The Corroboree
t st tantra

secrets of lilly and lotus

Please forgive me for my laziness right now but what species is the yellow flowered water lilly? I found some growing in a pond a tourist stopover in SW WA the other day and picked a flower. It smelled a bit like bubblegum (definitely different to the blue lotus smell) but after the smell diff. i wan't game to eat the flower. What's the go? Anyone tried these?

the yellow ones can be nymphaea hybrids but there is also nuphar genus which i think is mainly yellow.nuphar is listed as containing a number of large molecules of possibly dubious activity,see theos coments above.i have smoked pink white and yellow water lillies labled as nymphaea hybrids and consider them interchangeable.i wonder if these include nymphaea crossed with nuphar?

t s t .

i bumped into local gnome sid kazyultii the other day,the previous time we talked i mentioned emboden writting about the mayans possibly using water lillies and toads together.

this inspired sid to smoke some water lilly and then some ground 'yopo' seeds.he had some old dry seeds and didnt even roast them,just mixed with tobacco in a cigarette about one bean or so.

there was strong synergy,definately stronger than was expected from either alone.visions with psychedelic effects led to a night of intense dreaming and a very zonked following morning.

t s t .

i was wondering if a vodka(43%) extraction would work as well as the brandy extraction?

and excuse my ignorance but how would u do a water ext.? just infuse the herb in water for awhile, strain and maybe evaporate the water off??

Vodka would work as well or better.

Making a 'sun tea' by soaking the flowers in water in a clear jar in the sun for a few hours is a good way to do a low temperature aqueous extraction. You can evaporate off (low temperature again) some of the water to concentrate it further.

My partner and I smoked an acetone extract of Nelumbo Nucifera (pink) Flowers, 1 word that sums it all up is bliss.

We had been out the night befor, upon arriving home, started to feel a little average so I rolled one up and added a fair amount of the extract to it, after the first couple of puffs, we felt fantastic, clear headed, euphoric, inner peace, with ever wave like visual activity, the more we smoked the more trashed we got, it was beautiful. Was very content to just sit and be still, without talking we shared some kind of unspoken connection.

The effects wore off after an hour or so with after effects lasting for another 2 hours. Will repeat experience soon without any other substances.

[ 21. January 2004, 06:30: Message edited by: Jack ]

More Beyonding: Two days ago while working in the lab preparing some N. alba soft tar extract I carelessly got some on my hands.

I removed it after only a few minutes, as soon as I could get to the sink from what I had been in the middle of doing and thought I would feel nothing.

It had no overt effects, but the next morning I found myself in the twilight sleep stage wherein one is aware of being awake and asleep at the same time.

I saw a scene in the desert---nothing but sand--and in the sand was a dried skeletal corpse, mummified but not in the egyptian manner; by the desert dryness.

It was lying on it's side with the right arm under the head, supporting it like a pillow and the left arm stretched perpendicularly in front of the corpse. The legs were together and bent at the knee.

It became apparent that the position I was lying in in bed and the position of the corpse were identical, and my conciousness moved from my body to that of the corpse and entered it.

It remained there for what seemed like a few minutes, but I could feel nothing from the corpse and woke up into full consciousness, marvelling at the dream.

I attribute this to the lily extract.

It has the typical charactistics of a lily vision; it relates to things dealing with death and beyond and one 'astrally travels' out of one's own body in the dream.

These effects have been most consistent since the 'portal to the afterlife' first opened for me with Blue Lily.

However, it took almost a year of recreational experiences before I first fell through the hole into the other world.

Pay attention to the images in the dream state; they are the key to understanding the whole thing.

Rev: I am in full and complete agreement with you about the "non-threatening" experience of death and the afterlife as seen by the Egyptian and new world high preists.

Any of the ancient (and some modern) religions with a strong sense of an afterlife/paradise do not fear but welcome death as the beginning and not the end.

Even Christianity, although they would not admit so as many words.

Islam without a doubt.

I have had visions of this current phase of existence being the 'caterpillar' stage of humanity and the afterlife being the 'butterfly' stage.

Too soon to be certain, though... :cool:

[ 21. January 2004, 02:31: Message edited by: friendly ]

Last night I had another dream.

I was leaving the temple--a cubical room entirely white; floor, walls, ceiling, all white--with a priestess in white.

In the center of the room on a white pedestal was a round Blue-Lily-blue (glass?) bowl approximately 4 feet in diameter and 18 inches deep, filled with what seemed to be blue water.

As we were leaving the room, the liquid in the bowl became agitated and started sloshing around violently.

