The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

mid 1970's qld heads,all gone now?

in mid 70's oz every year there would be a good supply of what were called qld heads.

this was a sativa strain and was the equal of anything that came from os!

prob the strongest available many years,the equal in strength to thai sticks.

not seen since 1980 approx,i hope it still exists somewhere.......?

t s t .

Geez mate, your showin your age there ! :rolleyes:

Ah i wish my grandad would get baked with me, that would be so fun! :lol:

Fuck yeah....I've been saving these seeds for so f'n'long...oh, 70's you say...shame, mine are from the 60's, supose I'll just throw em out then

i started young,was 18months old when i would disappear to be found chewing cigarette butts at the local town hall,where there was a free stash all over the ground!lol

t s t .

wasnt the infamous Mullumbimby madness? that stuff sounded nice :bong:

i started young,was 18months old when i would disappear to be found chewing cigarette butts at the local town hall,where there was a free stash all over the ground!lol

t s t .

Hahaha very nice, perfecting your sublingual technique :P

wasnt the infamous Mullumbimby madness? that stuff sounded nice :bong:

Yes, was most likely this ^^ aka Old Mother Sativa:

20060929_144216_6lbs_OMS.jpg

Talk to Kog...

I met him the other day at coles. i didn't realise he lived locally (even after reading his book and watching his doco ;) )

Here's his website. www.greengrasspub.com.au His email and phone number is on the site too.

good luck

Edited by Smiling Cloud

Apparently the Mullumbimby Madness strain was crossed with Legend, (NL#5 x Skunk#1 x Haze), and became the White Widow.

Arjan then allegedly stole a clone from a White Widow plant on display at an expo booth explaining how Green House came to have their White Widow strain.

White widow is a Brazilian X Indian (Kerala) as far as i am aware of. It (WW) is no where near as stativa dominated as typical thai/SE asian varieties which made up the almost all of the late 60's-70's breeding stock up that way. I would bet that MM was an original highland Thai/Loatian variety originally, it could have well started from an imported thai stick itself. I have spent many years asking breeders if they know of any MM still left, but alas they dont think so..... maybe in a hidden valley up there there still may be rouge sproutings, but i think it lost out to the dutch genetics. This is why WE MUST preserve landrace varieties!!

Bd

Didnt most of the early Au sativa come from the wild stands around Hunter valley region???

Edited by PD.

It may well have, but cannabis wasnt/isnt a native plant, it must have come from somewhere. Most indications point to early imports from Indian hemp/drug pheno's or SE Asian drug/firbe/feed pheno's. I think cannabis seed was imported from SE A or India before it grew wildly in the Hunter. I think any non-hollow (fiberous stemed) hemp/sativa would have been far more popular as inital hemp pheno's than the hollow (indica) drug cultivars which may have shown up in the early 80's late late 70's.

Ok, a quick search on the Hunter valley and ive found an few but different reasons why the Hunter had soo much weed.

"The cause of the infestation has never been positively identified. One theory suggests that the cause was the sluicing of waste products from chicken farms in the area which were using imported chicken feed containing a small proportion of cannabis seed which was then washed into the Hunter River and its tributaries. Another theory suggests that some seed was deliberately planted by United States military

Military of the United States

The United States Armed Forces are the overall unified armed forces of the United States. The United States military was first formed by the second Second Continental Congress to defend the new nation against the British Empire in the American Revolutionary War....

personnel who were stationed at the Singleton Australian Army

- http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Hu...bis_infestation

Or as i thought, English hemp/drug phenos which would have def been Indian origin considering their rule at the time.

