The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

santiago

Why wouldnt you eat a dog

If I were hungry enough I think I would try and eat whatever would sustain me. Even human flesh if it meant the difference between life and death - not guaranteed I could actually stomach it at the time but I would definitely try, and not sure I could do it from someone I know/like.

So, once again, I have no problem with different cultures having different species as food animals, but I do have a problem with unneccessary cruelty [and that includes the cruelty other countries impose on their pigs, cattle, chickens, etc]

This is absolutely how I feel about the whole subject.

this guy abviously had no problem doing it:

Man barbeques pet dog, no charges laid

A New Zealand man who cooked his pet dog in a backyard pit cannot be prosecuted, because it was killed humanely.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says inspectors arrived at the South Auckland home to find the pitbull terrier-cross skinned, gutted, and partially charred.

The puzzled owner, Paea Taufa, says dog is a delicacy in Tonga and he had knocked it unconscious with a blow to the head before slitting its throat.

The SPCA says cultural differences aside, it is unacceptable.

But killing a dog is not illegal in New Zealand if the animal is slaughtered swiftly and painlessly.

- AAP

My mother would hate me.

Her dogs. 4 small dogs and would take boiling.\ [very old dogs]

Why wouldnt you eat a dog..?

I would if had to , but the fact it's not necessary. There are plenty of other foods all around us that sustain a healthy human diet without having to eat dog. I doubt the meat offers up anything new in the way of nutrients or vitamins, that we can't simply get from all ready available produce.

It's human nature to be inquisitive about what we can an can't eat, what this or that might taste like, problems arise when some choose to exploit a particular abundant animal for it's meat simply as a means to earn money to survive, assuming that a demand and supply criteria is established.

This is the sad part about animal slaughter and any trade in animal meat, demand for a product will drive questionable entrepreneurs to below sub standard farming and treatment of the animal, in order to fill the need as it's demand like anything may dwindle at sometime.

because... dogs are scavengers, they eat rotten meat and have heaps of parasites. i dont like the idea of eating carnivorous animals but at least cats are eat fresh meat. that said i dont mind fermenting meat to eat myself. i guess the biggest reason then is thet theyre scavengers. i think thats why ppl eat them because they are in abundance in a human environment, because they live off human scraps and filth.

I'd totally eat a cat and a dog, it's no different than a cow or chicken or another animal.

I WOULD eat ANYTHING which is edible except for a human.

Unless I was starving, then I'd eat human, but I wouldn't want to kill the person, I'd only eat them if they were already dead.

The dog meat was prepared into a meal for him twice and he even remarked that it looked and smelt delicious however on both occasions declined due to 'moral' reasons.

How freaking lame...

Yeah that show was a bit weak.

He goes over there to do this show about eating dog, makes a big hoo-har about it and about how he is going to try it but then declines at the end, talk about an anti climax and kind of made the premise of the show redundant.

"A frog is a frog, but a dog is a man's best friend."

I've actually tried human before, a bit of bitten flesh - not reluctantly on behalf of the victim...also of course, my own flesh, semen and blood, and others colostrum, vaginal discharge and milk.

All in all I'd say the human is pretty tasty, although more prone to toxins - through culture. For instance, I wouldn't like to eat a roast of pig that smoked 20 cigs a day and drank alcohol and fed on tortillas with 11 different kinds of artificial preservatives/oil antioxidants/emulsifiers/antifungals. Go El Paso!

Dog is about all I can think of that I'd balk at, and I've eaten all sorts of crazy shit.

I love dogs (have spent a decent portion of my life in remote locations with a dog as sole companion) and find the thought of eating one quite repelling. And the only animal that i can think of that i feel that way about. Bit unfair to the other critters, but there you go.

I'd definitely have a taste if offered, and could eat a meal if it tasted OK, but wouldn't have the meal on principle.

Wouldn't kill one for food unless *absolutely* necessary (ie you wouldn't want to be shipwrecked and starving with me and my dog 'cause I'd go him halvies in you - well probably 60/40) .

ed

Im not sure how they kill cows and pigs, dont they just hang upside down on a chain with all their buddies behind them to have throats sliced, bleed to death in panic and then clinically cut up into little pieces.

