The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MindExpansion

Tasers in Australia

Wow those photos make me think that like the Us Oz is overrun with euro-trash colonists. Talk about no diversity.

those pics are of british chavs rather than aussie lads, but yeah, it would be hard to tell the difference.

Ginja didn't know what lads were so his statement I can understand. Hunab, you posted after I explained what they are so there is no excuse. You are defending racist and violent thugs who intentionally identify with that racist and violent thuggery.

heheheh that's laughable...sorry I posted in amongst the melly without reading all the posts..I took Ginja Ninja's view as the way to fly through these types of waters...but there has been a lot of badmouthing and judgemental comments made about a lot of sub groups lately and I'm starting to see a little too much irony and hypocrisy.....I'm not well I know.

Wow those photos make me think that like the Us Oz is overrun with euro-trash colonists. Talk about no diversity.

you cheeky cheeky git...! :wink:

The thing that I think is not very nice is lumping the people in the vid with 'lads' and then in a sense attempting to justify the situation.

Torsten, I dont think what a 'lad' is has much importance. Just the fact that people are blindly judging people from a 26second vid with no audio.

What do 'lads' have to do with this vid? And from the pics you posted if someone wanted to make blind judgement the kids in the vid look nothing like so called 'lads'.

That were the judgmental attitudes come into it for me.

I agree with you there [didn't like the same tack in the emo thread either]. If they were lads it would have been a free-for-all. I never said they were lads. My comments were just about lads but not about the kids in the video. Lads or not, that girl did give the cop a good kick which is usually a good way to get hurt.

I was actually more intrigued by the fact that the cop dropped the stun gun. In the media release it also mentions something about better handling of the weapon.... holding onto it would be a good start ;)

Involuntarily pissing and shitting yourself...

a 16 yr old female..

"Necessary force"...

A human can resist any other human. No right or wrong there.

If I get lip from some smart kids in a mall, I dropkick them if I have to. No abdication of personal power for me!

If half the world weren't such bitches, I think the age old aggresor-retaliator instinct would still be working just fine!

And maybe those who are designated the power to protect, could be just a touch tougher to begin with, and a little less hasty to shoot high powered voltage into a kids. Not to mention allowing yourself to be fist f*cked in the head by a girl..

Lad and chavs and ravers and fuck knows what else aside, tasers suck the arse of human rights-

as do the powers we're giving police while we are resigning our own.

Just my 2c.

With the riots across the globe last year, it seems youth tensions are high in nearly every nation.

The youth in the US strike me as ineffectual, even profoundly ignorant, this prevents some problems and encourages others. We tend to have less of a problem with groups and more of a problem with individuals. The propaganda machine the government employs (we call it television) seems pretty good at preventing the kids from knowing their options.

Then again we have trigger happy police galore. There was a cell phone video of a young woman on ecstasy who was zapped by police dressed like soldiers and wearing machine guns as they broke up a rave where dancing is illegal. In the US also public gatherings are now illegal without a permit, so police can use force to disband any decent size group of people.

Still Australia seems nicer to me than the states. I'd move in a heartbeat given some land to work and some water to raise crops.

I was under the impession cops in aus didn't have tasers yet and I'm pissed off that they do. Is it only queensland thats let them have tasers? If this shit makes it to VIC I'll be one cut up turkey.

Personally I'm against the police having stun guns or tasers. I see their usefullness in situations where the police have to handle a person with a weapon, if they had air-tasers (projectile stun gun weapons) they could disable the person with the taser rather than use lethal force. These are such rare occurances and I believe better people skills and training in negotiation are more effective techniques. The likelyhood of abuse is high. Instead of physically handling a person the police will likely resort to electrocuting them instead. Even if the weapon is used in the right circumstances it can still be used excessively. Guy with knife gets tasered, goes to ground, drops knife, police continue tasing the man to 'correct his attitude'. This bears great risks. There are a shitload of deaths in the the US from the police tasing people, so they are hardly a non leathal alternative, people with heart issues are likely to go into cardiac arrest and people with pacemakers are screwed more so. I've heard of inarmed people in wheelchairs getting the zap.

With this particular situation, I'm shocked at the respone here. 'she deserved it' 'had it coming' etc. wtf. The way I see things the copper grabs her suddenly, in most people this would trigger a reaction of some sorts, if you'd had a couple, likely a violent one. She fights back and a friend gets involved. A kick gets let loose, a bit of back and forth, the policeman retsrains her with some help, drops the stun-gun, picks it up and gives her some. I think the officers actions were excessice to say the least. But, apparently because they are young and sitting around looking like 'lads' or 'chavs' they got what they deserved and the coppers just did a good a job. Thats some blatently judemental crap for a forum thats meant to be open minded.