I raised my hands and gestured for the waters to be still. I was immediately grabbed around the middle by a great fist, lifted into the air and taken thrice around the bowl upright in a counterclockwise direction. I became enthused and began chanting Om Mani Padme Hum hoping to increase the effect and break through to the plant spirit directly.

The chanting made the circling slow down and I was gently deposited on the floor, still standing. Perhaps I used the wrong mantra.

I was immediately aware of the fact that I was being shown who was in charge and who was the supplicant. I was shown that I was underestimating/not appreciating the power of the Lily. This was a wake up call to show me the real power of the spirit involved and to put me back in line.

I awoke from the dream highly energized and was unable to sleep for the rest of the night.

Today I feel extremely clear, cleansed and grounded like after a good enthneo experience.

And I have a whole new respect for the amazing powers of the Blue Lily.

I think this dream was meant to draw me back to the Blue Lily which I have been neglecting in favor of N. alba, the white water lily.

Note that the room and everything involved was white but the bowl and liquid were blue and this was where the energy was concentrated. There was definitely some dissatisfaction with me from the Blue Lily bowl and liquid and when I tried to control it, I got shown a lesson. I'm not in charge; I'm only there at the mercy of the Blue Lily

It was very profound and left quite an impression on me. My relationship with Blue Lily has since changed and become more open-minded and accepting.

I had no choice, given the circumstances.

[ 22. January 2004, 02:33: Message edited by: friendly ]

Does nelumbo nucifera have the same subjective effects as the nymphaea species and does it contain apomorphine?

Nelumbo nucifera contains nuciferine among other alkaloids.

Nuciferine is purported to be (it's not been nailed down yet exactly which and how many alkaloids are involved) the main active component of Nymphaea caerulea.

Emboden says (Transcultural Use of Narcotic Water Lilies in Ancient Egyptian and Maya Drug Ritual, J of E. 3 (1981) pg 54-5) "...The identification of nuciferine, nornuciferine, nupharidine and nupharine in several different species of Nymphaea was accomplished by chemists early this century....Diaz reported extracting aporphine from the bulbs and roots (roots--aha!) of Nymphaea ampla...the behavior of a person ingesting N. ampla would be based upon the amount consumed and the joint action of apomorphine and nupharine."

Lily and Lotus are similar but different when the flowers are smoked, but I have done no serious comparison, being fully involved in experimenting with different Lily species with great result.

I have no doubt the effects are comparable though, based on the few times I have dallied with the lotus compared to the many times I have with the lilies.

Read a small section on native aquatic plants, which noted that seeds from the fruit of Nelumbo nucifera to be a good substitute for coffee beans ("most excellent"). Fruits and underground stems being edible raw or cooked.

The introduced Nymphaea capensis and native Nymphaea gigantea, almost every part of the plant said to be edible.

The stalks are said to be skinned and the inner flesh eaten raw.

Don't know how correct the information is.

Was also no direct references to native australians consuming the plants, though i assume thats what they were talking about.

nelumbo contains aporphine which has been confused with apomorphine which it does not contain.

from my experience nelumbo and nyphaea are quite similar in effect,but there are differences.

t s t .

re Lilly and lotus

I would like to know too...

however Lillies tend to grown well in ethe temperate and subtropical areas of this country whilst the Lotus shares the Northern waters with a toothy companion

Theo when you say you make and extract of Nelumbo seed do you mean the embryo or the endosperm - because the latter can be bought at any asian grocer, along with the leaves. But the embryo is conspicuously missing

I cant wait to go n get muddy again - mmm i miss that fragrance of the blue lilly :)

The Lotus seed embryo (plumule) has the highest concentration of alkaloids of any part of the plant.

When burned the smell and taste can be mistaken for O. and they are sometimes used as an adulterant or imitation of it. Psychoactivity is similar to O. although weaker.

Mmmm,I've found a new friend!

Well,the first dose effects of the wine method were definitely noticable,but very hard to label.

Two days into trialling and the feelings were becoming more of a tangible and recognisable trait.

On the third consecutive day,one blue lilly flower was swapped from one home-brew to the next and the next.A smoking mix with lilly was also consumed on this day,and voices started to come through.Not a foreign voice,but the same 'in-talk' voice that's always there,only much more calm,loving,caring and...I guess proud would be the word,although all faculties were unhindered,compared to consuming 3 long-necks by themselves.

The dreamscape is obviously more profound and helpful than before,though,I'm not remembering them at all,but feel well rested and energised as opposed to the drowned out awakening alcohol seems to bless me with

Might throw some calea into the mix to see if she'll synergise with her too.

I'll keep posting as more comes to light :)

Also,Torsten,does yor product have any seeds in the flower head,or are they just the tips of the stamens loose in the bag?

