The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

ADDITIVE ALERT , Food additives and sensitivity

i like this pic on the link mesc.. your palm island one didnt work for me tho

Fixed :blush:

Our loving government loves to keep us safe from nasty ,nasty plants , but this sort of poisoning happens with their consent , surely even the most non-conspiracy minded types should be asking WHY

So it's not just me? :wink:

great thread. it's inspired me again to pay more attention to what i eat. sometimes i am very vigilant and sometimes i get very lazy....its funny how if you go a long while without eating anything shit as soon as you do eat something dodgy...even minor dodginess like dairy...your body lets you know straight away. i can't believe the stuff i used to eat in my early twenties and teens. so much shit. now as soon as i take a bite of something shit i can feel it clogging my system. it's a shame that we are saturated with such poisons these days and an even bigger shame that trying to eat healthily is fucking expensive. but in the end, totally worth it.

everyone should check out this youtube clip of Vandana Shiva giving a talk on the future of food. it's only a few minutes long. very interesting and worrying.

she is giving a talk at the sydney opera house on november the 4th if anyone is interested:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115752355152984&ref=ts

its funny how if you go a long while without eating anything shit as soon as you do eat something dodgy...even minor dodginess like dairy...your body lets you know straight away.

Yeah, and it can let you know in more ways than one as well. Although it's usually just an upset stomach for me, I've also had things like headaches and dizzy spells after eating some junk.

Top 10 Inflammatory Foods

damn why did alcohol have to be on this list, im gonna cut down

Top 10 Inflammatory Foods to Avoid Like the Plague

Stay clear of these inflammation-causing foods to instantly upgrade your health

According to the statistics from the World Health Organization, about 12.9 million people worldwide died from some form of cardiovascular disease in 2004. And each year, the World Cancer Research Fund estimated that some eight million people died from cancer. Heart disease and cancer, the deadly manifestation of chronic inflammation, are expected to remain as the leading causes of death in developed countries for many years to come. But study after study shows that the risk of heart disease and cancer are modifiable by our lifestyle choices which include the food we choose to eat each day. With every bite that we take, we're either balancing the pro- and anti-inflammatory compounds in the body, or we tip the scale to one end.

To tip the balance in your favor, other than incorporating more natural anti-inflammatory foods in our diet, it's also equally important to avoid or cut down on foods which are known to promote inflammation. Here, we look at the top ten foods which set the stage for inflammatory diseases:

1. Sugars

• sugar_inflammatory_food.jpgPro-inflammatory Agent: Excessive sugar intake has been linked to increased risks of obesity, inflammation and chronic diseases such as syndrome X and type 2 diabetes.
    Find them in: Sugar-sweetened beverages like soft drinks, fruit drinks and punches are one of the major sources of dietary sugars that many have overlooked. Do you know that drinking a can of Coke is as good as sucking ten sugar cubes? Other obvious sugar-loaded foods to avoid or at least limit include pastries, desserts, candies and snacks. And when you're looking out for sugar in the ingredients list, note that sugar has many names: corn syrup, dextrose, fructose, golden syrup, maltose, sorghum syrup and sucrose are some of the creative names used.
    Inflammation-dousing Substitute: Got a sweet tooth? Opt for natural sugars found in whole fresh fruits instead. Not only do they give you the sweetness you crave for, they also supply you with antioxidants and fibers that you can't find in sugary foods and drinks, including fruit juices. Dates, figs, persimmons, kiwis, papayas, watermelons and tangerines are but some of the natural healthy snacks you can sink your teeth into.

2. Common Cooking Oils

3. Trans Fats

• transfat_inflammatory_food.jpgPro-inflammatory Agent: Trans fatty acids are notorious for their double whammy effect: they increase the levels of 'bad' cholesterol, while lowering levels of the 'good' cholesterol. But that's not all they can do. They have also been found to promote inflammation, obesity and resistance to insulin, laying the ground for degenerative illnesses to take place.
    Find them in: Deep fried foods, fast foods, commercial baked goods and those prepared with partially hydrogenated oil, margarine and vegetable shortening. Note that items that list 0g trans fats on the label may still contain some amount of this toxic fats. This is because in the US, the government allows items containing less than 0.5g of trans fats to be declared as trans-fat free. Commercially prepared peanut butter is one good example. Your best bet is to read the ingredients list and make sure partially hydrogenated oil or vegetable shortening is not used.
    Inflammation-dousing Substitute: Look for alternative products that contain no trans fats, or don't have partially hydrogenated oil or vegetable shortening in the ingredients list. When in doubt, assume that all commercially prepared foods contain trans fats unless stated otherwise.

4. Dairy Products

5. Feedlot-Raised Meat

6. Red Meat & Processed Meat

• redmeat_inflammatory_food.jpgPro-inflammatory Agent: Researchers at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine found that red meat contains a molecule that humans don't naturally produce called Neu5Gc. After ingesting this compound, the body develops anti-Neu5Gc antibodies – an immune response that may trigger chronic inflammatory response. And low-grade simmering inflammation that won't go away has been linked to cancer and heart disease.
    Processed meat, which refers to meat that has been smoked, cured, salted or chemically preserved, is not any better. In the 2007 report by the World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer Research, processed meat, along with red meat, have been stated as a convincing cause of cancers of the colon and rectum, and possibly esophagus and lung cancer too.
    Find them in: Common red meats are beef, lamb and pork, while processed meat include hams, sausages and salami.
    Inflammation-dousing Substitute: You don't need to avoid red meat totally, though the same thing can't be said for processed meat. No amount of processed meat is safe. Replace the bulk of your red meat with organic vegetables, poultry and fish, and relegate red meat to a weekly treat. When you do eat red meat, remember to choose lean cuts and preferably, that of grass-fed animals.