In australia cows are stunned with a boltgun(puts a hole through skull into brain) then if they are to be halal a priest will slit their throat while the animal is facing a certain direction

this distinction some of you have made puzzles me. dogs are pack animals and domestic dogs have smaller brains, lowered adrenalin etc so they aren't too independent or skittish... they make excellent human companions and ancient man probably found them to be practically NECESSARY for survival and prosperity.

is that more or less why there's a distinction? because domestic dogs and humans have an ancient symbiosis?

Marh Heng is Thai for dried strips of dog meat

Probably the worst thing I have eaten is sloppy dog food

Take my word for it ... It tastes a lot worse than it smells

The flavor is like the smell of roadkill mixed with white ox

tobacco

while I'm on this subject of disgusting things that I have put

in my mouth ... a little anecdote of warning to herbal explorers

I used to be in the habit of sampling herbal material by putting

a small portion in my mouth, chewing and spitting the stuff out.

Surely a thumbnail of leaf couldn't do any harm... Wrong

A most unlikely candidate Taro leaf

A small nibble and I felt what can only be described as

Extreme pain in my mouth and throat

I was bent over screaming at the ground with my mouth open

for about half an hour

my body's reaction to it was to stream saliva/mucous like

a tap out of my mouth for about an hour

ahahaha try arum lily roots! mate i thought i was dying , burning and pins and needles on tongue and lips , then numbness and shortness of breath ,plus i was in the middle of nowhere and thought my time was up...this is what i get for thinking i am the bush tucker man, lol ,research ,research , research :rolleyes:post-4908-126128952669_thumb.jpg

dawg.jpg

dawg.jpg

:blink:

Yikes dude... that's pretty intense.. I knew these were bad

wiki:

The Zantedeschia species (arum lily) are poisonous due to the presence of calcium oxalate. "All parts of the plant are toxic, and produce irritation and swelling of the mouth and throat, acute vomiting and diarrhea."

probably the mean reason for not eating dog is cos I've seen what they eat.

probably the mean reason for not eating dog is cos I've seen what they eat.

yeah, T-U-R-D

yeh..who eats bacon and eggs for brekkie, want me to break that down for you puke.gif

Hmmm the stressed meat idea reminds me of how much a cat plays with it's prey before consuming it.

btw, i'd eat dog

there has been a little fued going on over here in perth regarding the sale of horse meat for human consumption.

the famous long time butcher and his store operate in inglewood, i have read about him previously in newspapers and so.........people protest at the front of his store about the poor horsies.

anyway i couldnt resist, today i drove past it and stopped. there is heaps of stuff there...........ostrich eggs for example, so i dont understand why this butcher doesnt have people protesting about the unborn ostrich baby's as well. whats the difference?

the good horse meat is $40 per kg, so i bought a little one and cooked it for lunch...........tastes like beef, very lean too...............so that must beg the question, am i a savage? would i really eat a dog? after eating a chunk of meat that looked like beef but was horse i can easily say i have no problems eating a dog, camel, snake, cat...........whatever, however i think eating a human being is a little different..............bit like that thread fertilising with human crap, ill fertilise with anything even my own urine, ill probably eat anything too. however human shit and meat is where i draw the line.

survival type scenario is a different story, on a stranded boat eg no food. thats a totally different ball game.

i would eat dog meat if i had to.. i wouldnt go out of my way to try it tho. its true that its just another animal and why couldnt one eat it.

Food is food, meat is meat. As the apex of the food chain, human's should eat be able to eat anything as evidenced by the arrangement of our teeth and our forward looking eyes. We are omnivorious which means we can and should eat plants and animals. Animals are of particular value as they contain a greater abundance of essential nutrients and protein and fat has a higher caloric content.

If presented with a piece of meat, it'll go into my gullet. I've tried all kinds including snake, dog, etc. Haven't yet tried horse or cat but I wouldn't mind trying those either.

I also think it's hypocritical that certain groups of people will try to impress their morality onto other groups. Who is to say that our view on dogs is right or wrong and Muslims view on pork is right or wrong? Keep your morality to yourself and let me do what I want when I want as long as it does not harm a fellow human.