I recently sent Torsten copies of my two Lily papers from ER to put up on this site.

'The Land of the Lotus Smokers' is from 2001 and 'Lily and Lotus' was published in 2002.

They should be viewable soon.

i don't have my chem additives book handy so could anyone tell me what preservertive 220 is?

thanx

Yep..destroys VitaminB1,E in flour,causes gastric irritation,can precipitate asthma and not much good for drinkers

Sulphites are 220-228.

[ 22. February 2004, 16:33: Message edited by: mescalito ]

Gday all, dug this nice thread up rather than start a new one. I have a new favourite plant, all the others are whining and moaning behind my back as I'm spending so much time with this new lady.

These found me while I was bumbling about some low lying cow country recently... never fails to make me smile how the plants i check prices and sizes for one week usually turn up for nothing but a good walk in the sunshine a week later.I think it's the lighter coloured form of N. capensis the Cape Waterlily, just from their googleology anyway and the fact that the part of the world I found it is crawling with South Africans :P Suggestions welcome as always. I didn't get any piccies of flowers in their natural possie, but they have a habit of flowering say 20cm or so above the water on a stalk rather than floating around the surface.

I've only tried just enough of these things before to make me want more, then the gratfully donated bag ran out (the gods and their senses of humour at work) but I have never had much to do with fresh plants before..these are gorgeous little things, for something that grows in mucky shit filled watering holes, one of those smells I could smell all day but somehow a brief nip of it now and then is enough. Stamens snipped and slowly air dried out of direct light (doesn't take long.. maybe a day, and even then it was fairly humid weather) and put into a jar seem to smell more strongly and sweetly every time I open their little jar, which is fast becoming one of my favourite pasttimes. Not enough on hand to go playing with beverages but any attempts at smoking them has been incredibly rewarding in subtle ways. It's like a soothing, cool but in no way icey hand giving you a cellular massage for a brief while, fading into a gentle... nothingness. Not an absence just a temporary lack of presence. Things come into your mind, you play with them, they wander off. Things are seen, appreciated for their just-so-ness and left to their own devices. They make me quite immobile sometimes, but if I have to get up and do something, I am entirely capable and competent much to my surprise. They hit quite a few of the same buttons as a lovely but long-ago lady plant I used to know, but with none of the generalised bitchiness and roughness of that well-abused plantstitute. Reports indicate that the nature of the experience changes with repeated use, something I look forward to investigating :lol:

So, on another adventure up the creek, I bit the bullet or sucked the mud and grubbed up a lovely plant with a good amount of roots , quite a few unopened buds and about half a dozen large leaves and have given it a probably temporary home in this luxurious little abode. I removed any browning or scabby parts, now wondering if I should remove larger leaves (more bubby ones currently unfolding) or the unopen flower pods to give the roots a chance to settle into their new conditions? They are currently planted into a nice rich but open mix of lush soil with a heap of added OM, some coarse sand and coco peat (performs well when wet so it made sense to me) a a few larger stones for anchorage, the pot is a 180mm tall pot standing on a piece of wood about the thickness of a brick, so the roots arent stuck right at the bottom if they decide to leave the pot which they surely will. The tub is filled with slightly aged rainwater with a tiny dash of kelp mix and a few drops of pyrethrum to knock any wrigglers living on the plant on the head. It isn't in direct sun at the moment but near enough to it, and has had a few drops of rain in the last couple nights.

I know bugger all about these plants, any tips you have are much appreciated! I know I want a lightproof tub, it's all that was on hand at the time. Also wondering how a couple of goldfish would help the setup... I know I probably cant pyrethrum the fish but I assume they'd eat the wrigglers etc. Was planning on changing about a third of the water every week or so depending on grubbiness n growth, the ponds they were in are quite mucky and reasonably still, certainly no "flow" beyond spring action and the odd bit of rain.Anyone growing these things in anything other than a dam?

VM

post-1110-1199327242_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1199327364_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1199327437_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1199327475_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1199327512_thumb.jpg

I have what I believe is Nymphaea 'Marliac Carnea' anyone tested the activity of hybrids stamens are bitter and also have an astringent taste too them...is this normal for fresh lily??

web_mcarnea.jpg

asdf

Edited by Teljkon

Conan: What you have appears to be a Nelumbo and not a Nymphaea. Nelumbo has the rounded flower petals while Nymphaea usually has pointed ones. If the seed pod looks like an inverted shower head, it's Nelumbo.

Alkaloidal tastes are normal for both Nymphaea and Nelumbo, and many species and hybrids have not yet been bioassayed.

Most Nymphaea species I am familiar with and which have been bio-assayed, turned out to be active to varying degrees. :drool2: