The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
santiago

New Member Introductions

I noticed thismorning that there is 3 threads with new members introducing themselves

Would it be viable to have a single thread for new members to introduce themselves and basically they have direction from day one. Seems better that way then for multiple random new member threads. Maybe its been done before and didnt work im not sure.

eg

Welcome

Tell us about yourself

read the rules

FAQ

links

I can always go back and re-edit this into something appropriate or if one of the mods or another member wants to do it instead feel more than happy to do so.

I noticed that too and was also thinking that same thing its a good idea.

just my two cents :)

some introduction threads go on to be very long threads, while others fade away quickly. I think combining them would just confuse things.

the volume of threads isn't overwhelming yet, so probably doesn't need fixing yet.

I agree with Torsten.

Oh and... Welcome new members!

I should have actually elaborated on that a little more. To be honest, I am not too fond of simple 'hi, i am new here, but don't really have anything to contribute yet' type introductions which are so common in 'new member' subforums. Pretty much everyone has something to contribute and if they haven't been here long enough to work out what that might be then maybe they are better off lurking for a few days anyway. Meaningless smalltalk bores me in real life as much as on forums, so if all a new member has to contribute is his false name and 'hello', then that falls well within my definitions of a pointless post.

We have a rich traditions here of new members introducing themselves with something worthwhile. It might be a plant pic, a decription of what they are into and why they are here, a question, or even just a rant. But at least it is something that stimulates conversation beyond 'welcome'. So if an introduction thread has such other content, then it is welcome in a number of forums, not just the chill space. Forcing introductions to be in the new members forum would simply duplicate this process.

btw, this isn't supposed to sound harsh. There is no minimum level of expected 'other content' other than there being other content. I mean, I'd prefer for someone to introduce themselves with a simple question in the same post rather than nothing at all. At least the question will tell us *something* about that person.

• Like 2

Hi Guys, i assume that making one big introduction thread wouldnt work. Besides i somehow like the introduction threads as long as they are good. But Torsten is totally right...people should take some time for making unique introduction threads. You dont get a second chance for a first impression. :wink: bye Eg

I agree mostly with your sentiments T but wouldn't having a new member subforum provide an easy 'in' or icebreaker type place for newer members to feel more comfortable posting their initial questions and introductions? I don't really care that much about it btw I have just seen it done on other forums to good affect/effect, (can never work out which of those is the right word lol).

Yep I agree with kindness I also don't really care but its better then every time someone new that joins makes their first 'pointless' post (as Torsten said, hi how are yah etc..) in the cacti/myc/ethno forums.

Then again a fair few new members come here looking for I.D's or an answer to a question that may have already been answered elsewhere.

As Torsten said the forums aren't overflowing with new comers so i suggest even a locked thread that you are linked to when you register that as santiago said has Posting rules, FAQ's, informative links, welcome to the Corroboree etc..

i think there are like tree different types of how people introduce themselves,

some bring information into ther first posts, which always comes across as very positive, and it can be something as simple as a pic of a plant or cacti you like.

some people just say hello, and this is definately a very polite methode.

but, a very few people come here, and try to only take from the first post onwards, without ever much putting back towards the comunety.

a first post which already shows us, some of you interresst, is probably a very good methode of saying hello to the forum.

very often, a person lurks for a while, and only post's his or her first time, if they feel very codfident about giving a good reply, or as said above there is a history of very good first posts on this site,

but what, i meant to say is, "stopp lurking and start posting"!!

and another thing, if you feel insecure about posting, don't be, as all of the people here are probably far less judgemental than, people outside the ethno world.

sometimes we had mebers posting, which were a bit iliterate, but nobody put down that poster, as the "info" is priorety and not the way, you writte.

Edited by planthelper

Lets be honest. If we had an introduction subforum most people wouldnt bother to check it anyway. So whats the point of having one? :lol:

Im sure newbies have it easier to find their way into the community if we keep their introduction threads in a frequented forum. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

welcome laserteeth, it is a great forum to be part of.

just a quick heads up to any future new members, this is not an official introduction thread...its been decided for now new members to introduce themselves via your own introduction thread or by joining in an existing thread.

this was a question to the the mods/admin about possible future direction but for now we have decided as a group NOT to go down the "INTRODUCTION" thread kind of mentality.

if new members still want to go down this path, well then im sure were more than happy to accept it as those new to forums sometimes find it easier but please read above first and make up your own mind.

Edited by santiago

Hey laserteeth, Welcome aboard anyway.smile.gif

Hi All,

Just got my registration approved!

Seems like a great board, it's good to have one based in Aus.

Hahaha

He's just got here and already he's hijacking other peoples threads.

Maybe this thread has just become the thread Santiago was saying we need.

Just joking about hijacking threads mate, welcome to the Corroboree, I hope you like it here.

Hahaha

He's just got here and already he's hijacking other peoples threads.

Maybe this thread has just become the thread Santiago was saying we need.

Just joking about hijacking threads mate, welcome to the Corroboree, I hope you like it here.

Hi

John here. I live in north Europe and grow cactus outdoors in the summertime (and now in the winter indors). You guys are fortunate with your climate. It is not that easy to make cacti flower and produce seeds here.

Peace

John

Welcome to the Corroboree John. I hope that your name really is Watson :D

I agree that some of us are fortunate to be in the tropics. Or at least our plants are. It gets bleeding hot though.

G'day Dr JohnBWatson. Welcome. smile.gif .

G'day John

Good luck with the cactus, it would certainly be a challenge in that climate.