The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hashassian

honey honey honey

hasha has had a 95% success rate using honey instead of a rooting hormone for cuttings.

tip from my nanna :)

hasha has had a 95% success rate using honey instead of a rooting hormone for cuttings.

tip from my nanna :)

Interesting.. Got any examples of cuttings used. How much variety? Got any examples?

mr me, it has worked with everything ive tried so far.

from roses and azalea to goji, vocanga, cancer bush, and someone has told me MJ just to name a few.

my nan is a champion florist and it was one of her "keep it natural" tips.

honey is tops!! try some vegemite!

honey is tops!! try some vegemite!

That does not really answer the question on comparison to rooting powders, but I'll just assume that you rank it highly. Thanks for the handy growing tips, i like the all natural aspect.

swim took 30 cuttings from maryjane.

10 rooting hormone (powder)

10 honey (organic local)

10 nothing

7 took the hormone

9 took the honey

4 took nothing

not alot of difference i suppose, but i like the natural and supporting local producers.

wonder if end product will have a honey taste? lol

i also know alot of local growers will starve the plant with water 3 weeks before harvest and only feed it pure olive oil??? reakon it makes the buds bigger and heavier? hhmmmmmm italiano's!!! lol

Yep, honey works wonders on cuttings and on toast. I have to laugh at ppl who buy clonex at 15bux a jar at hydro rip off stores. Most of the time the 2 dollar powder from the supermarket works just as good if not better than clonex, but yeh honey is by far the cheapest and one of the most effective for striking easy to do cuttings.

clonex works best as a dilute foliar spray for cuttings.

cactus loves the honey. manuka or however u spell it. think they are using it in hospitals now as it kills off bacteria thats resistants to anitiboitics.

How would you go about using it on cactus?

are you suggesting honey as a solution to cactus rot/pest problems? (honey can be good on burns and pressure sore type injuries in humans) or sweetening up the cactus feed?

So exactly how does this work? Dip the cut end in honey, and then into rooting medium (perlite, vermiculite, etc?)?

Honey hey! ill have to give it ago with some acacias im having trouble with. thanks for the tip!

Very interesting, someone might have to do a picture log of cuttings in hormone powder, some in honey and some in Vegemite and find out what works best.

there are so many variables, just in terms of conditions (including prop environs, the type of cutting and the precise state of it's parent) and plant species.