Call them what you want. Doesn't mean shit really, they could be junkies or career criminals, they are people and still have rights and the police still have regulations controlling the use of tasers.

Being from the states police with stun guns is a bit nicer than police with just guns.

I think that cops should not have to even carry guns on their sides, it creates more violence and escalation. I think they should have some decent guns in their car that they can employ if they are showing up to a situation that mandates guns, but when cops bring guns to every situation it causes some serious problems and death for good people including officers. Having a stun gun is a viable alternative to having a tool of murder at your hip.

Since police are tools of oppression whatever recourse we have to curb their ability to persecute and destroy lives is is a recourse that should be adopted. When police show that they are on the side of the public by refusing to enforce unethical and immoral laws then let them have guns. When the civil rights movement happened in the US the police violently enforced horrific laws and violently attacked the public who wanted only reform of those horrible laws.

Police are among the largest threat to public safety and freedom that has ever existed. They are not accountable to the public for their actions and they are dishonest as a function of their job. They lack honor and decency in general, not as individuals but categorically.

We where all young once....I used be a full on punk with 18" high red Mohawk and paramilitary boots, piercings, leathers the whole lot...we never caused any trouble and just went to clubs that played the music we liked... Pistols, GBH, The Exploited and Dead Kennedys...people where scared of us as we walked around the streets but we never intentionally caused any trouble...we did however have to defend ourselves against other groups of Lebs and what not as they wanted to beat the crap outta us. It's tough growing up in London I tell you...there is fuck all to do except take pills and drink beer and kick a football around...most of them are so fucking bored outta their minds they hang around in groups to make some fun...admittedly some of them cause trouble and pinch shit but most will usually grow out of it. Parents of these kinds of lads are usually at the boozer all day and don't give a shit about where they are...great role models aren't they.

H.

how do the brits do it? is anyone aware if bobbies carry stun guns or tasers at present?

We where all young once....I used be a full on punk with 18" high red Mohawk and paramilitary boots, piercings, leathers the whole lot...we never caused any trouble and just went to clubs that played the music we liked... Pistols, GBH, The Exploited and Dead Kennedys...people where scared of us as we walked around the streets but we never intentionally caused any trouble...we did however have to defend ourselves against other groups of Lebs and what not as they wanted to beat the crap outta us.

Ha ha...me too. Been there, done that. A bit later in the states maybe (1980's). Thanks for that, HK.

I do think the Nautica thing is a big departure from the punks...and we didn't have as much corporate media

crap telling us what to do...we had to make it up for ourselves. A more real subculture.

It must be really confusing, and a world full of conformity, for kids these days. Here in the USA, it's the

"gangsta" subculture (which we've spread like the plague to the rest of the world). Scarface and machine gun

idolatry. I know some good kids who are knee deep in that crap. It's tough to break the spell.

Yeah man there is nothing worse than seeing a white kid acting like a black mean ass rapper ...its soooooo pitiful.....

Whats the deal in Australia with this trend with teenage guys wearing these surfing caps with the visor turned up...they are everywhere in groups around malls and beach shops and basically in every public place...its the weirdest fashion sub group culture I've noticed lately.

At least us old 80's punks had some style about our fashion... :P

H.

sounds like you're gettin a bit too old to "get it" hunab :P you're not down with the "jive" us "turkeys" are slamming. can ya dig? hahahaha

post-4860-1239245212_thumb.jpg

PPPPPFFFFFTTTTTT.....!!!!!!!!

post-4860-1239245253.jpg

FUCKING LEGEND..!!!!!!!!

whitetrashrap.jpg

exploited_wattie_tn.jpg

whitetrashrap.jpg

exploited_wattie_tn.jpg

Edited by Hunab Ku

I'm very meh on the Tasers.

Give the police any instrument (sometimes a badge will simply suffice) and there will be some that will misuse it.

Giving the police a weapon where they can shock people at varying volts without giving them any bruises is their wet dream. Come on, a weapon that causes pain (and it definately does) and is non-lethal, bound to shut the mouth of anybody they deem overtly annoying. bound-to-be-misused.

Tasering people already restrained is already happening in the states and it's not like the police here arn't incomparable in their behaviours and jerkish nature.

Any training and rules in place upon it's release eventually becomes degraded with time, every year or so there will be the typical publicised abuse of the tasers with the public outcry. Once the cats out of the bag, it won't be going back in.

Edited to remove typos.

Edited by Sparkster

too true brother!