The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hebrew

restless leg syndrome

anyone else here suffer from this, i fucking hate it when i get it, i dont get it all the time but last few weeks i seem to be going through it, i cant sit still somenights cant sleep due to it, nothing seems to help, my father has it too so i think i got it from him. if you got it what has worked for you?

when i speak to GP's about it they dismiss it, i hate GP's they never listen to me, i wish there was a decent doctor around these parts, to get some decent medical care, for my family as well as me

anyway, my legs are pissing me off right about now

an other sufferers?

anyone else here suffer from this, i fucking hate it when i get it, i dont get it all the time but last few weeks i seem to be going through it, i cant sit still somenights cant sleep due to it, nothing seems to help, my father has it too so i think i got it from him. if you got it what has worked for you?

when i speak to GP's about it they dismiss it, i hate GP's they never listen to me, i wish there was a decent doctor around these parts, to get some decent medical care, for my family as well as me

anyway, my legs are pissing me off right about now

an other sufferers?

pretty sure there was a topic on this recently...

A lot of people report if from dopaminergic drugs, Im one of the few lucky with that..

ohh didnt realise there was a topic i vaguely recall tst writing about it in the past. should do a search i guess.

Edited by lsdreamz

it might be pelinster, lsd sounds similar to what i get but i often get it early in the evening too, but when i get it before sleep there is no way i can get to sleep, it is really frustrating, recently i created a sleeping pill from some chinese herbs i wrote about it here in a post somewhere, they seemed to work ok, but had strange dreams, usually very sexual ones

ever been to a doctor about it? what have they told you?

Edited by lsdreamz

its hard to say i get it for sometime then i dont get anythign for a while i notice when i have some stress with work or am overtired i get it.

i toss and turn in bed, its very frustrating. i usually drink some whiskey to try and knock me out, but sometimes that backfires and lay there drunk with fucked up legs

or take some herbs like zizyphus. need to get some more of those seeds

i feel pushed to the limits lately though, i excercise, and eat well. so i dont think it is iron for me.

Sorry to ask VS but i must ask are you using opiates/painkillers etc...?...opiate withdrawal will give you awful tired leg syndrome and it's impossible to get sleep.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

yeah i will talk with tst thanks

hunab, i sometimes use opiates, its true they do give this with withdrawals but i have been having this for years with and without opiate use.

I was waiting for someone to mention opiate withdrawals,

Try magnesium sups, Or cattapress, They really helped for me. also chocamine!

ok thank you

but i have this without the use of opiates.

Try acupressure here...

ten.jpg

Spleen 6

San-yin-chiao

"Three Ying Crossing"

Three cun (about 4 fingers) above medial malleolus, the bump on inner ankle, just behind the posterior edge of the tibia.

Just a guess. hope it helps bro. :)

:bong: <<< option B :P

hmmm i've come across a few people with this...these two sites are very helpful

my grandma has it...but it comes and goes...massage makes a significant difference for her.

http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/31/4/90/3/

http://www.rls.org.au some very interesting info there about potential causes, including nutrient deficiencies, medications/drugs, and genetic research

you kind of mentioned that you doubt if you have an iron deficiency...it seems some people without iron deficiencies actually respond well to iron supplementation anyway..but that should definitely be carefully monitored by a doctor

wikipedia has quite a lot of info including a treatment protocol by first determing if it's primary or secondary RLS

those sites should give you an idea of the blood tests you need to get done if your GP is a bit clueless about it

Edited by coin

thank you legba and coin. much appreciated

Yeah mate i have that unfortunately! Well i think its the same thing? When you body is getting ready to go into sleep mode, you just have this urge to tense your leg muscle.. or bend it.. or move it. You TRY to keep it still and ignore it but it builds up untill you have to kick something haha. You can try and walk.. jump.. stretch.. but as soon as you lay down you have to move your leg. If thats it then yeah i have it to lol

It comes and goes hey. I also have this thing (which i found out later is perfectly normal, i thought i had some brain disease!) when i JUST fall asleep i suddenly jolt/spasm really hard and wake up. My gf says i do it more then once a night and it scares the shit out of her, rightfully so :P. It has something to do with your body falling asleep, but mistaking that feeling as vertigo and your brain feels as if your falling :S So you wake up in a panic only to realise your in bed.

Buy yeah when my leg gets like that i just tense and stretch. I always put it down to soem sort of accumulation of acids/chemicals in the leg and you have to wait untill they get released. Its 100% guessing but if i look at it that way, i accept it and somehow drift off to sleep.

yeh,sounds like you got rls and myclonus[myclonic jerks].

wikipedia is quite a good read if you investigate some links.....think myclonus was a good place to start......

try not to get addicted to benzos!

i got some double dose rls i think......both parents have it but with different symptoms!

zizythus[jujube] and aporphines like corydalis seem to help.

t s t .

p carthagensis appears to have a d2 antagonist effect so it can make it worse after very short term relief from its other actions........

dopaminergics can help but can rebound with symptoms being worse including cramping in the daytime as well.that said a few fava/broad beans can give me a boost to my functionality.

Edited by t st tantra

managing RLS is largely believed to be achieved by regulating dopamine and I also hear Mg sups do work well in some cases...

IndigoSun does know a great deal more than I

one idea which seems to be helping is getting up as soon as it starts.....the longer you lie there the worse it gets......

t s t .

zizyphus i have found to be really good at aiding sleep

its such a good herb, combines with a few other tcm herbs can really help.

but i need to go and get some more. willg et some corydalis while i am there

ok some fava beans too then will get some magnesium supps while i am at it.

thank you

Requip should take care of the RLS. Clonazepam may be prescribed if insomnia is also a seperate problem. Good luck mate!

Edit: If I recall correctly, opiates such as Hydrocodone actually relieve RLS well too.

Withdrawal is far worse than RLS, IMO, that's why they actually call it "kicking the habit"...because your legs aren't just restless, they want to kick really hard...it is awful. And you would probably also have fever/chills and want to jump out of your skin because you feel so icky, so it would be hard to confuse with RLS I think.

Edited by cactophyle

thanks, might have to find a decent doctor. btu first i will get some herbs from the tcm guy

Withdrawal is far worse than RLS, IMO, that's why they actually call it "kicking the habit"...because your legs aren't just restless, they want to kick really hard...it is awful. And you would probably also have fever/chills and want to jump out of your skin because you feel so icky, so it would be hard to confuse with RLS I think.

A FOAF ended an $800 a day habit in a police holding cell. During the night he found pleasure in kicking the edge of the metal bed frame with his shin. Not the conventional way to relieve RLS I am sure..

RLS mustn't be the jimmy leg. The jimmy leg is when you bounce (or more like oscillate) your leg, pivoting on your toes - at a really fast speed. I used to drive my dad crazy doing that out on the back veranda eating dinner as a kid - it would make the whole room shake. There was a Sienfeld episode once about it (where I discovered the label 'jimmy leg'). One of the characters had a girlfriend who did it in bed - keeping them awake all night.

Edited by Pelinster

I actually have a mild form of it but it never worries me...I seem to do it more when I'm relaxing than any other time..wonder what the relationship with the leg shaking and non stressfull situations like just chillin and sitting at your computer etc are...sometimes I find it cathartic and know I'm doing it but still doesn't bother me much and I do it with both legs....not at same time but when I do it ...it can be either the left or right leg....it's a strange syndrome that's for sure...somewhat of a compulsive obsessive disorder perhaps....usually it just comes and goes when it wants ey...can switch it off if think about it but feels like it hasn't finished its cycle when you do that... and wants to start up again.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku