The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DreamingNagual

Giant Lebanese Zucchini!

Greetings Friends,

I have this Lebanese Zucchini in my Garden & As you can see in the Pics the only Zucchini on the plant is pretty damn Huge!

I was wondering if this is a normal trait for this species or do I have a freak on my hands?

It measures 300mm Long & is 430mm Round,

post-16-1235971871_thumb.jpg

post-16-1235971839_thumb.jpg

Thankyou people!

Edited by DreamingNagual

Hmmm it might just be full of seeds?? If this is the first time you've grown it, harvest it now and see :)

Zucchinis end up huge when they are fully mature, what we normally see in shops are just babies picked young to be tender.

Thanks Guys,

Coin, Yes it is the first time I have grown it, I am planning to cut it open and see whats inside. Altho I am unsure as when it may be the right time to do so!

Calyx, I did have that thought but I assumed it would be that dark green colour when ready for picking, Or like when a pumkin on the vine is mature and it sorta dies back!

Anyway I will be interested to see if it turns out to be tender at all or hard & woody?

I would love to pickle some of it!

EDIT:

I have just been doing some reading on Yates' & other sites, and it turns out Lebanese Zucchini are a Lighter Green & about 15 to 20cm is a good size to pick these things.

So I am goin to pick it off the plant & since it is a nice size,

I can try a few different recipes.

Like Thin sliced & grilled with a little olive oil With Cracked Pepper Sea salt & Lemon Juice.. Hmmm Yum!

Hey Nagual! Any Atomic Power Plants in your neighbourhood? Theres even a cola bottle growing out there! :P I Never grew Zuchini but this ones is thicker than the one i know from my Organic Vegetable Store. The ones i know are as thick as a cucumber! I know this because i always mix them up! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Looks great man! Sounds tasty too!

if you pick it now, you will neither get seeds nor a good tasting vegetable.

but you will get a big zuchini which is woody in texture, but if you would have left her would have even got woodier.

leting the plant produce a big fruit, take a lot of energie, so if you want those small succulent yummy zuchini, don't let big ones form. the first time, i grew them the same thing happend, one day (obviously it had been hidden) i discovered that big zuchini and though, wau i must be a damm diddly good gardener, haha.

zuchini, is one of the most essential veges one can grow, they are easy, don't need stalking, and there is something ready to eat on the plant always, as you can eat the flowers aswell. the very big fruits can be used in a baked dish, cut in halve, scrape the seeds and mush out (like that the fruit becomes a baking dish, mix mince with herbs and maybe a bit of bacon, place that into the veg, and bake, yummy.

the only trouble with them is mildew, but if you keep planting seeds you will always have new and strong plants, taking over the job of producing you your tucker. thats why producing your own seeds is so handy, you will have tons of seeds and can replant often and it saves you lot's of money! :)

^ Exactly right. Generally fruit left to grow to this sort of size is referred to as a marrow, though I'm pretty sure the term 'marrow' is a general term to describe members of the squash family. With age and size generally comes bitterness or at least blandness. Much nicer to eat when smaller!

Edited by poo

When i did zuch picking to make things interesting the guys would always leave one fruit in the lanes to see how big they would get. They can get a whole lot bigger than that picture, i've seen them get to about 80cm long and 20cm wide, maybe even bigger!

Thanks for the Advice Guys, I have planted some more out!

Will the original Plant throw out anymore fruit?

the plants will produce zuchini for around 6 months or so.

in case the original plant is the one with the big fruit, yes, she should produce more, but producing big fruit, seems to take a lot of strengh and virgor from a plant, so she might be a slow producer for a while, or even never get back to full production (but you will get more fruit of her)

if you pick early and often, than you will get allways lot's of young zuchini comming up,

than at the later stages of there life, you let one fruit get big, so you have seeds for youreselve and your friends for the next few years! B)

the monster fruits get picked once they turn yellow, and than you have to remove the seeds from the mush and clean and dry them. once they are dry (dried inside, no sunlight) you store them in the fridge, packed airtight.

nothing beats the feeling, of rushing into the garden and picking a few veges, whilst the steak is sizzling already!!

zuchini are one of the best veges to take in and absorbe flavors, if you place a few slices of zuchini next to your pan fried steak the juices will all permiate into the zuchini,

ahh, yellow, golden, fried brown, zuchini flavored by the meat juice, yummy!! :drool2: