The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Question on standard cost per cm of trichos

Hi can someone help me out, i answered an ad in the local newspaper on someone selling their overcrowded cacti collection...i rang them and asked if they had any Trichocereus and the reply was yes hahaha he has all the entheogenic types including named clones and that he payed such and such 5 years ago and they wont be cheap.... but then he says hed like to know what i am willing to pay for them ...i havent viewed them as yet but think that $1 per cm is right for named clones ? i have used the search engine .....is that right?, what about standard pachanoi and scopulicolus and peruvianus what are these all worth per cm ...so as i can sound like i know what im talking about... cheers

fuck the guy go asian style on his ass and say 10 cents per cm, if he flips you off so what..he raises you to a dollar a cm great take it, its not its really life or death stuff is it, being a 'proper' salesman is not about quantity you sell, anybody can sell a grandfather clock at a garage sale but the so called proper salesman once they see that you really like it and need it, your a sold duck who will pay too much for something you dont need.

1 per cm for echinopsis or

2 per cm squared for peyote is probably a easy rule of thumb.

Edited by santiago

while $1 per cm for 30cm healthy cutting are the norm. When you buy 500 bucks worth you do NOT pay anywhere near $1 per cm...

I would pay $1 per cm for a perfect, healthy, unblemished rooted plant if it was unique in some way.

Any blemishes or etoliation etc decrease the value considerably. As do common plants.

Also, if you're buying in bulk, the price drops dramatically. I've purchased at 10c per cm when spending a reasonable amount of coin.

It seems a little cheaper in NZ (even after the currency correction) but in Australia IMO hard to find named clones in good health like Bruce or Roseii fetch up to $1.50 per cm for 30-100cm's, reduced after that.

semi-common named clones like Eileen for $1.30cm, Standard pach/scop goes for about 80c-$1.00cm.

The width and age of the cut effects that price which can make it vary greatly though.

As for Lopho Will, Ive seen as much as $1mm for rarer ones.

whats the deal with Eileen these days? i started seeing Eileen go up in price buy like $5 or so, now im seeing 20cm Eileen getting sold for $42!!! im even seeing PC pach going for more than $1 cm! whats going on???

i'd say 50c-70c a cm for pach is a good price. and i wouldn't pay more than that if buying a decent amount. maybe if it was nice and fat...but pachs are very common so you can always find a cheap one somewhere.

$1 per cm for bridgesii's is generally what I've seen and i think it's fair enough if it's in good condition.

keep in mind prices on this forum are generally very generous and cheap as compared to ebay, nurseries or gardens r us (bastards).

whats the deal with Eileen these days? i started seeing Eileen go up in price buy like $5 or so, now im seeing 20cm Eileen getting sold for $42!!! im even seeing PC pach going for more than $1 cm! whats going on???

when you get a new increase or influx of new ethno interested people you will see particularly on e-bay the noobs/savages paying anything for a pach...it comes n goes plus you get these greedy fucks who think they can turn a trick on e-bay by selling Eileen etc for a lot more...the noobs love it, have to have em, and just go ape shit and will pay anything.

around here it stays pretty stable and the $1 a cm is the common price for named clones.

thats the thing. its not a noob, far from it. id expect to see it on e-bay or something but not on his site.

free if you hurry over to the free trade thread :P

Yeah. It was one dollar a CM 4 or 5 years ago. Or longer. A dollar used to by you something, too. When I was a lad... :rolleyes:

Times change. Your two dollar bottle of milk is now 4.90 ;) Get used to it. 30 cent cone is now 60 cents and yoru 5 dollar stamp booklet, 5.50.

I sell pach and pach hybrids, pristine condition, well rooted and issue free from time to time for anything up to 3.00 a cm and they just walk.Damn near run, when advertised along side the ugly, scabby, swampy looking specimens offered by my nearest occasional competitor. With people coming back for more.

Some weedy mix, scabbed at the base, narrow at the waist job, for sure. One dollar a cm. Now with 20% more Oxalis at no extra cost. Little like when you see people selling caapi plants in dirty old pots off their mouldy back deck. Thanks, no thanks, I may just buy from someone "clean" at half the price.

A pot of fairly ordinary stuff, say Liriope, costs 12 - 20 bucks these days - water, time, open space all are less available than in the not too distant past. The 90s are over. Bugger.

