The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Are you prepared for the flu pandemic?

Economic chrisis, flu season, paranoia... STOCK UP, SPEND SOME MONEY NOW!

*cough* media scandle...

Its just the opposite really, this is very damaging to economies. What will people stock up on? Mostly foods that they will have bought eventually anyway. Maby a few cheap masks and vitamins. What will people not do? They will avoid cultural events like museums, concerts, car shows, sporting events, etc. They will avoid luxury shopping, ie. the malls will be empty. They will cancel their vacation plans- less air travel, less road travel, less hotel use, less amusement park attendance, again less museum use, etc, etc. They will reduce fast food purchase. People are even rethinking going to banks and car lots.

Economically this is happening at a very bad time, the only time that would have been worse was a few months ago.

Tho dont get me wrong, I'm not saying go out and buy to be patriotic. Half of this economic mess is simply because people were buying too much to the point of it being unsustainable. Before this crash in the US 10% of peoples annual income was from loans against the value of their homes and were still trying to go to restaurants weekly and buy sports cars.

Edited by Auxin

Learn about sterile procedure.

Stock up on antibacterial hand wash stuff.

Face masks.

Ethanol/Methanol and spray things to use them in.

Vitamin C.

Echinacea.

Kalmegh.

Inula.

Latex gloves.

Canned/dried food. IMO dried beans are the best in this regard because you can sprout them with nothing more than a bit of water and paper towels to make your dry food into fresh food. Onions/french shallots/etc have heaps of vitC in them and store really well.

Water purification tablet thingies or a stock of water filter thingies and some large containers to store water in.

Gas tank and cooker to boil water.

Total cost probably less than $200 of your $900 Ruddbux, can put all in a big sealable plastic tub and forget about it.

I work for a vaccine company... I will be part of the process in making swine flu vaccine in a few months so as soon as production gets cranking I will be amongst the first to get vaccinated :D

If I die no more vaccine for anyone, I am a pretty important fella :P FTW!

Gen

This guy is prepared for swine flu...

post-4860-1241425455_thumb.jpg

Swineflu.jpg

Swineflu.jpg

So what herbs and drugs should I stock up on?

Ephedra?

Somebody make a list!

(*Edit*- Those are pretty good Apothecary, anybody got anymore?)

Edited by Teotz'

Have you actually read this thread teotz? A reasonable number were mentioned already. Rather than having a large and confusing array of different herbs and drugs which may or may not be compatible its better to have just a few which are known to be effective. Like kalmegh and echinacea are both established to help fight cold and flu, the latter helping with diarrhea and fever too. Elecampane root (the Inula apo mentioned) is cough medicine that also deworms and boosts the immune system a bit. Horehound can be used for coughs too. So can coltsfoot but I'd avoid that when other medicines are being used (potential drug interaction induced hepatotoxicity). Perhaps just as important may be having pedialyte or oral rehydration therapy fluid concentrate packets so you wont loose too much osmotic balance in your blood which would rapidly make you sicker. I been intending to make some ORT packets but I been busy lol.

Just think through the symptoms and potential for prevention, then look through a herbal and see what matches that you can get, but keep it relatively simple.

Edited by Auxin

So what herbs and drugs should I stock up on?

WTF? read the thread! YOu did the same thing the other day too where you asked a question thatw as answered in the first or second post. READ before you post!

tamiflu is ~$50 in Australian pharmacies.

But I wouldn't bother, I'm giving this strain a few more weeks until it becomes resistant

Baikal Scullcap is pretty cheap at Chinese herbalists, there are some good extracts around too, might be worth looking into. I'm curious to know more about its antiviral properties.

Also...if we lived in a less regulated world, what about the old-time practice of opium use as a preventative against plague, cholera, malaria, beri-beri, etc...just wondering if it has any relevance here. I'm looking at Dikötter's "Narcotic Culture, a history of drugs in China", specifically "Prophylactic Smoke and Infectious Diseases", pp. 74-88.

Edited by Rizla

I have a bastard of a flu at the moment, worst flu I've had since I had the flu in Moscow 1994...

Hope it aint 1 o' those new super flu's... My girl said we should get flu shots, I shoulda' listened... :rolleyes:

Given that oseltamivir is synthesised from a substance found in star anise, I wonder if star anise would have any anti viral activity on it's own?

Further, I wonder how hard the synthesis is? Bootleg Tamiflu anyone?

Most of the Australian available flu vaccines don't contain thiomersal, which hasn't been shown to have any deleterious effects anyway.

Given that oseltamivir is synthesised from a substance found in star anise, I wonder if star anise would have any anti viral activity on it's own?

Further, I wonder how hard the synthesis is? Bootleg Tamiflu anyone?

Hard, very hard

Just got back from Southeast Asia and was detained by quarantine because I have a headache and fever. After 5 minutes they let me go, they don't seem too worried.

I'm sorry but I haven't read through this whole thread, I just want to point out that the reason we are getting all these horrible pandemics is becasue of our gross overconsumption of meat and the conditions in which we keep our animals (anybody who has seen Earthlings will know what I'm talking about)

Anyway, Avaaz says that Swine Flu originated from the hog-waste pools of the giant pig 'factory farms' run by an American multinational corporation in Veracruz, Mexico.

I honestly don't know how good these things are, as the only real changes that can occur will be shifting human thinking and ultimately human behaviour... Nonetheless, they have a petition to sign if you're interested. It will go directly to WHO, urging them to investigate and regulate these horrible places.

I'm sorry but I haven't read through this whole thread, I just want to point out that the reason we are getting all these horrible pandemics is becasue of our gross overconsumption of meat and the conditions in which we keep our animals (anybody who has seen Earthlings will know what I'm talking about)

Anyway, Avaaz says that Swine Flu originated from the hog-waste pools of the giant pig 'factory farms' run by an American multinational corporation in Veracruz, Mexico.

That's actually not correct. While intensive meat production is disgusting and should be stopped, it actually causes far less viral mixing than small holder farms. The main reason is that these factory farms have very intense quarantine procedures and constant monitoring while small holders have no such thing.

For viral mixing all you need is pig with the flu being visited by a bird with flu and a human with flu. This is far more likely in open paddocks run by family farmers than a sealed factory where no birds can get in and no sniffly human is allowed contact with stock.

Then again, I reckon the main problem is our lack of exposure. The longer we have between mass infections the less immunity we have. So all these things we try to do to lessen the impact of a new virus actually just make it worse.

Do you have any Ideas what i can tell my doc to get a prescription for tamiflu when the Swine Flu has ebbed away? I plan to stock some for the future....just in case because i dont want to be dependant on the government in case of possible pandemics! bye Eg

google for an area where birdflu is still active and tell your doc you are travelling near there on essential business. I guess now with the swine flu you could say the same thing, ie you have to go to mexico next month.