Crataegus pinnatifida ~ "Shan Zha"

Full Sun-

Zea spp. ~ "Maize"

Partial Sun/Shade-

Ficus ~ "Fig"

Full Shade-

Amelanchier alnifolia ~ "ServiceBerry" or "Juneberry"

Possibles-

Inga edulis ~ "Ice Cream Bean" (Could I grow this outdoors?)

Acca sellowiana ~ "Feijoa" or "Guavasteen"

Non-Fruit In Climate Edibles-

Bamboo

Green House or Partial Season Indoors Cultivation-

Garcinia mangostana ~ "Mangosteen"

Hylocereus spp. ~ "Dragonfruit"

Synsepalum dulcificum ~ "Miracle Fruit"

Durio spp. ~ "Durian"

Theobroma cacao ~ "Chocolate"

Coffea arabica ~ "Coffee"

Morinda citrifolia ~ "Noni"

Euterpe spp. ~ "Acai"

Annona cherimola ~ "Cherimoya"

Capsicum spp. ~ "Chili Pepper

Greenhouse Year Round-

Container Garden/Partial Season-

I basically want to grow the best fruits with the most nutrients and vitamins... can anybody think of any other super fruits?

*Please correct me if anything is wrong!*

Edited by Teotz'

here is a list what i would recommand to you teotz:

hylocereus spp; pitaya, dragonfruit. very yummy fruit with health benefits, which grows on a succulent. stunning flowers.

garcinia mangostana, mangosteen, the best tasting fruit in the world, seedlings produce true to type fruit, trees in glasshouses will fruit, very rare tree, very expensive fruit.

Cyphomandra betacea, tamarillo, tree tomato. easy cutting or grown from supermarket fruit, show off plant you will be envied for. take skin off fruits with hot water (blanching) than slice and sprinkle with a lil sugar and put into the fridge, eat next day, super yummy fruit, with rich deep red syrup!

physalis peruviana, tomatillo, cape goosberry, no fuzz plant, grows for a few years.

actindica chinensis, kiwi fruit, grow your own from seeds taken out of supermarket fruits!! after a few years they will flower and you can sex them, needs cold winters.

There are a few South American Solanums that seem more than mundane,Naranjillo was it?

Never see them among the king edwards.

Will be looking into them myself for next year,giving upon tomatoes as i don't enjoy them.

Fruit I want to grow-

Goji Berry

Service Berry

BlueBerry

Cranberry

Sea BuckThorn

Inga edulis ~ Ice cream beans

I basically want to grow the best fruits with the most nutrients and vitamins... can anybody think of any other super fruits?

*edits soon! I gotta go to work!*

How are those ethnobotanicals?

Teotz, ever consider the Echinocereus species that are grown for their strawberryish flavored fruit? Several of those species should grow in your area if you could keep them relatively dry all winter.

Theres no chance of mangosteen growing in his climate unless he has a very impressive greenhouse, I doubt fresh seed could even be found due to the bans on mangosteen.

Also, P. peruviana isnt the same as tomatillo. In the US P. ixocarpa and similar are tomatillos. Great chopped up and put in chilli with peppers and onions, mmm... but not a fruit. P. peruviana should grow nicely and yield fruit in his climate but not survive winter

Because they are used by humans. An ethnobotanical is any botanical used by any group of humans for anything whatsoever. Edited by Auxin

y-t told me eleagnus triflora ,oz native,was a bush food.

we found a couple and they were quite tasty with a possible edge of psychoactivity.

5 or so might be interesting?

t s t .

Inga edulis ~ Ice cream beans

This plant doesn't yield very much.

It is only the pith around the seeds which are edible. The pith is tasty but there isn't much of it.

On the plus side, this plant fixes nitrogen and grows wuickly.

Wow, thanks for all the post guys!

Y'all gave me just what I was lookin' for!

garcinia mangostana, mangosteen, the best tasting fruit in the world, seedlings produce true to type fruit, trees in glasshouses will fruit, very rare tree, very expensive fruit.

Oh, I've heard of it... read "The Fruit Hunters" by Adam L. Gollner

Because they are used by humans. An ethnobotanical is any botanical used by any group of humans for anything whatsoever.

Thank you Auxin.

Ethnobotanicals = Any botanical people utilize.

Entheogen = Botanicals which "generates God within", basically a psychotive botanical.

Teotz, ever consider the Echinocereus species that are grown for their strawberryish flavored fruit? Several of those species should grow in your area if you could keep them relatively dry all winter.

Sounds like a great idea! Which one would you suggest?

I doubt fresh seed could even be found due to the bans on mangosteen.

:ana:

Edited by Teotz'

I was also thinking about Prickly Pear...

Any of these fuckers breed to not have those DAMN glochids? Perhaps you can't tell, but I HATE glochids!!

I was also thinkin' about Annona cherimola ~ "Cherimoya"... and if it would be possible to cultivate it as a container plant...

The tree thrives throughout the tropics at altitudes of 1300-2600m (4,000-8,500feet). The name derives from Quechua chirimuya, meaning 'cold seeds', since the seeds will germinate at higher altitudes. Though sensitive to frost, it must have periods of cool temperatures or the tree will gradually go dormant. The indigenous inhabitants of the Andes say that although the cherimoya cannot stand snow, it does like to see it in the distance.

Cherimoya Fruit

Mulberry- Unripe fruit and green parts of the plant have a white sap that is intoxicating and mildly hallucinogenic.

Really?

Oh, and Auxin we forgot one of our favorite fruits... Chili Peppers! Capsicum spp. ~ "Chili Pepper" Chili Pepper!!!

Edited by Teotz'

as ramon said, forget the ice cream bean, it just has a good sounding name which makes our imagination go wild, but this tree is very, very common in some parts of oz, and most of us never eat it.

the prickly pear has some, better cultivars, where the cactus has no spines, but the fruits are still covered in glochids, so again grows everywhere, but nobody eats them, but they are tasty!

other fruits i love are:

rubus spp. rasberry, different strains with different chilling requirement are available.

acca sellowiana, feijoa, nice compact bush, stunning flowers, much better than guava.

mangifera indica, mango, tropical tree, needs dry winters (takes down to 0 deg C) for fruit set, polyembryonic seeds ( open seed with knife, be very carefull, if several embryos are in the seedhusk take them out and plant individually. if only one embryo seedling will vary enormously, so discard)will produce true to type!

growing your own from seed, is far more rewarding than buying from the shelve!!

:wub: red papaya, if you can grow it, try it.

also if you try to grow the passion fruit try some of the other varieties, can be very tasty.

feijoa's are delicious, i love the texture. lots of people have trees in their gardens in melbourne but they either dont like the fruit or dont know its edible so there's always an abundance during the season - youve just got to beat the possums to them. i find that its my nose that usually leads me to them.

Sounds nice.

Anybody got anymore tips? Edible botanicals that would grow in my climate?

arbutus[sp?], false strawberry,more a famine food than desirable but said to course a mild intoxication in larger amounts.

t s t .

my blueberry bush is flowering! yay!

arbutus[sp?], false strawberry,more a famine food than desirable but said to course a mild intoxication in larger amounts.

LOL! What's with you and intoxicating fruit? I'm just tryin' to eat man!

my blueberry bush is flowering! yay!

Sweet, how big is it?

Jackfruit?

Not in my climate... it's tropical right?

arbutus unedo, strawberry tree, well it's a very nice smallish tree, and i saw it planted as a street tree in parts of london.

it second name unedo (once), though as often is a hint, and in this case it means the fruits taste so bad, you will only eat one, lol. this might well go hand in hand with tst statment, because we know that there are practicaly no "pleasant tasting" psychoactive plants.

there are basicly two families of blueberries, the north american (large fruit) and the european (small, but much better tasting). only the large fruit varieties get planted commercially. if growing them, allways make sure to plant suitable pollinator plants.

citrus limon, lemon tree, is very handy to have aswell, and the flowers have a devine fragrance.

growing citrus from seed means that, you have to wait a long time for your plant to flower, and that all wood will be covered with nasty spines, however, grapefruit seeds very often flower very early. i grew once a grapefruit by seed, which flowered after it's 3rd leaf!!

Agreed! The best tasting fruit in the world. I think aroudn $13 a kilo here...it was <$2 a kilo in Thailand...mmmmm.

How can I get one?

Maybe I can grow Acca sellowiana?! Guavasteen?!

http://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/jc...6_e-update.html

http://members.tripod.com/~Hatch_L/acca0219.html

I'm thinking bamboo too!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/as...1920376027.html

Edited by Teotz'

I've began planting some bamboo on my land... I can't wait to eat some!