Personally I pay for quality.And I charge accordingly. A nice cutting, from any plant, is worth it's weight in gold. Not literally. But certainly a 60cm pach is worth more than 60 dollars.Especially one kelped up on a monthly basis for the last two years, or the one you just know settled into its small pot so well that it will explode to triple the size in a season in a decent pot. But a good 60cm Tricho, at 60 dollars. That's two hours wages, before tax, for most production hort types. What, less than two hours spent (and product cost) to grow that? Nonsense. Time to move on.

The market has been warped thanks to ebay, and druggies selling prop-stock overcheap to meet their monthly rent/phone/internet bill. I tag mine with the highest price, offer the highest quality (when I have a surplus) and they just run out the door.

I do not consider 50 squids for a good foot of healthy, glowing Trich to be out of the ordinary. Anyone can grow a cm of Pach. Growing a 200mm pot full of healthy white roots is another matter entirely.

druggies selling prop-stock overcheap to meet their monthly rent/phone/internet bill.

A litte over the top isnt it?

Lets not forget someone have a different set of ethics and sell these plants cheaply not to pay bills but cos they want others to share in the benefits these plants can provide.

Kelped monthly doesnt = pristine in every case. Sure you may see more worth in your cacti but also it could be said that are putting too much work into them.

Implying that your plants are somehow better cos you give them excess ferts that they dont need is ridiculous.

It must be really good because it cost more :rolleyes:

$1 per cm for anything considered good enuff and 50c per cm for pach/graft stock etc. $1 per mm for lophs.

Rooted demands a lil more.

and with the lophs that price seems to be for the younger/smaller ones only, under 5cm etc, i guess most ppl would understand this. Some old as hell lophs can look very small.

so whats the going price for a 26 cm loph? :)

so whats the going price for a 26 cm loph? :)

I'll give you 5 monopoly dollars, and a half eaten Redskin for it, that's my final offer...stop.gif

Hey, if someone is happy to be getting less on the retail market than they can with no extra effort, that's ok by me. If they do it deliberately, to make the world a shinier place thats very honorable. But do not confuse your motivations with anyone elses pricing.

Kelp mix is merely an example, Ginja. Fact is a seedgrown pach is more labour intensive (and in some aspects, potentially much more beneficial ;) ) than merely cutting and pasting cuts into mix. I should have expanded to mention that I refer to offering seedgrown stock grown with a strictly organic regimen rather than mystery tradestock subjected to who knows what. Some people care a great deal about what they will never get around to ingesting, they do not want to deal with perplexing fluctuations in health or appearance and will pay for the privelidge.

As for over investing in effort, you would be amazed at how little effort any individual plant requires provided you are giving it the conditions it needs. If you mean to say that only being comfortable seeing (and selling) healthy stock in prime condition is in some way a sign of a character deficiency, well I must be one seriously deficient character. I sleep ok. And they keep selling ;) A packet of sage seeds costs 3 bucks. A sage plant in 200mm pot, a few months old, sells for 10 bucks. Hm. Should the seller of that sage be charging 3 bucks? Or whatever the individual price of one seed would be? Some may be happy to. Others are not. The question was about "Standard cost per cm" so I replied with what I have seen the market offer.

Try it, hit your favourite auction site and double your price. Explain that you actually give a crap about quality, and are not pumping your product with toxins, and watch people snap it up.

Some people sell plants. They do not sell lifestyle. That's up to the customer, who knows what they want and are more than happy to pay up provided they get what they require.

I am all for making plants available on altruistic grounds. In which case, I do not charge at all. Diggers sent me a 500g bag of pea seed today that I cannot for the life of me remember ordering, most of those will be going to local community groups. But the fact that I have had buyers coming back and drooling for more, packed to the gills with nasty comments relating to the general health and vigour of more well known sellers speaks for itself.

You can pick up some lovely cacti at a dollar a cm. Or less. Hey, if you want to play randoms, you can cut it yourself for nix. However, time poor and outcome oriented people demand a product that is reliable, is not going to require babying or hardening off after purchase and is extremely unlikely to introduce weed seeds, pathogens or feeble genes into their homes.

As Passive Demons points out albeit in relation to lophs, size does not equal time.Size does not always equal effort, or cost, and backyard chop-shops selling cuttings by the CM are not really an indicator of what people are actually willing to pay for quality ornamental specimens. Althogh on the subject of what PD points out, costing more does not guarantee quality. Some things simply are better, and cost more. Or at least have more paid for them. Guess what, that's what they're worth to someone. Certainly to the seller. Log booked and safety certed low klms used car, versus dodgy roadside sale with dings knocks and a whine in the dif, for example. You can buy a Commodore for 500 bucks...

Things are worth what people will pay. For a decent plant, well rooted, 45cm tall and a good girth a hundred bucks is not out of the question by any means. 45 bucks plus postage for some log with scabs and scale, impacted spines and a dubious past, stalled out growth and no roots sounds fair enough.

The price of gold is determined by what people are willing to pay for it. Any other commodity is the same. Unless you are running a charity, versus trying to make money in an open market, in which case you may well undercut yourself just to make that sale ;)

Honestly, a dollar a cm is a meangingless abstraction. what is water worth per ml? All anyone can do is post the last price they saw.

I refer also to market and personal sales rather than online, although ebay has happily verified my findings on many an occasion in the past as well. In any case part of that price goes towards a reliable level of discretion and not leaving a mention of it plastered across the intertubes forever, or showing up on your credit card.

Edited by Whispering Leaves

Its not so much that you are charging what you see fit, its the holier then thou attitude that goes along with it. I think I know who you are a reincarnation of and it seems this aspect has remained. Implying that people who sell cuts cheap are "druggies " or that cheap cuts are "mystery tradestock subjected to who knows what" displays this holier then thou approach and this combined with your impressive use of the english language im sure adds to why you can sell, what I would consider, overpriced plants.

Im not at all implying that selling plants in pristine condition is a sign of character dificiency. Dont know where u got that from, projecting maybe?

Nor do I think that seeling plants cheap or giving them away makes you or the plant better then others. It was merely my thoughts on the difference values people place on various things.

Charging alot for something just because someone will pay for it does not make it automatically ok in my books. In alot of cases its the lack of consumer knowledge that allows people to charge so much. People will do all sorts of crazy shit when they feel they have not much choice.

Not sure what you are on about Ginja, I was referred here by a friend who has bought a lot of stuff from the store? I wasn't aware being able to read and write english was down to any one person? Fill me in.

Not sure how you arrive at the assumption of a holier than thou attitude either ?

Projection, maybe? ;)

If you charge it, and they pay, that's what it's worth. To some. others, will pay less. Some will pay much much more. I thought I'd help out with my understanind of the market. If the "druggie" comment upsets you, I apologise. Overall I feel it holds some water though.

If anyone was really interested purely in the prolification of as species, they would be giving it away? Or charging purely to cover cost of production which I could get away with charging 10 cents a cm, even with my "over invested-in" stock.

Sorry if someone reporting what they see decent Trichs going for makes you grumpy, or leap to conclusions. Not much in the spirit of the plant you claim to be on the side of, hm?

Actually Ginja seeing as you seem to have taken this relatively commercial question so very personally, I will deal with your post on a point by point basis. Sorry for using basis in a sentence.

Its not so much that you are charging what you see fit, its the holier then thou attitude that goes along with it.

So you regularly gob off at Myers for charging twice as much for more or less the same pair of dacks as Tar-jay? Nice of you to deduce my entire approach to business ethics based on one post. Very open minded of you. I can see the cacti have done you good there buddy.

I think I know who you are a reincarnation of and it seems this aspect has remained.

Sorry Mr. Crazy Man, what are you on about here? I was pretty sure I was a strawberry grower until I ended up a small town physical therapist who's missus and some medical issues (patients, also) got him into growing medicinal plants.Purely to try and obtain some decent healing materials in contrast to the "reasonably priced" CRAP being sold by most Australian vendors.

But I might be wrong, especially seeing as you seem to have ALL the answers, hm? On the other hand, this sentence actually makes my skin crawl and want to not post here any more. What the hell? The more times I read this, the less sane you seem and crazier it all seems. Thanks.

Implying that people who sell cuts cheap are "druggies "

not at all. Nice of you to rewrite my sentence for me though! Projection, much? Oh, sorry. That only works on a first in, best dressed basis, yes?

I said that the market particularly online has been warped by druggie-oriented sellers with names like drugdude, trip seller and plant shaman who, as anyone can see, price most things by the price of a tinnie. The people I sell to read all these listings, hold on to their cash and come to me if they are local. What is wrong with that? Do you oppose a free market? Do you believe you are someone special who can dictate who or who not can or can not charge what, for what? Get a grip. I cannot believe such a crass issue as money could be taken so personally by you?

or that cheap cuts are "mystery tradestock subjected to who knows what" displays this holier then thou approach

cut stock can never be verified organic. Sorry. if you think it can, you are wrong. Read up. It it not holier than anything, it is logic. If I cut you arm off, and grow another Ginja from it, will it be free of all the things you have been dosed with? I don't think so.

and this combined with your impressive use of the english language im sure adds to why you can sell, what I would consider, overpriced plants.