"In 1892, the Department of Agriculture distributed Cannabis sativa seeds to hundreds of farmers in New South Wales as an experiment in the cultivation of hemp due to the high prices of binding-twine at the time.[3] From 1840 to the early 1900s, Australians used cannabis as a medicinal herb and Cigares de Joy (cannabis cigarettes) were sold over the counter.[4]"

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Valley...bis_infestation

The Hunter Vally still uses this anomoly as a tourist card!:

"One story worth mentioning is part history, part tourist information, and partly just plain bizarre. In the early 1950s the wine and dairy lands of Hunter Valley suffered from a noxious weed invading their lands and causing problems. The weed was cannabis, or marijuana. It was growing wild as a pesky intruder, and causing problems for other plants and for livestock, and the farmers wanted it gone. But as a noxious weed it was fairly tenacious, and it took more than nine years of concerted government efforts to finally eradicate it. Meanwhile, devoted tokers were trekking in every spring to illicitly collect buds from roadsides and private fields, and would then transport them to Sydney. Hunter Valley really did have a weed problem! That was a long time ago, but with the laid back vibe and loads of surfers on the coast, something of a Bohemian atmosphere is still alive and well."

http://www.bookitnow.com.au/info/nsw/hunter-valley-nsw/

And Goms old thread too - http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=11448

Hope that helps somewhat, so MM may have well come from the Hunter, but i think there are only a few oldies that may know, and they are out of reach nowdays.

Edited by BlackDragon
  • Like 1

i was told there was a lot of wild cannabis in northern qld in the 70's too......spoke to someone who had tried it but had little knowledge of the subject.

t s t .

Didnt most of the early Au sativa come from the wild stands around Hunter valley region???

Thankyou Sir Joseph Banks LMAO

The actual article I was talking about was in High Times a long time ago, this is all I could find now.

The Green House

The Green House had fine entries, as one would expect from such a prestigious shop. They had a pair of wonderful plants in their Hemp Expo booth, White Rhino and White Widow. The Widow looks fantastic and has incredible crystal structure, but not much smell or flavour.

The White Rhino was definitely a contender. It's a high yielder, with a very dominant main cola shaped like a tusk, and just as thick. The bud was potent as well, and mixed with the Green House hash entry, Baba's Holy Balls, it went to work on my vision. I'm sure it would be great for glaucoma sufferers.

The Green House told me they supply this bud to Dutch chemotherapy patients. Their house breeder also told me that he used an Australian strain (Mulanimbee Madness) to develop the White Family. He claims the Madness is the most potent pot he's seen on this planet.

One night this same fellow pulled out a little blondish finger of White Rhino crystals; we smoked it in a foot long pipe an onlooker pulled out of his vest. Delicious, thanks brother. Their hash entry, Baba's Holy Balls, was excellent. When at the Green House you must try them, although I'm certain you couldn't go wrong with anything on their menu.

Link here

Thats from Cannabis Canada(which may lend more credit), Not Hype Times

"Develope" is a loose word, i would take it as maybe they used madness to breed into the WW to form the family, although Rhino show even stronger Indica dominance. "Used in its Breeding " would be a better term or "in its makeup" would secure it. But honestly, if youve ever seen or dreamt of growing WW its far from any pure sativa ive ever seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_widow_(cannabis)

Any other seed bank will list it as Brazilian X Indian too. Even Greenhouse state the same (http://greenhouseseeds.nl/shop/index.php?t...p;product_id=21)

Ha ha, "Mulla-nimbee" - classic. :D

Trust me, if it did contain Madness then it would be the only source of MM genes in modern breeding. No doubt it would be very popular, especially for those with other MM genes trying to back-cross to find a similar pheno to the original. Not to say that MM isnt locked away in a secret parent room somewhere.

Sorry "Mulla-nimbee" crackes me up :)

Tst, I would assume most "older" NNSW/QLD varities would be Indian or Asian in their heritage. Indian in particular "Kerala" origin herb is perhaps the finest smoking ganja, they have been breeding in Kerala for supreme "smoking ganja" for what could be hundreds of years if not many more. Whereas most indicas were "hash only" cultivars or not even used previously to the "hippy tourism boom" in those areas of middle east. Indica's wont flower well too far north either, as bud mold will set in easily with the density of the flowers, Sativa's are the only prime candidates really. Maybe Napalese, Colombian and South American are slight possibilites that cant be overlooked either, but later in the timeline. If we only knew of some of the first importers from back then.....

Edited by BlackDragon

nothing left over from the chinese or afghans?

there was talk in the mid 70's that bird seed contained viable cannabis seed.....much seed is contaminated with the odd stranger.....seed can stick to wool etc and come on an animal.

qld heads-smallish flowers,light colour,small sized parts......something called 'super skunk' from 15 or so years ago was among the most similar.very trippy high at tiny doses.

t s t .

