The Corroboree
Alchemica

Help the Shulgins

PLEASE HELP, SASHA NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT

Hello Everyone ~ This morning on the way to the hospital for a scheduled test, Sasha had a stroke. He has been struggling for six months with an ulcer on his left foot that won’t heal, hoping to avoid amputation. Sasha & Ann have been in serious financial trouble for some years, and the coming medical bills will be a burden they can’t bear alone. Please, express your gratitude for all the work that Sasha has done, for everything he has given to the world, and give something back. Think of all the ways that your life, and the lives of others, have been healed, transformed, and bettered by this wonderful man. He needs your help now. No amount is too small or too large. Please give until it feels good...not until it hurts. For non-tax-deductible contributions, Paypal $ to [[email protected]] or snailmail: Sasha Shulgin, c/o Transform Press, PO Box 13675, Berkeley CA 94712.

For tax-deductible online donations to support the completion of Shulgin publishing projects that are underway: http://www.erowid.org/donations/project_shulgin.php

Please spread this information.

Thank you and all my love, Greg Manning

via http://www.facebook.com/sashaShulgin

hope he does ok, doesn't sound good.

listen this may sound weird and i mean no offense but shouldnt the shulgins already be doing pretty well money wise, i mean the family has sold a million books and if i was going to donate money to anyone it would be to the drug rehabilitation centres that deal with the fallout from drugs like E........no matter how much i admire a certain person (which i dont because i dont prescribe to leary shulgin charles manson type hero worship) i dont feel they should get preferetial treatment just because of a superimposed morality based.....more or less on drug creation.

however i wish his family and sasha all the best.

:huh::( Has he used anything like cannabis oil yet, or has he just been relying on the doctors?

no matter how much i admire a certain person (which i dont because i dont prescribe to leary shulgin charles manson type hero worship) i dont feel they should get preferetial treatment just because of a superimposed morality based.....more or less on drug creation.

Equating Shulgin with Manson in a thread which seeks to help him... Brilliant! :rolleyes:

there not asking for financial support because he had a stroke this morning they were already asking for donations because there compiling and publishing all his original lab papers and need funding for the project. Sasha must be on his way out if its made news on facebook.

I dont think its a plug for $ympathy just letting us know about an unfinished project im sure with all the medical bills going on publishing a book would be a strain.

listen this may sound weird and i mean no offense but shouldnt the shulgins already be doing pretty well money wise, i mean the family has sold a million books and if i was going to donate money to anyone it would be to the drug rehabilitation centres that deal with the fallout from drugs like E........no matter how much i admire a certain person (which i dont because i dont prescribe to leary shulgin charles manson type hero worship) i dont feel they should get preferetial treatment just because of a superimposed morality based.....more or less on drug creation.

Shulgin has never suggested to my knowledge that these drugs be taken like candy and abused. He is a pioneer in the synthesis and exploration of psychoactive substances. He has made available a lifetime of work - publically and in the scientific literature - that has paved the way for future exploration of medicinal compounds, understanding how the brain works in healthy and diseased states and generated tools for psychotherapy. Anyone who thinks it's perfectly without consequence (good and bad) to introduce a plant or chemical into the body, especially in excess, probably shouldn't do so.

I like David Nichols statement, "...Some day in the future, when it may again be acceptable to use chemical tools to study the mind, this book [PIHKAL] will be a treasure-house, a sort of sorcerer's book of spells, to delight and enchant the psychiatrist/shaman of tomorrow."

The highly regarded Nichols has been just one of the scientists who has expanded on Shulgin's work. One aspect of his work has been studying non-neurotoxic empathogen/entactogens. Just because he has synthesised and tested some of this compounds on rats does not mean he approves of greedy research chemical dealers taking his creations and flooding the European market with essentially untested drugs... Is this Professor of Medicinal Chemistry in the same league as Charles Manson?

As for being wealthy - I don't think so. He lives a simple life. Check out the Dirty Pictures trailer for some glimpses:

Scientific exploration is expensive. I'd hate to think how much it would cost if all of Shulgin's work was done in a academic or corporate pharmaceutical laboratory. I don't know how much he has had to fund himself (after the days of Dow) but much of it is probably self funded as a labor of love. He has also just finished volume one of The Shulgin Index - a very long and time consuming project. He really has spent a lot of his life giving back his valuable knowledge to the community.

Also, remember health care in the US is crap and expensive... and his status as a chemist and pharmacologist of the people aside, he seems to be a genuinely nice guy and a wealth of wisdom worthy of health and happiness.

Anyway, I felt that a small donation - although not much - was to a worthy cause. If you don't agree, there's no need to donate.

Lofty, my impression is that most of the donations will be used towards his health at the moment but I could be wrong. Through the Erowid site the donations seem to be for preservation of his notes etc but direct Paypal donations to Sasha and Ann seem to be for use as needed.

• Like 4

maybe they should immigrate to oz and get free health care?

I think his health status and age would be the very reason he would be refused residency here, unfortunately. This is not the easiest country to move to.

Dear Friends,

Sasha is in the hospital in San Francisco recovering from a small stroke that occurred at the base of the brain. The only damage "so far" seems to be to the part of the brain that controls the speech centers. So he has to enunciate carefully when he speaks, in order to be understood. There is also loss of awareness in the throat around the entrance to the windpipe. So he has to have liquids thickened slightly to prevent them from going down the wrong tube. The normal cough reflex has gone "temporarily, we hope". There is no apparent paralysis anywhere, and we all hope the damage that has occurred will repair. Sasha's left foot will need either surgery, the best course of treatment for his non-healing ulcers, or amputation, the thing we are hoping to prevent. All this is due to a circulatory problem, and the decision has to be made by the doctors very soon.

Sasha somehow maintains his good humor and his loving disposition, bless him; only when his foot is painful does he lose his smile.

We don't know when he will be back home, but we hope he will be released within a couple of days. Thank you for your concern and caring. We'll keep you informed.

Ann Shulgin

You can now

Show your support

Visit and keep up to date

Leave a message in his guestbook

Receive e-mail notifications when his journal is updated

at http://www.caringbri...org/visit/shura

Edited by Alchemica

That's sad news indeed,I've always had the utmost respect for the "Tool Maker" and his brilliance.

He brought forward so many discoveries that humanity could utilise for good....makes me want to go round and kick some peoples arse in about this town as they are all on "Pingers" and couldn't give a damn who,why,where or how.....they just eat 'em abuse and escape reality.

Was offered some yesterday from someone who was buzzing because he thought it'd be cool to flip off his young family and missus who is in very poor health for the weekend AGAIN and get smashed with his so called "mates"......

Can only send vibes atm unfortunately.

All the best Sasha and Ann

I'm no chemist.

but i have read pihkal & tihkal front to back. and followed the shulgin story for as long as i can remember........and i find it absolutely, astounding that any member on THIS forum could front up and suggest that they're rich from selling millions of books - "they surely don't need donations do they?" or words to that effect.

All Ann is merely trying to say is "show your support(and if u can help with med bills-that would be extremely helpful) thats all.

I normally dont get so fired up but.... then again, it's christmas time and it's usually the time to go all postal.

As for "i dont prescribe to leary shulgin charles manson type hero worship) i dont feel they should get preferential treatment just because of a superimposed morality based.....more or less on drug creation."

????

Go read "The Family" by Ed Sanders and then discuss the similarities between Manson and shulgin. One used drugs directly to mindmeld weak people into killing defenseless souls, the other used an empathogen analogue to help people - until the fda got all up in his face about it.

I'm not writing this to offend..............i just wanted to share a little bit of my mind set.thats all.

peace