7. Alcohol

• alcohol_inflammatory_food.jpgPro-inflammatory Agent: Regular high consumption of alcohol has been known to cause irritation and inflammation of the esophagus, larynx (voice box) and liver. Over time, the chronic inflammation promotes tumor to grow and gives rise to cancer at the sites of repeated irritation.
    Find them in: Beers, ciders, liquors, liqueurs, and wines.
    Inflammation-dousing Substitute: A refreshing and thirst-quenching glass of pure, filtered water, anyone? icon_smile.gif How about a cup of anti-aging and anti-inflammatory green tea? If you find the idea of swapping ethanol for water or tea implausible, at least limit your consumption to no more than one drink a day.

8. Refined Grains

• refinedgrains_inflammatory_food.jpgPro-inflammatory Agent: A lot of the grains we eat nowadays are refined. They are devoid of fiber and vitamin B compared to unpolished and unrefined grains that still have the bran, germ and the aleurone layer intact. This makes refined grains as good as refined sugars, which are practically empty calories. And like refined sugars, refined grains have a higher glycemic index than unprocessed grains and when they are consistently consumed, can hasten the onset of degenerative diseases like cancer and coronary disease.
    Find them in: Refined grains and products made out of them are almost everywhere. The common ones are: white rice, white flour, white bread, noodles, pasta, biscuits and pastries. To make things worse, many products with refined grains undergo further processing to enhance their taste and look, and are often loaded with excess sugar, salt, artificial flavors and/or partially hydrogenated oil in the process. A prime example is boxed cereals which contain substantial amounts of added sugar and flavorings.
    Inflammation-dousing Substitute: Go for minimally processed grains if you are not gluten intolerant. Note that just because the box says whole grains, it doesn't mean that the grains inside are 100% intact. The problem is due to a lack of an internationally accepted definition for the word 'wholegrain'. Admittedly, it's not easy to tell whether a product is truly wholegrain or not. When in doubt, if it doesn't look close to its natural state, don't buy.

9. Artificial Food Additives

• msg_inflammatory_food.jpgPro-inflammatory Agent: Some artificial food additives like aspartame and monosodium glutamate (MSG) reportedly trigger inflammatory responses, especially in people who are already suffering from inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
    Find them in: Only packaged foods contain artificial food additives. If you must buy them, read the labels carefully and weigh your risks. If you order Chinese takeaways, make sure you've the option to ask for no MSG. Otherwise, look elsewhere. As for sweeteners, there are plenty of great natural alternatives that come with less implications such as dates and beetroots. Why settle for poor and potentially health-destroying artificial substitute?
    Inflammation-dousing Substitute: Besides limiting the consumption of processed foods, use anti-inflammatory" rel="external nofollow">http://theconsciouslife.com/9-natural-anti-inflammatory-herbs.htm">anti-inflammatory herbs and sweet fruits to add flavor to your dishes instead of relying on food additives.

10. Fill in the blank>

• allergic_inflammatory_food.jpgPro-inflammatory Agent: Why is this blank? Because it is meant for you to fill it with the type of food that you're allergic or sensitive to. Many people are sensitive to certain food and yet are unaware about it. Because symptoms caused by food intolerance or allergy can be delayed and when they do appear, they are mistaken as common ailments such as tiredness and headaches. But repeated, long-term exposure to food that irritates can cause inflammation and lead to chronic diseases.
    Find them in: Common food allergens are gluten, milk, nuts, eggs and nightshade vegetables. Contrary to common belief, it is possible to develop an allergy to the foods that you eat often.
    Inflammation-dousing Substitute: If you suspect that a particular food may be responsible for your food intolerant response, try avoiding it completely for about two weeks and monitor your reaction. At the end of the abstinence period, re-introduce the food back into your diet. If you're in fact incompatible with it, you should be able to notice the difference in how you feel easily.

http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-inflammatory-foods-to-avoid.htm

Edited by blowng

Not surprising. I would need to live in the bush, far away from any shop, so as not to be tempted to have some of those foods. Why does things that taste so good, have to be so bad for you, Chocolate , Pavlova , cheese, bourbon etc... My Motto is 'Everything in moderation' hey.

We've taken all the additives out of the foods we eat... we did it for the kids initially, but when we researched it a little more, it became for us too... My next step is an RO unit for our house to get rid of all the shit in the water...

Additive alert by Julie Eady, i got onto it cos i used to work with her husband, and he showed me the book (about 4 years ago now)... I was amazed with the amount of shit allowed in our food... It's actually good to se that there are more and more products with no additives, colours and preservatives in the supermarket shelves.

However, better than that, we're starting to make our own everything, and this is a big relief... Back to the old days, and why not.

Making rock cakes and anzac biscuits for the kids, they love them, and it's good to get them wanting to rely on themselves for food, and giving them the knowledge to do things for themselves in the future.

I would agree with most things on that list except for MSG* and dairy, both which occur naturally and have been unequivocally proven to be safe (although certain people have sensitivities to one/both).

Edit: after reading an interesting article on the discovery of MSG I learn that even human milk contains glutamate! And dairy!

*recovering MSG addict

Edited by oxydiser

No matter if MSG occurs naturally or not, having it added into food makes me seriously ill, and can turn normally sane children into little bastards..at least in this house :P There's nothing you can't make from scratch at home anyway and home made food minus the artificial crap tastes a hell of alot better than the processed shit that is for sale at supermarkets... I cringe when I see products like 'white sauce' available in sachets... Probably one of the cheapest most simple sauces to make at home... And minus the beverage whitener they add in the packet stuff !

Oh and where is the unequivocal proof that msg is safe? *taps fingers on the table*