The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ddd

Trichocereus bridgesii mosntrose melted wax clone

There is very little information about this clone. I'm wondering how rare it is?

Was it found in the wild or seed grown.

Does it ever flower?

Does it have any other interesting characteristics worth mentioning?

I have no idea, but I know Sacred Succulents sales a "Melted Wax" pachanoi... maybe I'll ask them.

I'm pretty sure it arose from seed... but thats just a guess!

This thread shows a few of them. I've looked all over the net, and there's only a few pics of this clone. I think It's pretty rare. It seems to be a four ribbed bridgesii that goes monstrose and/or looses ribs.

O hey I forgot... I have one :)

It's the Trichocereus "semi-monstrose" bridgesii from Lotusland via Sacred Succulents.

I believe the Rev'meister (Juicemonkey) has this clone. probabably best to go ask over at AE, he will be able to give you some answers..

While on the subject of morphing/melting trich, I super keen on a cutting of 'Kai' if anyone has one to trade?

I have some Eileen and other bridgesii..

ive recently propagated the bejesus out of my kai plants,

will have plants available early spring, will hold 1 for u andy.

shes a beautiful cactus, probably my fav.

i have a melted' bridg clone, will post pics of it and the rest of my cacti (in particular my new cacti garden im quite proud of) soon.

Nah, it's just a moniker rev put on before he knew better - it's Bruce. Like Kai seems to, it only happens occassionally. Normal in other respects - flowering etc.

Edited by strangebrew

Ahh, yeah, my brain didn't catch the 'monstrose' part, I only know of a bridgesii melted wax clone not a TBM melted wax clone.

Below you can see a pic of the one I refer to as the TB Melted-Wax clone, is it the same as Kai, I dont think so but I haven't seem much of it other than these pics.

Its not very stable having a tendency to change back and forth with propagation.

Also unlike some, I do believe there is a clone A/B of the TBM.

From all the pics Ive seen the clone B looks much more phallic and less bulbous with more of an upright, straight habit rather than clone-A which is rounder, fatter in the middle and when it grows long bits they have more of a curved shape.

I'm unsure how true this is or not but apparently its possible to graft a section of a cactus that is showing an unusual trait compared to the rest of the plant, so perhaps this is how it came about?

(Rev's 'Melted Wax' clone)

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5885&pid=53527&mode=threaded&show=&st=0

normal_Melted_bridgesii.jpg

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/gallery...d_bridgesii.jpg

(TBM clone A and B)

Clone A (clumping)

penis_cactus_short_540.jpg

Clone B (Phallic)

Trichocereus_penis_540.jpg

trichocereus_bridgesii3.jpg

571682797-b2.jpg

This is what I was talking about. What's the name of this clone and if there's any more info-please let me know.

post-5345-1238091297_thumb.jpg

post-5345-1238091318_thumb.jpg

post-5345-1238091354_thumb.jpg

post-5345-1238091378_thumb.jpg

What would be the smallest segments that could be cut from this cactus to make cuttings? I've had good luck with peruvianus and pedro down to 2", but I'm inexperienced when it comes to growing bridgesii.

If I make suttings, my goal would be:

1st To have all of the cuttings survive.

2nd To get as many cuttings as possible.

Would it be fine to make cuttings and let them dry before planting AND let them root before watering. OR should I look into something to prevent rot? I think sulfur was mentioned before.

Hi ddd! We have many posts about how to make cuttings! There is no substantial difference between peruvianus and Bridgesii when it comes to cuttings! I never had Problems with Rot on any Bridgesii monstrose! And I gave water right from the start! Just make sure that the soil can dry out between watering cycles! Sulfur isnt that important but i dont think it can hurt! Just dont use dirty knives and then you should be fine! make sure that the cuttings arent too small! The size of a hand is a good size! The smaller they are, the slower they grow! bye Eg

Thanks, I'll treat it like any other trichnocereus.

ddd is easy to type fast:)

Yea, there's a lot of areoles, even though the pics don't show them. I figure each cut wil have at least 4.

So what's the name of this cactus? Earlier in this thread someone said there is no "T B M melted wax."

This isn't Kai is it? I've only seen 1 pic of a shifting kai and I remember thinking it looked simmilar.

I think this clone grows to about 12-15 inches then pups at the base. I've seen another persons cactus pup at 15" and this one is just over a foot and there's a bulge on one of the lower aeroles.

I wonder if it would ever flower? It would make a nice cross with another flowering bridgesii with shape shifting tendencies (eileen).

There's a mosntrose melted wax clone now?

Pics?

iGfaft at the nook had a plant he shared around that looked like melted wax. only such copy i've ever seen

I joined and searched for igraft. It seems like some of his posts are deleted, I couldn't see any of his pics. It looks like there's a lot of information at the nook, there's always more to learn.

In the USA we call the clumping clone "B" and the columnar TBM "A" - so does Sacred Succulents I believe...

Nitrogen- I have both clone A and B TBMs. This clone is different from both. It's like a four ribbed bridgesii that's constantly changing shapes. Some areas of it are really square. It has about 25-30 aeroles. I'm trying to learn more about aeroel/rib grafting. I'm thinking about propigating this one, maybe spread it out a little. I searched most of the nook, google and here- and I can't seem to find more pictures like it.

I REALLY wish there was a reliable tutorial about areole/rib grafting of columnar cacti.

off topic a bit so sorry, but is it common for kai to basal pup at 10 15 cm?

its now the same height of the main cacti.

Hope it keeps up. B)

edit ddd i remember a topic which wandgina had been giving out a cactus that looked liked that supposedly grew perty slow, sure it was a lot thicker.

Edited by spacemonk

Great looking "melted wax" TBM! Doesn't look like the standard "A" (phallic) and "B" (clumping) clones in the USA, but more like the T. Pachanoi f. monstrosus "Melted Wax" clone. Looking forward to getting a TBM clone "A" here. Will probably cut up and graft my TBM clone with a couple T.Cuzcoensis rootstocks (make 1 cutting go a long way!)

Anyone know if the monstrose forms flower, or require special treatment to flower? Think it would be awesome to cross mutant with non-mutant to get some interesting babies!