The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PD.

T bridgesii variagata.

seed was put down on 28.5.06. This seedling in particular stalled for some time and when growth started again this is what she did. :D I just had to show it off.

img0417st8.jpg

That's cool. Do you think it's caused by the environment or genetics?

sick as never seen it look like that :) take good care of her:)

my precious.. i must have my precious

watch out PD

Noice.. How's the spine length compared to others in the same batch?

I've inherited faslimy's one. I'll post pics later in the season :D

Do you think it's caused by the environment or genetics?

I have absolutely no idea yeti101.

How's the spine length compared to others in the same batch?

Yeh they are a lil shorter than most but she is only small so could go any way. Dont tease us bit, show us ya pics now please mate, NOWWWWWWW. :)

Bugger me that looks awesome! :drool2: Hope she maintains the verigation and does the rounds in the future. I'll express my interest up front :wink::lol: Seems it all happens down there in Bridgesii Valley eh PD :P

Great specimen :)

Yeh they are a lil shorter than most but she is only small so could go any way. Dont tease us bit, show us ya pics now please mate, NOWWWWWWW. :)

Yeah, the reason I ask is that this one has the crazy longest spines of all my cacti. I don't have any pics at the moment as I've only had it a couple of weeks :) Hanging out to see if the new growth will varigate as it does seem to have stopped.

Do you think it's caused by the environment or genetics?

id put my 10beans on genetics.

id like to hear teos thoughts on what impact variagation could have on the plants alkaloids.

particularly if u think that mesc production COULD be for protection against predation and the like.

if so, mesc production could be a lot higher in variegated plants if u subscribe to that theory.

always assumed,verigation equals less chlorophyll equals less/slower metabolism equals less alkaloids..........but incos comment seems reasonable too!

t s t .

damn thats pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

be careful though, the more yellow the easier it is for them to rot and get various other ailments....variegation is a blessing and a curse.

Interesting. So is there any evidence to suggest that variegation increases or decreases alkaloid content of cactii?

particularly if u think that mesc production COULD be for protection against predation and the like.

if so, mesc production could be a lot higher in variegated plants if u subscribe to that theory.

Why so?

well im thinking they would be more open to predation from insects i.e they stick out like dogs balls and are more prone to damage from sun and other environmental conditions. i find variegation in cacti to be more of a weakness.. just my own theorys from my own experience, im more than likely wrong.

Photo curtesy faslimy.... this is the one I have interited :)

var1it7.jpg

Some serious masterbation material in this thread if you're as sad as me... :drool2:

Bit, that bridgie looks fantastic - I love the marble effect in the verigation. Between the two there looks to be some seriously awesome bridgesii genetics in the community! :o

Here's a gentle nudge for you two to start some serious propagation :wink:

Yeh thats tha stuff bit :D.

Is it much bigger than that now?

Can see a lil bit of variegation comin thru on the main column also.:)

i have a cutting of a variegated t. peru, it is a center cut and the new pups show almost no variegation. :(

i have a cutting of a variegated t. peru, it is a center cut and the new pups show almost no variegation.

Thats the thing about verigation - some pups can be completely verigated, others can show none. With time I'd think it would come back into the pups - especially if it is a genetic mutation and not an environmental one. Give it a year or so and there should be signs :)