The Corroboree
Horus

My Ethno Garden

edited

Edited by colhawk

awesome garden! we need more lurkers like you :P

You legend...I love the Caapi I am training one around an old Acer trunk at the moment ...dude you rock...how old are those Madenii...?

H.

Well! Thanks for your compliments.

Hunab,the Madenii are 5yrs old and have not flowered yet.

Wow that is a sweet garden and some awesome stained glass! Great work. I had no idea khat could get that big, and the caapi is just beautiful!

true... lovely garden thanks for sharing with us

that green house looks like a very peaceful place to sit and reflect, or read :)

Hey col ,

very amazing and beautiful garden you have for yourself there ,always good to see another central coastilian floating round on the boards hopefully we'll get to chat if you end up going to the meet in january

Those Psychotria seedlings are coming along great. I'm assuming you got tired of rooting the leaves and decided to plant some seed off of your own plants? I know I was amazed at the amount of seed a single Psychotria could put out in a very short period of time. Which species are those by the way? I've only grown a few species myself, but I've never been able to tell much of a difference with some of them other than by looking at the underside of the leaves. Very nice garden. Your making me wish I didn't move around so much. I'm guessing your cappi vines are also around 2-3 years of age, but that depends of course on your climate. Mine were grown outdoors much as yours, but I had to contend with them freezing back many years. What can I say, you've got one nice garden. Don't think the Brugmansia escaped me either. I love em all. I especially like the fact that you have a nice bit of diversity in your garden. Keep it up and ask your girlfriend for a camera for your birth day!

Totally awesome!!! Thanks for sharing! You're welcome to post more - I suppose you don't have any ones from the earlier years, as the garden was growing to become what we see now??

Thanks again for your kind replies all.

To answer your questions,

Alas Mutant, the pictures of my garden growing are on my previous girlfriends camera.....not available im afraid.

And Inyan, the Psychotria are Carthaginensis unfortunately. Not much brewing potential apparently.

The shonky operator who sold it to me said it was viridis.

Identity was confirmed by the wise souls on this forum.

I do have some real ones from SAB mail order coming along nicely in the hothouse.

The Carth seeds like crazy and those little buggers just come up everywhere.

Isn't it a shame that Viridis don't grow as profusely as its cousin the Carth!

post-337-1230608955_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for your kind replies all.

To answer your questions,

Alas Mutant, the pictures of my garden growing are on my previous girlfriends camera.....not available im afraid.

And Inyan, the Psychotria are Carthaginensis unfortunately. Not much brewing potential apparently.

The shonky operator who sold it to me said it was viridis.

Identity was confirmed by the wise souls on this forum.

I do have some real ones from SAB mail order coming along nicely in the hothouse.

The Carth seeds like crazy and those little buggers just come up everywhere.

Isn't it a shame that Viridis don't grow as profusely as its cousin the Carth!

http://users.lycaeum.org/~mulga/images/psych4.jpg

The above picture is a good explanation of how to identify viridis. Its the only way I can tell the them apart to be honest. That and by actually growing them. P. viridis grows extremely slow in comparison.

http://www.biopark.org/chacruna.html

P. alba grows much faster than P. viridis of course and for what its worth, I've seen some reputable suppliers give out the wrong species so please give this "shonky operator" some slack. Most professional places are eager to make sure what they are giving out is indeed what their suppliers have told them it is. I know of an old Brugmansia enthusiast who used to sell many species of Psychotria and Lee and Alan eventually found out that one of their specimens was incorrectly labeled as well. Give the place a chance to make it right. If it is a private individual or an organization, I'm sure either way that they are steamed to find out that they are being given the wrong material for resale. The different Psychotria species apparently interbreed very easily as reported by others. Sorry, I haven't grown up any hybrid seed myself from these mixtures myself. However, if I were to hybridize with Psychotria, I'd do so with viridis and alba in an attempts of getting faster growth while still looking for those classic barbs in my seedlings. (P. alba x P. viridis) x P. viridis

Sorry, I ramble a bit...

Your pictures are very nice and many thanks for sharing them with us. It's been too many years since I've grown the Psychotria species of any sort so what knowledge I once had is a bit shoddy at best now with those species.

Man !! i so wanna sit in one of those cushie chairs in your hot house and have a beer with ya !!! :wub:

hey, good to see you again mr caapi, long time no c!

or, did you just hang out at the mushroom section of this forum? no offence shroom people.... :wub:

nice to have you back. :wink:

Edited by planthelper

:worship: wonderful garden ! I am in awe ...

It's always reconforting to watch such pictures, knowing that those seeds and cuttings find good homes.

Inyan, for identifying P.Viridis, i found that the base of the leaf is a good indicator and the undulated margins of Carthaginensis and Alba too, here is a link about that:

http://www.southamericanspecials.com/produ...;products_id=89

Psychotria Viridis is slooowww indeed :wink: but what a character ! It is true that the majority of the sellers are selling Alba for Viridis, especialy on ebay.

Edited by mauve