The Corroboree
hebrew

unveiling norma

so went and got some cactus today, see this link

in total there is close to 21 metres of cactus

here is a photo of the plant before removing

daylesford0001.jpg

my guess to this ID of the plant is a peruvianus or macrogonus, possibly a rosei, i would need some more advice on an ID, especially from those here who know rosei better than me but it does resemble the cutting of rosei that i have, in particular the one long spine the rosei has, this cactus also has this trait. but we can discuss ID later in regards to this cactus

we asked about how old this plant is, where it came from etc. we were told, about 20 - 25 maybe more years ago the old lady who owned the cactus before passing away went to the rubbish dump and brought home a cutting from a cactus she found there, this is the plant.

we asked her name and her name is norma, so we thought it fitting that we call this plant norma.

this plant is a huge mother of a cactus, large spines and the cactus is at smallest 10 cm wide. ranging between 10 - 15 cm width. very heavy limbs with large spines.

we got stuck into it with a machete but that proved it was going to be a great deal of work, so out comes the chainsaw. here are some photos of the removal process

• Like 1

daylesford0003.jpg

daylesford0004.jpg

daylesford0007.jpg

daylesford0011.jpg

daylesford0009.jpg

there was no way we were getting the root out, it was like a tree this thing, was going no where so we took it off at the ground and let the roots in there

daylesford0010.jpg

alot of the cactus has a great blue color, really nice looking plant

daylesford0002.jpg

daylesford0008.jpg

daylesford0003-1.jpg

daylesford0001-1.jpg

Edited by VelvetSiren
  • Like 1

Beautiful...it does look slightly like Roseii...very interesting be great to get it in healthy conditions and grow it out and see it's true qualities.

Good work guys...that's some mother of a root system huh...it's prolly pup its ass off next spring now..lol.

Can't wait to get my hands on a cuttin..yee haw.

H.

alos got 1 and 1/2 metres of the cactus next to it, for 5 bucks, knuthianus i would guess it is.

here are some photos of that plant

daylesford0004-1.jpg

daylesford0005.jpg

daylesford0006.jpg

check ebay this time next year for the new pups.

great work VS, thanks again for your machete and chainsaw work ;)

:worship:

daylesford0002-1.jpg

the final haul

here are some mroe photos of the final haul light was going so i couldnt get the best pics will get better pics in a day or so

daylesford0005-1.jpg

daylesford0006-1.jpg

daylesford0007-1.jpg

daylesford0008-1.jpg

daylesford0009-1.jpg

daylesford0010-1.jpg

this one is the other cactus

• Like 1

i have to say that it was yowies skills that worked the chainsaw hes a genius who works with a chainsaw. lucky those big arms didnt fall on him. there were alot of spikes about a rose bush the cactus, and this other grass that has this spike plsu a pomegranate, the old lady loved her cactus her grandson told us and showed some of her other plants to us, she has that knuthianus, a big pedro a large cereus and a lot of spachianus. i asked what they are going to do with the other cacti and they said we dont know hadnt thought about you can buy the other one if you want but i had spent all my cash so couldnt offer anything.

they are going to sell the house so not sure if we will see more from this plant in the future or not

big thanks to apoth and yowie for their help today

good one !!

Edited by Mr G House aka shameless

:) :)

Edited by VelvetSiren

um yeah i edited hahaha any ways it looks kinda cool (post 7 pics)

hey hebs im keen on a tip cut if u would like to sell 1 !!

kinda reminds me of the icaros DNA pics u see.

hey jono, and anyone else interested in getting a cutting of this, just sit tight for a bit until i can get all the cuts sent to the 10 who put in to purchase this., however there will not be any tips available unless the 10 dont want one, in total there are 12 tip cuttings so thats one each for the 10 plus one for yowie as he drove and one for apoth as he got spiked lugging those heavy logs about. anyway i will post here when some cuts are available

Awesome work guys. Very glad to see this huge specimen make it to the Corroboree! Would love a cutting in the future, should anyone have a mid section or a small pup available.

Big ups to all that chipped in for it and esp those who managed to get the old girl in the back of a trailer!

Thanks for all your efforts to the guys who brought Norma back. It's very much appreciated and I'll make sure she does well in her new home.

so working out an ID on this plant will be interesting, i have a feeling it is macrogonus. what kinda photos will i need to help in a good ID on this plant?

I say it's Roseii my self...those fluffy areoles look remarkably like my Roseii tip I renctly bought...if it is Macro thats still way cool...possibly the same plant as the famous sausage plant but I still say Roseii.

H.

passive would know or Mr Smith but he has barred himself from forums after a fight with some one on the nook and he was suspended.

yeah when we first saw it we said peruvians or macro, but looking more at it it reminded me of this huge cut i saw at passives a while back rosei, so i was thinking rosei as well. just not 100%, as i have only seen a few rosei plants, none in this size.

however the rosei i have has similar spination, with one large spine these ones too have one large spine pointing downwards if i remember rightly

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet :)

Im still happy to offer my original $40 towards the main cactus if you need the extra cash and Im also happy to put another $50 towards getting another cactus from the garden.

Ill PM you later on today VS...

I managed to go the whole day without getting spiked, until we were unloading the old lady and copped one through 2 layers of clothing into the knee-cap.

Pulled it out unbroken pretty quickly and thought nothing of it.

About 10PM last night the muscle on my knee-cap began to hurt when I moved it, and still does! Feels like I had accupuncture to my knee or something.

Was a great day, had lots of fun.

Big ups to Norma!

shit man hope it feels better soon, i too had a good day was nice to get out with both you and yowie.

when i was moving them to the backyard, i dropped one of those large logs straight onto my hand spike when straight it, fuck ti hurt. :)

looking forward to our next excursion

im looking forward to a bioassay.

keep us informed hebs!

will do man