The Corroboree
rogdog

Fitty dollah greenhouse Yo

The clutch packed up in my car, and with all the other things wrong with it, I could get paid $50 to have someone tow it away. Why do that, when it can make an awesome greenhouse? I moved it to where it gets the best sun in winter, before the tyres go flat and happy days. I challenge anyone to find a more sturdy greenhouse for fifty bucks. Well, if you found a stationwagon with a sunroof, you would win, but whatever

post-5097-1259745000_thumb.jpg

obv it's summer now, so the car is not full of plants, but come winter...rogdog has got it going on baby

Edited by rogdog

try the scrap metal yards, or wreckers - they may even pay you for it.

If you need to get it there try 'crash' shifting (get the speed slow enough, then grind) or even a tow down there!

try the scrap metal yards, or wreckers - they may even pay you for it.

If you need to get it there try 'crash' shifting (get the speed slow enough, then grind) or even a tow down there!

wait wut? No no no.I want to keep the car, it's my new greenhouse. Climate control by winding the windows down a little. If the tyres stay up, I can move it to the optimal postion. What i'm saying is, for the $50 a wrecker will give me, I couldn't by a greenhouse quarter of the size at bunnings. Ima gonna recycle my POS into a greenhouse. It's not for everybody, but I happen to have room in my driveway

umm, its not so green and there are not many windows with that model... not like its a convertible or glass top.

It will get very hot in there... You may want to put that green stuff over the inside of the windows?

i reckon it is worth a try,esp in non summer conditions.

i love lateral thinking!

t s t .

Make some more room and take out all the seats. You could take an angle grinder to the roof and make your own sun roof with some clear plastic sheeting.

Plumb it with an internal sprinkler system, some little misters attached on what is left of the roof. If the radio still works you could tune in to classic FM and eep the plants happy. :)

• Like 1

and then get a bus ,lol

Hilarious rogdog!

I keep meaning to catchup with you mate life has been hectic this past year!

Craziest year of my life by far!!!

It's working out well though but wow; been quite a rollercoaster

I have made many new friends along the way even though I lost a few old ones; the balance has worked itself out

I just wish I had a spare car and driveway with space myself now hahah def running out of space for plants at home

A bus would be ideal! Wow what a grow room lol

I guess it all depends on what you want to grow... I'd personally take the advice of fenris and remove the seats, take to the roof with an anglegrinder, let some uv's shine through and install an irrigation system and make good use of the radio if it still works! Classic FM is a great choice ;-)

you should wrap the car up in that green shadecloth stuff and place a few buckets of water in the car for humidity

Edited by santiago

I'm not to sure about the hacking up the roof plan, I am hoping that with the winter sun lower in the sky, it will gett enough light to let plants grow. Pulling out the seats should be no problem, and I have some old wardrobe doors I can stack on milk crates to make some shelves. Plenty of time to think it through before it gets cold

shrubs like iboga would love it i think. and Psychotria viridis.

Not too tall.

I'm not to sure about the hacking up the roof plan, I am hoping that with the winter sun lower in the sky, it will gett enough light to let plants grow. Pulling out the seats should be no problem, and I have some old wardrobe doors I can stack on milk crates to make some shelves. Plenty of time to think it through before it gets cold

Don't pull all the seats out, if you rip slits in them you can put pots in the slits and the seat foam will keep them warm!

Don't pull all the seats out, if you rip slits in them you can put pots in the slits and the seat foam will keep them warm!

another nice bit of lateral thinking!

t s t .

what sort of mean concentrations do plants excel with carbon dioxide. Everybody knows plants turn CO2 into oxygen so whats the go if in this car greenhouse a tube from the exhaust is run into the vehicle (greenhouse).

lets just theoretically say the car (if running) is not of course permanantly running but ran for say 10 minute intervals here and there, increasing the levels of CO2 within the greenhouse area.

would this effect growth at all?

Interesting thought santiago. Time to do some reading, I'm not sure if carbon-monoxide or other exhaust muck would tip the scales towards a negative outcome or not. Who knows, it's got 3/4 a tank of fuel, and an anti-syphon devise, so I cant even take the petrol out for the lawnmower.

Edited by rogdog

Try spotting mullies from the sky when they are inside a car...smirk.gif

the car certainly would get too hot in hot conditions tho, for example the TV temp max today was 34 centigrade. the external temp reader on the vehicle today read 41 centigrade so either its wrong or thats the 'sitting' temp from somewhere semi inside the vehicle.

we all know not to leave kids or dogs inside a hot car due to extremes of temperature within minutes which will exceed 50 centigrade within minutes, of course subject to conditions. so it's a no brainer that plants will die too given same conditions.

so many variables but heat would be a constant worrying factor, the shape of car, whether its placed in a full sun or shady area.

some type of DIY expert could really go to town, drill actual holes in the metal body itself, wrap it in shadecloth, experimentally test via weeklong analysis on different semi mature fast growing established legal to grow plants with a control clone to compare the effects of increased carbon dioxide via 'aka' the tube from running vehicle exhaust at certain intervals.

Inital post rogdog says

I challenge anyone to find a more sturdy greenhouse for fifty bucks.

great challenge and topic

Or Rogdog could have a full on party at his gaff, have everyone around to stick their penis's in the exhaust one at a time while EG takes pictures for his fetish book he is writing...

and just plant the plants in the ground or in pots.

tongue.gif

Yep nice one - Right colour too , White cars dont heat up as much as black ones

Once you get your temp and ventilation sorted, it will be a great environment. The car probably leaks like a sock anyway, so your drainage is sorted.

What you could probably do over the next few days / week or two is look at getting a paint to WHITE OUT those windows ( special type of paint you mix up , or at least the front one. Try this or you can litteraly just drape shade cloth over the whole thing on really hot days

This is good as you can wind up windows if a hot breeze comes from a particular direction , but leave other ones open,

just like a professionally built green house.

If this works well you could up grade too a BMW 7 series or a nice big Jaguar or the like.

If this works well you could up grade too a BMW 7 series or a nice big Jaguar or the like.

Thankyou Mr G and Chiral for understanding the seriousness of this business.

What everybody else does to thier ghetto greenhouses is up to them, but I am very lazy, and am not going to cut the roof, or whitewash the windows. That takes effort and some money, this is all about no effort; not even calling a wrecker to come and tow my car away.

Looks like I didn't make it clear that this is for cold weather only, my plants are loving summer, and growing like champions. When they slow down mid to late autumn, then they can make the move to thier winter greenhouse.