The Corroboree
Magicdirt

APOCALYPTO

"If you've been brainwashed, how would you know?" :wink:

"To an artificial mind, all reality is virtual. How do they know that the real world isn't just another simulation? How do you?" - Animatrix, Matriculated (brilliant episode that one!)

synchromesh, what video were u referring to, and was that post aimed at me or incognito? :) personally I don't click on outside video links as i have been traumatised in the past lol by some shit that has been sent or linked to me. Who's to say your video isn't going to brainwash me anyway :P

The Dude -

Nice.

"We all know that art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth."

- Pablo Picasso

"I think cinema, movies, and magic have always been closely associated. The very earliest people who made film were magicians."

- Francis Ford Coppola

"Cinema is the most beautiful fraud in the world."

- Jean-Luc Godard

"Film as dream, film as music. No form of art goes beyond ordinary consciousness as film does, straight to our emotions, deep into the twilight room of the soul."

- Ingmar Bergman

Meeka -

The one I posted.

Incognito.

right. That would be one of those outside links that I mentioned i dont like to click on. I like to learn via experience and observation thats all that means anything to me. Other people's opinions and ideas and theories dont hold any meaning to me necessarily. :D

and i dont go for crazy-man conspiracy nut horsepoop :)

why the hell do ostriches do that? i mean... cant have served them well in an evolutionary perspective. i mean, a predator animal would still think its an ostrich yeah??

they r meant to be fuken fast so why not run?

i swear if u cover one eye and stand on your head you can see the sign of the illuminati just clear as day amongst its feathers? whats r u trying to push on us dude??? hey? ibet the bitch is in league with lady gaga and timberland :rolleyes:

man for some weird reason i want to become an ostrich farmer now..

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

:chinscratch: ostriches don't do that but humans usually do when their comfortable reality is threatened

it's not an outside link, it's an embedded youtube video but you do have to click on it to be taken to youtube proper before you can watch it, and its a darren brown video which has nothing to do with conspiracy.

When an ostrich sights possible danger from a distance they have a habit of dropping to the ground, with their necks parallel to it, watching the suspected predator intently. It is thought that this behaviour might have been misconstrued as stick their head in the ground and gave birth to the well know story. However, when the danger gets too close, the ostrich, like most animals, will take flight and beat a hasty retreat.

Edited by mescalito

Be that as it may, the metaphor of sticking your head in the ground to hide from a scary truth still applies. I think the ostrich may do that to cool its head actually?

Edited by The Dude

To me the subconscious is only scary because it's hidden and utterly unknowable. That doesn't mean you can't try to get to know it. The trickster god of chaos will always confound ones understanding and the control trip of order that is ego cannot pin this down, this forever unknown aspect of reality is abhorrent to all that the ego stands for, so to retain that original sense of self one must hide from anything that would challenge that, like the notion that No you aren't in total control of your world view, it's called chaos, you can hide from it or embrace it.

more 2c

• Like 1

just to be sure of my own meaning of the movie, how i interpreted it i did the atypical "meaning of the movie apocalypso" search on googs.

the results dont really matter that much and lets just say most of the random info read by myself didnt really shed any light onto any hidden meanings or secret briefs. all in all it seems its just analysed as a action film.

have only seen the movie once so its hard for me to get into any real banter about other meanings and how it can be deciphered in any other practical ways other than a story about a man who gets into deep shit.

sometimes i think it takes watching the same movie multiple times to understand a deeper hidden meaning, so one day i look forward to doing just that to analyse any possible hidden meanings.

the most interesting fact i did find was the movie closely resembles the 1966 movie THE NAKED PREY http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Prey

both these movies tend to be linked via some notion of copycatting via movie critics.

and i dont go for crazy-man conspiracy nut horsepoop :)

Redundant, much? You still haven't explained how the Power of Suggestion is a conspiracy theory, opposed to a completely real phenomenon backed by science...

i didn't know ostriches lay low to the ground, but wouldn't it depend on what the danger was? a lion or something maybe. i'm reasonably sure they can hold their own against a human and would stand their ground! they are frighteningly big anyway, and there is a .gif on the internet of one having a go at an elephant. the elephant grabs it around the neck with it's trunk and pulls, taking it's nasty beak out of the fight :P

they do dig nests which i thought was the origin of the myth.

strangely enough a the night or two after i saw a doco on commercial tv about cortez and his conquest which was a brilliant refresher course on the subject......absolutely amazing story how 200 initial men could defeat a city of 2 million quite intimidating aztecs..........

so i got onto the subject with my dad who loves a historical chat and he produced 2 books from his collection written many many centuries ago about those conquests by cortez.

he took me to the page (of many pages relating to the human sacrifice and cannibalism practices of the aztec empire) which wrote but i will not quote at this stage until i have it in front of me.

