The Corroboree
Bush Turkey

historic tree ring barked

What F*#~"* would do this to a tree that is several hundred years old ( or any tree). The media probably shouldn't advertise this, it may start up a copycat . Maybe the tree will send off new shoots from the base.

That is pretty low. Someone put some time and thought into this, therefore time and thought should be used to think of an adequate punishment.

Hope the police find who did this.

Someone who does something like this, puts some much effort into such a pointless exercise... the world doesn't need such baggage. Oxygen thief plain and simple. No second chance, anyone with the mentality to think this would be a good idea should be gotten rid of.

Taken to a deep pit, chucked in, build a long drop on top and let people take a shit on them till they drown in it. Now THAT, almost approaches justice. Almost.

WTF? What possible reason would there be for someone to do that?

Fucking scum.

That is pretty low. Someone put some time and thought into this, therefore time and thought should be used to think of an adequate punishment.

An eye for an eye...? Tomahawk the offender's ankles to the bone.

I don't actually condone that, but man that sucks. Seriously, karma will get the perpetrator . Once he/she/they grow up and realise what they did that will weigh on their conscience til the day they die.

whilst i find this abhorrent

what about the fact that we've been cutting down trees like this for timber since we invented the axe?

whilst i find this abhorrent

what about the fact that we've been cutting down trees like this for timber since we invented the axe?

I see it as the difference between killing an animal to feed your family and killing an animal for the hell of it and leaving the carcass on the side of the road.

thats maliciously f*cked up!

it would have to be a statement of some sort - being on election eve and a tree with some political history.

as the tree was historically significant in relation to the vic/nsw split of 1851

who might possibly have a bone to pick against that...

mindless vandalism seems unlikely, but shouldnt ever underestimate stupidity

state loyalists - are they even existent?? maybe misguided bogan jingoism?

mining industry? (seeing as the state split in 1851 was related to gold finds in both states) a eureka stockade scenario?

migrant related? (growth of vic via immigration during gold rush)

land rights (differing old state views on socio-political land management)

aboriginal activism (trees as significant cultural anchors - i.e kills ours, we'll kill yours)

Edited by inpsyght

it was probably just blocking the view of some rich fucks.

yeh i had that thought T

somebody wanted the tree gone for selfish reasons. people actually cut down heritage listed trees and cop the fine just so they can have a nicer driveway and shit like that.

that was an obvious possibility but the tree isn't located anywhere near housing,

a map shows that its location discounts shading or view blocking as reason.

Edited by inpsyght

actually, the separation tree is on the edge of a treeline gap. widening that gap would allow better views from ~ # 124 to 134 Anderson st across the garden's lake. But people who kill trees for views usually elect a more certain and secretive method which also takes far less time than hacking away at a trunk for 10 minutes. Plenty of liquid poisons that would finish off a tree like that and would take literally 10 seconds to seal its fate. The nature of the attack does seem to indicate political motives. Maybe someone misunderstood what it actually stood for.

I see it as the difference between killing an animal to feed your family and killing an animal for the hell of it and leaving the carcass on the side of the road.

considering most ov our old growth forest are sold off as wood chips for 50c/tonne so as Japan can turn them into toilet paper & sell them back to us the analogy ov "killing an animal to feed your family" is wildly off the mark.

i agree w/ThunderIdeal, this is one tree in a park; Vic Forests clears whole stands ov old growth forest, sometimes breaking the law to do so.

Witness the recent Brown Mountain court case:

“If we hadn’t sued VicForests, Brown Mountain would have been illegally logged by now. And Brown Mountain is just one area. The Government is logging publicly owned forests every day without endangered species surveys,” Ms Redwood said.

“We are calling on the Government to respect the judgment by stopping logging in native forests that may contain rare wildlife, until the full implications of this judgment are examined.

“VicForests, the Government-owned logging monopoly, has a legal responsibility to protect endangered wildlife. They can’t just go in and log blindfolded.

“Victorians have always known native forest logging is immoral, uneconomic, unaccountable, unsustainable and unpopular. Today we’ve proved that where endangered species are present, or likely to be present, it’s potentially illegal as well.

“This extraordinary court case isn’t just about protecting Brown Mountain’s rich and ancient ark of rare wildlife; it’s about forcing the government to abide by its laws as anyone else would.

The local MP views it differently:

“East Gippslanders have long known that the Greens and their radical environmental groups are hell-bent on destroying a sustainable timber industry in Victoria,” Mr Ingram said.

“This latest action has the potential to cost thousands of industry jobs across the state.

“The State Government must work with the timber industry and VicForests to assess what actions they can take to ensure that this decision does not affect timber supply agreements.

“What is clear is that the decision has the potential to drastically affect the resource available for timber harvesting, which has already been through a death of a thousand cuts over recent years,” Mr Ingram said.

Environment groups are now concerned that the government may attempt to alter the laws to allow the destruction of endangered species habitat, as happened in Tasmania in 2008.

http://www.eastvicmedia.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1524&Itemid=87

I hope that all those who have expressed a desire to see the culprit ov this act punished in some way are also supporters ov those groups trying to stop the senseless destruction ov old growth forest.

like these guys:

http://www.eastgippsland.net.au/?q=node

If not, why not?

