The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Light&Love

sawdust for mycelium

Hey Guys

Does anyone know where i would be able to get a whole bunch of sawdust? I was looking to start an outdoor patch and need some sawdust as a beginning substrate. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Peace

Try timber mills, cabinet makers, anyone that does woodwork.

They will usually jsut give it to you for free.

I could help you out if you were in Perth

Hey Guys

Does anyone know where i would be able to get a whole bunch of sawdust? I was looking to start an outdoor patch and need some sawdust as a beginning substrate. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Peace

you don't need to worry too much about using sawdust at the beginning. it helps but not necessary. you can use bits of cardboard to get the myc moving along. hessian sacks also provide an awesome medium for the myc to crawl through. it's not thick like woodchips so the myc has plenty of air and room to move along.

still, sawdust is a good medium if you can find it because the myc gets onto it quickly and it's easy for it to move along. places like bunnings will sell it but i'm sure you could get it free from parks or building sites or racecourses..

i just use whatever is handy and available.

we want pics of your construction as well!

What about the sawdust from particle boards like MDF and chip board. Could the glues used in these products (which are hazardous to your lungs) be transfered to the mycelium?

What about the sawdust from particle boards like MDF and chip board. Could the glues used in these products (which are hazardous to your lungs) be transfered to the mycelium?

I read somewhere that using treated woods is no good for the shrooms because of this reason above, but someone will be able to confirm that for both of us hopefully.

Avoid antything with any additives

It could end up in the fruits and anyone that eats them.

Some cedars have natural anti fungal compounds too so avoid them if possible.

Edited by Magicdirt

I've been told to use hardwood sawdust as opposed to lighter woods.

I'm not sure where you'd go about looking for hardwood sawdust in particular... it's a question i've been wondering myself.

Sawmills have tonnes of the stuff.

I work for a pallet manufacturer andcan get loads of it.

Yellow pages can be handy, type and availability would depend on area and industries going on; the easier stuff around here is Mountain Ash (Euc. regnans) 'cause of the local logging.

Different grades can be handy to get depending on what you are doing, with different grades they will be more or less appropriate depending on their structure to use alone or in mixes, as spawn or as bulk / fruiting substrate. Building structure can be important and good to tinker with until you've got a mix to suit what your doing, small particle alone might not get enough aeration, but mix that with larger particle up to fruiting chips and it fills the niche.

If you can get a branch stump or plank of your preferred timber, a circular saw is all you need to make your own uncontaminated saw dust

Edited by mac

As Magic dirt said i would stay away from dust from any manufactured boards. And probably the super fine dust from sanding machines.

If you can locate a wood turner or better yet a club we tend to produce prodigious amounts of lathe shavings plus all the chainsaw chips & band saw dust. Most turners like to keep their lathe clean so you could even be able to pick the species of dust if your lucky.

An electric plane is handy for making your own.

• Like 1

An electric plane is handy for making your own.

Thats an awesome Idea.

Will have to find mine in the shed this weekend

:)

Some council playgounds have finely chipped woodchips under the swings.

If you pay rates you've already paid for it ! :innocent_n:

Some council playgounds have finely chipped woodchips under the swings.

If you pay rates you've already paid for it ! :innocent_n:

There's a playground near where I live where the entire bark bed is covered in mycelium only an inch down. When kids get a bit too rough on the swings you can see splotches of white mycelium everywhere :D

Never seen it fruit though :(