The Corroboree
Μορφέας

The Mangosteen!

Have you eaten a mangosteen?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just ate a mangosteen for the first time ever, it was so sweeeeeeet so delicious so divine that im going to go and buy more of them!!!

Have you ever ate a mangosteen?

Please share your love and experience with this heavenly fruit

post-2017-1252325921_thumb.jpg

I just ate a mangosteen for the first time ever, it was so sweeeeeeet so delicious so divine that im going to go and buy more of them!!!

Have you ever ate a mangosteen?

Please share your love and experience with this heavenly fruit

Very nice but not worth the price in my opinion.

amazing fruit. the price reflects the short shelf life and the fact it is extremely seasonal - ie a pain in the ass for any shop to stock. great if you got friends with a tree in their garden though :)

One of my favorite fruits!

Try the Cherimoya too!

I don't usually get excited about fruit... but the Mangosteen! Fuck me. Fruit of the Gods.

Y'all should read "Fruit Hunters".

So did you get it at a fruit and veg shop, or is this something that woolies and coles stock when its in season?

I'd never even heard of it, but you've got me intrigued!

So did you get it at a fruit and veg shop, or is this something that woolies and coles stock when its in season?

well! My usual fruit and veg haunt has just been sold and is under renovation and I was horrified that coles was the only option left, I went in there, purchased my quarter watermelon, half dewmelon and saw these tiny little 1.50 expensive purple things which I threw in for good measure since I had never seen them before. What a surprise it was! Coles sells them! Expensive but so yummy. I think its off to thailand to try some fresh fruit off the branch!

i had some mangosteen juice today. good stuff :lol:

i've seen mangosteens in the big supermarkets fairly regularly. obviously when the seasons right

why are mine heaps different to all of the photos? the calyx bit is brown not green, the husk is just brown and wooden, the fruit is smaller than the cavity it's nestled in and instead of white, it is caramel brown about 50% covered in slippery white fluff.

reminded me of Inga edulus. very soft wet texture with a subtle caramel taste, way too expensive to buy though.

Sounds like yours are OOOOOLD, ThunderIdeal.

They are SOOOoooo nice.

Mind you, I've opened a far share of half-rotten ones in my time - not sure if they've got a short shelf life or maybe I've just had some bad luck.

yummy, but i never managed to germinate the seed. i think most of them get frozen in transport and that kills the seed.

anyone ever manged to germ a seed?

anyway mangosteen mostly reject the graft so seed probagation is the only way.

trees will bear fruits after 15 years or so.

i managed to try a fresh one today after noticing a tiny tray of them at woolies.

mmmm, very sweet. for such an insignificant fruit i was able to draw the experience right out.

It is an excellent fruit. Known as the "Queen of Fruits". The King being durian. Now that is an incredible fruit! Mmmmmm...

is it true that the smell of an opened durian is difficult to bare, but the taste is incredible?

A lady from the Phillipines has a stall at our local markets offering mangosteen in season for one dollar each.

Nice big ones. Kind of purple on the outside?

Taste reminds me of a nice ripe custard apple but not grainy and less starchy.

is it true that the smell of an opened durian is difficult to bare, but the taste is incredible?

oh shit yeah, about the smell. I smelt some while in Bali. Didn't work up the courage to eat one tho. The locals practically worship these fruit thus "King of Fruit"

arrrgh just tonight i picked one up in the supermarket. it only just fit out of it's shelf and i noticed later my finger bleeding.

some other time i will try these spiky bastards. i didn't have room in my bag.