I went to bed last night with this on my mind. I was wondering ...WHY ??. Inspyght's theory about election eve is a good one and Torstens 'remove the tree for a better view' was close to what i was thinking, but this is what i came up with...

1). There is a proposed road or building of which the tree was in its path.

2). The spirit of this River Red Gum spoke to the perpetrator and asked them to release it from this form

3). The perpetrator was tripping and thought the River Red Gum asked for its release.

Will we ever know? I believe in Karma.

And yes, this was only one tree, but think of the stories it had to tell.

Edited by Amazonian

My first thought was views - but then the point of being able to kill the tree in a much faster way kinda nulled that idea. Not being from the area I am not familiar with it, the article above says it represents Vic and NSW separating... somehow I don't think that was figuring largely on whoever did it's mind... hmmm

It just seems pretty senseless... not everything has a motive, or one that is understandable to the 'semi' normal. Bloody teenagers got drunk and started taking out their pent up sexual tension on it?

round 'ere we do it this way:

post-3725-128234659093_thumb.jpg

reminds me of the tree of knowlege gettn poisoned......

A couple of drunken retards from around here thought it would be good sport to burn down one of the most prominent canoe trees in the area (think i showed a couple of lads last camp). Lucky there is a couple more but goddamn some folk are stupid.

To me if it's not a disgruntled person, or the rich fuck view issue, the other people i've had experience with were just mindless teenagers who didn't really know any better, educated people yet it's just a bit of fun for them, something to do, those people reflected the status of society to me imo, they didn't mean to do stupid shit, it was just them senselessly doing what they do in a lost society. I've done stupid environmental shit even in my apparent highly educated and conscious late school years, can't fathom why, we just didn't think and our broader societal upbringing just didn't instill the values that would make us not do the shit we did, there's a reason why psychedelics are used in 'adult' initiation in the environmentally conscious peoples of the globe, and there's a reason why western society tries to crush that initiation and essentially has!

I don't really think the old growth logging issue is really relevant in this thread, most people if not all here think it's fucked and would prefer a different approach to our resources, and while that argument is relevant for people complaining about this but support or ignore habitat loss issues etc, it really doesn't have much of a place here imo, not saying not to mention it, but it's preaching to the converted, well not converted, don't think many were ever on the other side and if so just a societal, generational or environmental upbringing.

Edited by gerbil

considering most ov our old growth forest are sold off as wood chips for 50c/tonne so as Japan can turn them into toilet paper & sell them back to us the analogy ov "killing an animal to feed your family" is wildly off the mark.

Yeah, and the analogy for the above is battery hen farms.

We treat animals like shit, we treat plants like shit.

We treat each other like shit.

We're the greatest race to ever grace the surface of the earth.

the reasaon why i am not sure this is a teenager prank is because most don't know how to ringbark and even if they did, this is wayyyy too much focussed work to actually be fun. And anyone dumb enough to put this much effort into killing this tree would also be too dumb to see the significance of it.

The things that strike me about this are

1) how neat the ring is. this shows some hatchet skills that 95% of aussie kids wouldn't have - probably 99% in the city.

2) how wide the ring is. ringbarking is usually done a couple of inches wide, however may need to be redone if the bark grows over the wound. whoever did this must be familiar with ringbarking and it's potential shortcomings. whoever did this wanted to make sure there was no way this wound could be dressed or repaired.

3) election eve message? what election eve message? either someone got their wires crossed or I am too thick to see how this can be a message.

4) why ringbark? it's so last century [or the one before]. Poison would have been much easier quicker and safer. So either the perpetrator doesn't like poison or he figured the ringbarking would make a better news story AND would be a story the next day rather than a week later in the case of poison.

so, sadly it looks like a well planned political statement designed to garner maximum media coverage. However they should have probably left a note to explain their reasoning. I wouldn't be surprised if nthey got their idea from the media coverage of the tree of knowledge poisoning.

You raise some good points Torsten, there is more to this then just some silly prank. I don't think it was about someone's view from a balcony but rather some sort of political statement.

could be a developer, like T said though poisons like Tordon are quicker, drill a hole fill with tordon bye bye..

could be a developer

Just a reminder that this is INSIDE the botanic gardens, ie this is not about building roads or highrises.

If you want to have a look at where it is, HERE is a map of the gardens. The separation tree is near gate A and is specifically marked. If you then compare that with the google maps link posted above you can see where the roads, houses and garden boundaries are. It puts it all into perspective.

Yeah, i am aware that the tree was/is inside the Botanical Gardens, but i reckon give it 18 months and something might show up there.( or the person responsible may be apprehended and tell us his story). Where i am , there was a proposed freeway which was being protested as it meant clearing a section of bushland which housed possums, echidnas, reptiles ,frogs...etc. Any way , last summer, there was conveniently a fire there which wiped out most of the bush . Now the freeway is under construction.

Also, another possible reason is that a colony of Flying foxes roosted in that tree and the chattering pissed someone off !

Edited by Amazonian