The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

premix agar soultion?

anyone know where i can buy some enriched pre-mix agar soultion in australia?

stuff that i can just heat and pour, or a dry solution i can just add water to and use?

the lack of scales makes making up agar tricky!

sweeeeet.

just what ive been looking for!

great link! thanks!

sweeeeet.

just what ive been looking for!

great link! thanks!

Simple kitchen scales should be all you need?? I wouldn't bother buying premixed agar... what agar mix are you after?? Simple Malt Extract Agar is so easy... definitely way cheaper than ordering it.

Cool site though... if a little exxy.

Edited by mesq

there are a lot of pages in that pdf, to save anyone interested time the agar items start towards the bottom of page 26

yeah cheers. i just dont want the fuk around of making agar when u have the pre-mix.

anyways that fraking legend otherwise known as watertrade has helped me out god bless him!

yeah cheers. i just dont want the fuk around of making agar when u have the pre-mix.

anyways that fraking legend otherwise known as watertrade has helped me out god bless him!

yeh yeh man cool.

I just don't get how it can be difficult to mix agar with with malt extract... Its harder to cook mi goreng.

well ive got the malt extract (the sticky stuff like mollases) and i used to measure some out on my didgie scales which i dont have anymore. i used to use 5 gm malt to 5 gm agar. i dont want the shitfight of measuring the sticky stuff out using other methods, i just get it everywhere.

anyhoo im set now.

well ive got the malt extract (the sticky stuff like mollases) and i used to measure some out on my didgie scales which i dont have anymore. i used to use 5 gm malt to 5 gm agar. i dont want the shitfight of measuring the sticky stuff out using other methods, i just get it everywhere.

anyhoo im set now.

Cool man. I get ya. What about using light malt extract in a powdered form?? But yeah come to think of it even the powder gets pretty sticky eventually...ne ways good luck :) :) Science is fun

Edited by mesq

Making your own agar is incredibly simple, especially if you're just making malt extract agar (MEA). You can do it through volume instead of weight, if you know how much a tablespoon of light malt powder and agar powder each weigh.

Canning jars are a rip here. Normal jars work fine.

Canning jars are a rip here. Normal jars work fine.

Salvo's mate :wink: they'll practically give'm away!

Had over 90% success full colonisation with 1 pint straight edge ones,keep 'em in the fridge and you got yourself spawn on hand.

Even wrapped in foil and fruited from them a few times.

So many ways it's all funguys B)

Edited by mescalito

I prefer using 2L jars with PP lids. Easier to handle, will way outlast metal lids and gives plenty of spawn. :)