Good reply BlackDragon, sounds like you and me could have a really great discussion about Cannabis. I laughed about the mulla-nimbee spelling mistake as well. The WW strain I am referring to is definitely different to the one you pointed out on Wiki. The one I am talking about came back to Australia a week after it won the Cannabis Cup all those years ago. Never dreamed of growing though so can't help there.

I read last year on another forum about Cannabis being seperated into more varieties including Sativa, Indica, Ruderalis and now C. Sativa var. Kafiristanica (diesel strains). I have not read anything else about this anywhere or even heard it from anyone and was wondering if this was true? Seems like your the guy to ask Black Dragon.

The once basic gene pool of Cannabis began with Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Afghanica (originating in Afghanistan and Pakistan), more commonly known as Cannabis Sativa Var. Indica. The lesser bred C. Sativa var. Kafiristanica (modern day 'Diesel'), originating in India, has considerably low levels of CBD but high levels of both CBN and THC. Cannabis Ruderalis shows the lowest (~.09%) levels of THC and is rarely bred for uses other than hemp fiber and oil production. C. Sativa’s traditionally high-levels of THC as compared to natural levels of CBD contrast C. Afghanica’s higher CBD content.The contents of Cannabis traditionally used vary by region, though modern use mainly relies on Sensimilla, the process in which female plants are sequestered from male pollination, thus avoiding seed pods and maximizing resin and flower production (therefore THC production). When C. Afghanica and variations of C. Sativa are bred, phenotypes occur, producing favorable anomalies such as aesthetically pleasing scent and color mutations, shortened growth periods, and most desirable, controlled (high) levels of THC and CBD. From these phenotypes are bred colloquial ‘strains’, selectively reproduced for desired traits.

This apparently came from a site called Canna-Wiki which I can't seem to find. I have the link to the forum I read this on but don't want to post it here.

something called 'super skunk' from 15 or so years ago was among the most similar.very trippy high at tiny doses.

t s t .

It would have been right around 15 years ago now too. That was the best pot I ever smoked. It got all the way down here to Canberra if we're talking about the same stuff. Deep green in colour, pungent skunky smell and would make you feel like you were tripping for a good 3 hours off half a cone. I always assumed it was indoor grown?

Don't know about trippy but some very stimulating weed still gets around that must be fairly high in the sativa stakes.

I only indulge occassionally but the last batch I tried kept me awake for about 5 hours repeatedly and it only required a few tokes. This is extremely unusual for me as I normally crash real quick. It was great, said to have originated from the Otways.

Heya Self,

The WW i witnessed was here straight after the winnings so the breeding wouldnt have been far from the original. Remember unless its a clone its always going to vary a bit. Maybe the one i witnessed was more of an Indy dom.

Funny enough, Super Skunk was as Gerbil pointed out an affy X with skunk #1, which itself was a nice X of Colombian, mexican(Acapulco Gold), Thai and Afghani. Think the original was a 3 way not 4 but im not sure. Superior genetic and top breeding made the original Skunk#1 superb.

Re Kafiristanica:

The only info i have at hand is the following distribution scan from "HASHISH!" by Clarke. I havent seem much (nor have i looked) recently re this new subtyping. The Distribution map uses C.Indica Var Kafiristanica instead of C.Sativa Kafiristanica which i cant explain.

gallery_1274_225_97923.jpg

Unfortunatley it doesnt say much re cannibinoid profiles but i spose i could match up hash sample data collected from those areas and it may give some idea as to the differences. Maybe. This would be skewed tho due to storage and maturation times which arnt standardized.

Heres a few to play with, again from "hashish!" by Clarke:

Cannabinoid contents of hashish from major producers.

Origin: CBD%------THC%------CBN% (dry weight)

Afganistan : 1.7-16.5------1.3-22.3-------0.6-4.4

India: 0.2-4.9------0.1-26.0------ 0.1-4.3

Pakistan: 0.0-8.2------0.1-18.7------0.0-9.1

Not much help tho, those ranges are from '77-'89 but they do give some profile indication.