No, I suspect you are sounding upset because you have just realised you could have run to 2 bucks per cm all this time. Sounds like you know your stuff. If the price of everything else has doubled in 10 years, why not those?

Im not at all implying that selling plants in pristine condition is a sign of character dificiency. Dont know where u got that from, projecting maybe?

Here you verge into the realm of typical interweb psychobabble. Sorry, but I can talk to my mother if I want that kind of nonsense. What is next, "transferral"? "groupthink" or "sheeple"? give it a rest.

Nor do I think that selling plants cheap or giving them away makes you or the plant better then others. It was merely my thoughts on the difference values people place on various things.

Oh ok... so does or does this not essentially make the rest of your spiteful little post fairly redundant?

Charging alot for something just because someone will pay for it does not make it automatically ok in my books.

It's a nice thing that you are not paying my family's bills then, isn't it? And sad for you that you are not supreme ruler of all mankinds ethics. get over yourself.

In alot of cases its the lack of consumer knowledge that allows people to charge so much.

Or people wanting quality, healthy plants that are not bearing who knows levels of unwanted toxic additives, substandard mixes, stalled growth, latent viral issues and the like.

People will do all sorts of crazy shit when they feel they have not much choice.

So offer better, at half the price, and everyone will be happy :)

You seem to be a very angry person? I hope you can work it out!

edit: I would suggest you ponder some more over the potential value and reliablity of seed grown, mature plants versus vegetatively prop'd mass-dissemated forms. And that it takes three times as much time to grow a 12 inch Pach from seed, as it does from a 6 inch cut. Also, that the cut is going to be same same as most other cuts, versus the genetic variablity and potential medicinal worth of novel seed grown hybrids. Finally, that you consider people will always be willing to pay more for discretion, than a detailed listing of their interests. What is your privacy worth?

if you were brought here from someone who buy's alot of SAB store stuff, you'd notice how incredibly well looked after SAB's cacti are... You'll also notice how incredibly cheap they are!

Edit: Its not all about materialistic value. Most will do it for the love of it, not for profits. As long as they have a roof over their head and food on the table, what else is there to worry about? I personally would feel guilty charging > 1$ per cm, i sleep with a better conscience knowing i haven't been ripping people off for my own gain.

Edited by C_T

Absolutely, C_T! I have seen some great stock from SAB and other aussie vendors.

I suspect my alpine situation which leads to superb bloom (as in the wax coat, not flowers) and the fact that people can actually LOOK at a plant before paying outright for it, count for something. Some people benefit muchly from aesthetics (even as other people crack the shits with you for being able to spell it in the first place) and knowing they are facing a much reduced level of risk.

They do not however offer metre tall hybrids, intentionally kept one pot size down purely for the reward of two feet worth of growth upon some simple, token repotting ;) You cannot take your plant back to them a week later and say "hey man, this is looking a bit spongy?". And they won't sling you a free bag of smashed terracotta because they like the look of you, either.

They also require registration to order.Which leaves a trail, like it or not. Both on the SAB side, and the credit card side. To a site which has as a pinned topic "we are under federal surveillance". And no matter how well someone can juggle bubblewrap or space bags, some people simply do not dig impacted spines, grotty spots or a few weeks spent re-habbing what is meant so be a mostly ornamental, potentially educational specimen.

I honestly don't pick up on the complexity... sure , you can pick up cheap shoes on the net... and they will cost you twice as much as if you found them in a physical shop someplace. But without after sales service, no real way of judging quality until you have parted with your hard earned and no human interaction whatsoever.

Horses for courses, I reckon. I have had my stuff go at two and three times the price of that offered by a particularly proflic ebay vendor simply I suspect because I offer more info than a "nikko" scribble of dimensions, next to a grotty looking steak knife on some mouldy looking back deck with some bug eaten plants. If that is "high and mighty", so be it. People should keep their props clean! That stuff is probably fine for most but some people have higher standards, growing environments to maintain, front yards to keep in good order, etc. Some people want a PLANT , and not an unrooted, sappy looking cut. They will pay 2.50 a cm. Over, and over again.

Not for want of other sources. And not for being ignorant, either. If anything, it's for want of ignorance that they come back ;)

I said that the market particularly online has been warped by druggie-oriented sellers with names like drugdude, trip seller and plant shaman who, as anyone can see, price most things by the price of a tinnie.

Nah i price things at the current sugar value, plus i like to deliberatly let the plants spines penetrate other plants, no i lied, i just like typing the word penetrate. I have let some cuts go for ridiculous prices AT AUCTION as have a couple of other ppl here. It is a dirty feeling when ya get that much for clones. Seedlings potted on to upkeep a nice lookin plant does involve alot of effort and yes i agree with you WL, they should demand alot more than they go for at times but when you have a yard full of seedlings and thousands more to be potted on then the waiting around for someone to pay top dollar aint an option. This is one lil detail you seem to forget. Stock must move and lowering price does this alot better than telling ppl that your plants are pristine organic lil numbers(even myers has clearance sales :P). MOST of the time i would rather see my seedlings go here cheap if they wont move there being one simple lil reason. Do you think lil sally in grade three is gon give a fuck or even know what "Psycho0Xsuper pedro" means when she goes to a nursery and gets her dad to buy her a plant, do you think anyone would care??? Selling here means ppl are more than likely to keep track of the plants heritage just like the grower has done since pollinating the flower (unless you buy your seeds which would be very questionable of an upstanding grower, know the source?)

If you wan sell ya plants for 2bux50 a cm then go for it, Id still sell more than you for 1dollar per cm, they will be in better condition than yours, ill have more and there will be a bigger range of clones and hybrids. Call me a druggie, call me an idiot, call me Mrs Nesbit if you like just dont come in ere calln ppl on the pricing of plants and do not come ere calln ppl druggies, it makes some a lil upset :)

Its not complex at all really, the pricing HERE for trichos has been pretty much the same since ive been here and obviously before that. Why try change the minds of ppl who are happy with the current situation, sellers included.

No doubt i have sold a few crapola cuts in my time here but ya get that after a couple thousand feet and when selling in BULK. I guess you are talkin more the one or 2ft that most ppl purchase. One of my inground gardens will be ready for harvest coming spring, if you think you have seen pristine wait till ya see these lil numbers lol.

Lovelovelove

This is all gettin a lil warped here innit....think.gif

I mean I don't see why growers have to have a pristine plant sent to them, and who is complaining of spine damage and the odd scar etc...huh.gif...I guess if you are shopping directly and are standing in front of said plants, then you would prolly pick the best plant you can afford based on size more than looks or perhaps I'd pick one based on breeding more than size.

The thing is, if you are passionate about having a particular cut, and there isn't much being offered around except a few grungy mid sections of said clone, then if you are a half decent grower you can turn that grungy mid section into a plethora of new fat pups and arms by the end of the next growing season anyways, therefore saving yourself some money, cause lets face it people don't like to pay top dollar for anything do they...?

Don't people brag about how cheap it was or "it was FREE"..dance.gif as opposed to "hey man wow I paid a lot of big bucks for this plant"...yap.gif...doesn't roll of the tongue quite so well when we are talking ethno's does it..?

I know personally my own collection has come from a lot of cheap buys, heaps of mids grown out to splendid specimens, a few rare finds out of peoples gardens, tonnes of seed grown, a lot of free plants/through trades and free exchange forums and heaps of donations via generous SABBERS who have taken on more than they can care for. I think I once paid $60 for a large fat 68cm pachanoi arm(tip) via G-BAY and that is still the most I have ever paid for a cactus and I feel kinda silly paying such a large amount for such a common plant, I was however at the beginning of my collection days and was a little stary eyed at the time.

Still even today if I wander into a cactus nursery and see a stunning tricho then see it's price at some inflated nonsense, even though it maybe a very impressive a perfect health plant, I'm always more inclined to ask if there is a seedling of the same plant somewhere and purchase that and grow it out myself...these people that have to have it cause it's perfect and can afford it,jerk.gif.. well I dunno I just don't get that to be honest, it takes the fun out of growing and caring and raising the plants yourself, I guess there's nothing like the feeling of buying an ethno collection outright huh, personally I'd rather a cheap unfurnished gaf and then put my own spin on things out my own creative flare and ideas as opposed to a fully furnished in someone else's taste, expensive pad, but that's just me, I like to be more hands on and find half dead plants and bring them and back to life with some love, then give away the bundles of joy when they become happy and healthy again.

Nothing wrong with selling well cared for plants at top dollar, nothing at all, it is however a little distasteful to suggest others who have lower standards maybe not quite up to scratch in other areas of their life, weather they be supporting a drug habit or not, I think that's the kettle calling the pot black is it not, particularly on a forum like this.

Now where is mutant today I'm looking to give him a piece of my mind....deadhorse.gif