The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
faustus

Girl dies after Big Day Out overdose

Yes, especially since they're chasing that no good nasty supplier who was probably in her class (assuming she was still in school).

Update: Sniffer Dogs "Raise Risk" for Dance Party Drug Users-SMH

Props Ms Toovey one of the most unbiased approaches I have seen in the mainstream media for a long time

It is a pity that the police ignored the warning that report presented...but of course the cops know better than some dumb report don't they....

But agreed man, props to her, good report, and I'm glad someone in the media had the balls to get up and say it.

I never like it that they call them MDMA pills, and then give them the nickname ecstacy, because MDMA and ecstacy are not necessarily the same thing as we know, so the two terms should not be used interchangedly especially in the media where the public, who have less knowledge of these things, will then assume every ecstacy overdose is a result of MDMA.

Peace

I think whats sad is because this scene is run by criminals they couldn't give two fucks who the stuff gets sold to, its a massive argument for legaliastion and regulation of the substance

1.Would take the funds and power away from criminal gangs

2. Would allow regulated doses and controlled sale

3. Would allow tax benefits gained from the sale to be put back in research and health services

4. Would create an enviroment where education of the user could be advanced at POS

5.Would stop adultration of Substances and more dangerous related chems such as PMA being passed off

neoshaman you have my vote regulate & educate is the only way

that said there have been bad batches of pharmaceuticals but the damage was limited because most are taken off the shelf if any problems occur

now if only the government & law makers had this sort of attitude towards drugs in general this sort of thing would be drastically reduced

bad batches of street made drugs are unregulated & sold to unsuspecting users until they are all sold (the crims & dealers just want to move the batch & be done with it, they dont care about the end user

if they are not targeting users then why was only one person charged with intent to supply surely if a user knew they would not be charged, then they would not panic & neck their whole stash ?

Edited by mac

bad batches of street made drugs are unregulated & sold to unsuspecting users until they are all sold (the crims & dealers just want to move the batch & be done with it, they dont care about the end user

was it last year or the year before all that blackmarket vodka went round the ukraine and russia and people were dropping left right and centre due to getting toxic hepatitits............................................

.............................................its funny how its a reason to regulate and tax alcohol but not a valid reason for anything else GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR stupid stupid fucking Politicians :BANGHEAD2:

Regardless of whether or not cops have a right to search everyone (which I personally don't htink they should), she had to have known it was incredibly risky to dump three at once, in the heat of summer, go in adrenaline-rushing rides, at a big social event.

That said; fuck pigs, fuck dirty hypocritical politicians. Dont' they realise how much MORE dangerous it is to only supply one side of the factual argument regarding drug use???

Regardless of whether or not cops have a right to search everyone (which I personally don't htink they should), she had to have known it was incredibly risky to dump three at once, in the heat of summer, go in adrenaline-rushing rides, at a big social event.

I hear this alot on a range of issues and i disagree, to me this leads to potential broader social acceptance of such mind sets and then the actual issue at hand is never addressed.

I don't recall any drug education in Australian society other than what is selftaught/sought or similarly through friends/acquaintances.

Incredibly intelligent individuals can do the most idiotic of things in specific social situations and IMO more or less subconsciously.

Yes, especially since they're chasing that no good nasty supplier who was probably in her class (assuming she was still in school).

Update: Sniffer Dogs "Raise Risk" for Dance Party Drug Users-SMH

Hey i just read this article and it said something like " drug sniffing dogs at gigs, can cause people to panic and dump there stash, this works against the states "HARM MINIMISTATION APPROACH"

Wasnt it lil dic hed jonny who laid down a "ZERO TOLERANCE APPROACH" nation wide? circa 05' ( i think i heard him do or say some shit like that, i cant be fucked bieng a keyboard ninja at the mo/ sorry no link )

Could all the states just get together and work some stuff out!! a national aproach too things?

Hey fuck i'll sell em one right now...... ready

~ZERO TOLERANCE TO HARM MINIMISATION~

I just saved em thousands (k'ching$$$) in marketing fees and it keeps more in line with what the all states are doing.

Poor gemma, loss of a beatiful young woman.

I hear this alot on a range of issues and i disagree, to me this leads to potential broader social acceptance of such mind sets and then the actual issue at hand is never addressed.

I don't recall any drug education in Australian society other than what is selftaught/sought or similarly through friends/acquaintances.

Incredibly intelligent individuals can do the most idiotic of things in specific social situations and IMO more or less subconsciously.

I'm not quite sure what exactly you're disagreeing to? That she couldn't have known doing such a thing is a risk? Of course none of us at 17 are as savvy as now, but still, that's common sense to be careful on drugs. Especially ones that are so commonly touted as being unutterably dangerous.

IMO REAL drug education covering ALL sides as most accurately as possible is the only way people are going to be able to have the best chance at making the best decisions. It would be silly to assume that even then nobody will abuse or misuse, but the people who don't want to die will have a far greater understanding of how to avoid that situation.

It's all been said here before. Preaching to the choir...

Self taught drug education for the most part recently has come via the interweb...what the ramifications will be if the web filters eradicate access to this information is anyone's guess.

H.

Drug victim had nothing to fear: police

But West Australian police said Ms Thoms had nothing to fear as there were no drug detection dogs at the festival, apart from dogs being used by railway police at the Showground rail station.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/529788...im-fear-police/

covering their ass ??

Mate they started covering their arse they day it happened, blaming a bad batch of pills....but I still haven't seen any more details on this 'bad batch'.

Peace

Mate they started covering their arse they day it happened, blaming a bad batch of pills....but I still haven't seen any more details on this 'bad batch'.

