The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

any oberon hunters?

i will b in the area this winter, wondering if there any mycologists that frequent this area that i may be able to assist in their studies.

I used to go up hunting for edibles in the Autumn with my mother. Plenty of boletus spp. and lactuarius deliciosus (the latter rocks when fried with butter and salt). On a good day you can pick enough to fill your car boot to capacity (with leftovers), and that's not even considering the amanitas.

Edited by JDanger

I'd like to get there for at least one trip in this year. Long drive but would be worth it. Never been there in Autumn/Winter, but know the area reasonably well. Lets keep each other mutually posted.

Edited by MORG

cool, a field trip sounds great!!

i have a little knowledge on edibles but some more experienced peeps would have a better idea than me.

maybee we could make a weekend out of it? stay at a local motel?

anyone else interested?

http://www.forest.nsw.gov.au/pub

Edited by incognito

Sounds like an excellent idea - great way to learn and pass on information! I'll be there.

next question- what dates would suit most people interested? id be keen for a weekend, ill look into accomadation in the area and will book once we have a clue on numbers.

sounds exciting.

mmm gourmet mushroom cookup on an open fire :drool2:

Edited by incognito

I am so there. If I can get there, that is.

Though it's a wee bit difficult to plan dates based on good weather. From memory the ideal times are early March-mid April.

i would love to come as well. i can drive but don't have a car (if thats any good at all. ha).. would love to learn about picking edibles.

i will contact the oberon information centre and find out best time to go and accomodation in the area? would people prefer to camp? id say it would be fugen cold!

ill report back when i got that info, maybee this should be moved to chill.

i'm keen

As someone else said, the problem will be getting your planned date in line with the weather, since you need to go down the first few seriously cold weeks of autumn/winter... AND, after a few days of solid rain. Maybe you should organise a number of weekends all in a row and then decide which one to go on closer to the date when you know what the weather is forecast to be.

Yeah i've been going up there every now and again over the last couple of years, so definately wouldn't be adverse to a SAB mushroom hunt weekend. :)

I can drive and have a car so I guess I'm your guy :) Happy to take a few travellers along, would likely have 3 seats spare if my wife comes along.

I can drive and have a car so I guess I'm your guy :) Happy to take a few travellers along, would likely have 3 seats spare if my wife comes along.

well my girlfriend has a car.. if she came along then i'd have three spare seats as well...assuming i can borrow it which depends on my day to day behaviour. ha.

Shotgun!

You can fight my wife for it... :slap:

I will probably come along just for the weekend away. :)

I couldn't see any state forests with accommodation nearby but there might be somewhere that has cabins or similar accommodation. Away from the town, sleeps enough and accommodate a small group.

Like this place - 40 mins from Oberon. http://www.atdw.com.au/publish.asp?get_pro...duct_id=9104046 it could be $20/$30 each a night :)

Ben Chifley Dam.

Fish Present

Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, Murray Cod, Golden Perch, Silver Perch, Redfin, Catfish.

Stocked Fish

Murray Cod, Golden Perch, Silver Perch, Rainbow Trout.

Do I hear a PsyFishing Adventure II?

The huge area of State Forests pine plantations provides an ideal environment for exotic wood mushrooms - prized in Europe and coveted by top Sydney restaurants.

Between late January and early May, Saffron Milk Cap (Lactarius deliciosus) and Bolete (Boletus portentosus) emerge to be picked. State Forests ask visitors to keep clear of areas being tree-felled, park cars right on the edge of the road and remove your rubbish.

Link

Now's the time. Those cabins sounds mighty fine, and the right price.

Edited by JDanger

Do I hear a PsyFishing Adventure II?

Link

Now's the time. Those cabins sounds mighty fine, and the right price.

hmmm it seems rain is building up here now, i might take my nephews out for a drive to have a look this weekend...

i need a week advance to let work know i wont be in,,, so man maybee we should organise a weekend? maybee a choice of the next 3 weekends??

the cabins look great and if theres no shrooms about we can always go fishen, mmm fresh fish and fresh shrooms.

guess now its who is definately in, and which weekend suits best? last weekend pf the month is out for me unfortunately.

Weekend of the 21st-22nd seems free to me.

shit. don't think i can make any weekend this month. oh well, just go ahead without me. once a date is selected i can try and organise stuff around it if it's possible. bummer.

next weekend is cool for me if anyone wants to go for a look-see