24000 human sacrifices via the alter, heart ripped out, beheaded and body violated and then thrown down the steps for human consumption in a 24 hour period.....in one documented capture of information by westerners (spanish?). now thats some hardcore sacrifice............stangely enough when some of cortez's men were captured and sacrificed and eaten.......it was complained that cortez's men tasted aweful.

as always truth is stranger than fiction.

So what's your point? That the winning side always tells the truth?

You do realize that the Mayans and the Aztecs were two different cultures, don't you?

If I wanted to see a film involving people running around the jungle I'd much rather watch Predator.

I thought this movie was shit house. I hated the way they made portrayed this culture. Mel Gibson is a fing twat hole

In what way? the movie suggested that the mayan was ruthlessly bloodthirsty by our standards and it is pretty accurate. City states like Chichen Itza were mayan and most of the time they were virtual factories of human sacrifice at a pretty impressive rate - you wouldnt want to lose on the ball court there that is for sure.

the temple of the warriors I think its called has a lovely statue of Chak Mool holding a bowl where the cut out hearts of captive sacrifices were placed to bleed out onto the temple steps.

There is also another temple that is made up of skull images and was another popular mass sacrificial alter.

Much of the culture of city states like Chichen Itza and Tonina as examples was based on ritual sacrifice and warfare. Nearly all the reliefs at the Tonina city-state site depict either ritual bleeding, be-heading or warfare. Tonina was so successful as a city state that it has reliefs that depict its conquering of Baak (Palenque) and its capture and ritual be-heading of its Ruler.

The Toltecs were also quite impressive at focusing and indulging in mass scale human sacrifice. Infact they took it to the next level. SO it would be pretty safe to say that the major focus of the culture and thought of the Toltecs and some of the Mayan city states was warfare and ritual sacrifice.

On the other hand, city states like Tikal (if your going to see one Mayan temple, please make this your choice), Lamanai (not its real name), and Baak (Palenque) are impressive becuase of the depth of their culture, knowledge and architecture. They also still indulged in ritual sacrifice and warfare between the two big groups of city states is believed to be the cause of the eventual Mayan decline.

At the end of the day there seems to be this dubious opinion that Mayan culture was all about star gazing, temple building, tripping and agriculture and that the only blood thristy culture was the Aztecs. This just isnt true, the Mayan and Toltec cultures were brutally sacrificial. The Zapotecs were probably the least violent - there is no evidence at most of their archaeological sites that ritual sacrifice was practised by these people and some of the stuff you see in Oaxaca demonstrates a rich mythology and culture.

But the Aztec culture drew heavily on the Toltec; the Toltec was pretty much identical in many ways to the Mayan and the Zapotec culture is probably the most cuklturally distinct and unique out of the bunch. The aztecs were the most impressive agriculturalists, the most impressive at city building and at maintaining a fairly peaceful dynasty. This cannot be said of the Mayan who spent most of their history fueding between citystates.

Zen Peddler... Like SlyBacon, I simply just thought the movie was shit. It doesn't matter what Mayan's actually did - I just personally think the movie sucked dick and it did nothing for me.

Zen Peddler... Like SlyBacon, I simply just thought the movie was shit. It doesn't matter what Mayan's actually did - I just personally think the movie sucked dick and it did nothing for me.

yeah it was kinda stupid actually. Had some ok bits though. But, sorry I thought this was a penis measuring competition and Ive already drawn mine... And like the katana of a samurai, once drawn it must receive usage...

i like the part where he brutally kills every cunt.

the "part", as in most of the movie? :P

Epic movie though

ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg

why the hell do ostriches do that? i mean... cant have served them well in an evolutionary perspective. i mean, a predator animal would still think its an ostrich yeah??

they r meant to be fuken fast so why not run?

i swear if u cover one eye and stand on your head you can see the sign of the illuminati just clear as day amongst its feathers? whats r u trying to push on us dude??? hey? ibet the bitch is in league with lady gaga and timberland :rolleyes:

man for some weird reason i want to become an ostrich farmer now..

Bwahahaahahaha