Peace

LOL when the fuck don't they sad thing is all the dogs cover each others back and you never get any progress in regards to justice. There weren't dogs on the gate so fucking what you and your stuopid fucking muts were at the event. If you were there simply for safety why the fuck were sniffer dogs there

if I hear onew more thing about old retarded Mr Woods I swear i'm going to loose it your fucking daiughter died cause of the actions of her stupid friends its all very wel;l to demonise a drug but anyone with half a brain can see the obvious if the young were given sufficiebnt education on the topic , ridiculous laws were not in place , and the product was legal and regulated his daughter would more then likely be alive

A big fuck you to Mr Woods

A bigger fuckyou to Inspector Wayne Silver I woul urge everyone with a bit of free time to email this cunt and let him know what a worthless piece of scum he is for trying to justify the polices activiies and cover there arses -- THERE IS NO JUSTFICATION YOU DUMB PIG

And the Biggest Fuck You of all to the senseless politicians who are too balless to call for real reform and instead stand by their draconian drug laws while Young people die :wave-finger:

"... it is the scourge of the modern society.

Thanks for the link. And here I was thinking that credit spending and materialism was the scourge of modern society.

Boy did he prove me wrong!

Teenager's death won't deter drug crackdown: Commissioner

The West Australian Police Commissioner, Karl O'Callaghan, says he would support the use of amnesty bins at music festivals where people can dispose of illicit drugs.

His comment follows the death of 17-year-old Gemma Thoms, who died in hospital after taking ecstasy tablets at the Big Day Out music festival in Perth on Sunday.

Ms Thoms took one ecstasy tablet before being dropped at the event, and is reported to have panicked and swallowed more tablets she was carrying after fearing police would search her.

The Organised Crime Squad is investigating the death, and trying to trace the origin of the drugs.

Commissioner O'Callaghan says amnesty bins are a good idea and may help prevent a similar tragedy.

"It's not a bad suggestion," he said.

"We would certainly be willing to cooperate with that if it was done in connection with another government agency, but that's not to say we would change our strategy.

"We will be at the Big Day Out next year doing exactly the same thing.

"Ultimately, police were there doing the job they were required to do.

"We were looking for people in possession of drugs, both for personal use and for sharing, and we were responding to what the community expect us to respond to.

"We found a number of people at that event who had a shareable amounts of drugs."

Link

how awesome would an amnesty bin be! i shotgun volunteering for garbage disposal.

what a load of fucking bullshit. neo whats this cocksuckers email? i can usually handle most of the bullshit put out - but this is possibly the most evil action i've seen in a long time. how dare they try and cover their arses up in such a manner. shows you just how fucked up and wrong this world is :angry:

EDIT:

how awesome would an amnesty bin be! i shotgun volunteering for garbage disposal.

lucky piggies angry:

Edited by misteek

hmm new terminoligy there,wonder what that seeming softening is about............extra drugs to 'share' not calling people /her a dealer?

t s t .

hmm new terminoligy there,wonder what that seeming softening is about............extra drugs to 'share' not calling people /her a dealer?

t s t .

nothing wrong with a little sharing

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/ContactUs/tabid/922/Default.aspx

Here is a more appropriate avenue to vent our Rage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how many enquires it would take simultaneously to crash the server :P

Edited by neoshaman

nothing wrong with a little sharing

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/ContactUs/tabid/922/Default.aspx

Here is a more appropriate avenue to vent our Rage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how many enquires it would take simultaneously to crash the server :P

Everyone prepare for the drug demonisation to go into overdrive again those opportniistic sensaltionalist wankers at today tonight have picked up the story and it is being aired tonight anyone that does know the truth regarding these substances I would urge to start bombarding channel 7 with some good backed up factual research especially regarding the vast quanities that are consumed with very little problem Further to that Mediawatch should also be made fully aware of any incorrect information portrayed in the report lets nott stand for this disinformation and bullshit any longer any other media organisations that support fair and unbiased reporting should also be made aware of channel 7 dribbling bullshit . :uzi:7

Edited by neoshaman

i hope somebody taped it? yes youtube it?

bah fucking today tonight i bet that shit had a worse outcome than WWII. anyone able to let the rest of us know what was said?

Hopefully someone else can put what they saw into better words than me but overall, the Today Tonight coverage was reasonably fair and I was able to watch the whole story with mum in the room without feeling too pissed off by the content. It was seemingly more reasonable than I was expecting to see on commercial TV and lacking the pure misinformation that seemed to be spreadby the media after Anna Wood's death.

I thought the Thoms family's opinions expressed on Today Tonight were shown in a reasonable manner for a "cheesy" news show. Even in a tragedy like this, Gemma's mother and step-father seemed to share a fairly open view on the cause of their loss. The step-dad, being a paramedic (of some form), gave an brief but fair summary on the topic, acknowledging that there were many things that could have been done differently including getting professional medical aid quicker rather than leaving it in the hands of first-aiders. Likewise, the mother had many ideas on what could have been different such as not giving the daughter a ticket to the BDO event but there didn't be so much blame placed on MDMA itself, rather the circumstances that could have prevented the tragedy. There was mention of the consumption of the three fatal ecstasy tablets as being the result of fear of being caught by the railway sniffer-dogs and much less sensationalistic misinformation about the death being totally drug related than I had expected.

Definitely things that could have been added to the debate but on the contrary, nothing to really piss me off.

Edited by The Alchemist

the final comment from the mother was heartbreaking.........

something like'she was a stupid girl and i loved her'............

t s t .

Broadcast primetime to the entire nation?

If so one should consider manufacturing consent.

Who are the players?

Foreign criminals,domestic politicians,national broadcasters.

Who are their victims?

That would be you.