The Corroboree
ballzac

Bag searches in shops.

Duuuude maybe I'll do it and post it on youtube! That sounds GREAT!

Just don't do it in a sex shop. They'll accuse you of stealing the dildos.

Another phrase I need to remember is "Am I being detained?" because they will often stand in front of you, so that it is impossible to leave without physically touching them, which would surely be considered assault, and cause problems for you. Asking if your being detained, forces them to tell you that you are free to go (although you might have to ask several times to get a straight answer).

Just don't do it in a sex shop. They'll accuse you of stealing the dildos.

HAHAHA, good ol' Ball Sack...

I know this is thread hijacking a little, but i think its relevant.

What actual rights do the cops in Australia have to perform a search on you (pockets, bags and stuff) and on your car?

Should i keep a couple of dildo's in my bag and a butt plug in the glovebox and just hope they don"t look any further?

Hillbilly

I know this is thread hijacking a little, but i think its relevant.

What actual rights do the cops in Australia have to perform a search on you (pockets, bags and stuff) and on your car?

Should i keep a couple of dildo's in my bag and a butt plug in the glovebox and just hope they don"t look any further?

Hillbilly

Not hijacking at all. I started this thread for that kind of discussion. Although It wasn't primarily for the discussion of guerilla dildo attacks. :lol:

I believe they can do anything but a cavity search without a court order. A strip search must be done in a private place. I think all searches must be performed by a member of the same sex (but I could be wrong [actually it probably doesn't include searching your car or belongings]). Cavity searches must be performed by a doctor.

searching bags to me is no different than if a security guard asked me to take my clothes off so he can search me. So while I see the problem retailers have, they simply don't have a right to invade my privacy. I was banned from several places in sydney. After a couple of weeks they don't remember you so it is completely ineffectual.

If they wantt o protect their goods then they should install more cameras. That's the way to catch the thieves. Bag inspections don't do anything. I mean, I've never heard of anyone getting busted from a bag search.

I once saw someone nick somethng in a friend's store. I told the manager and he said that if he acts on my advice he has to be 100% certain I got it right and that the thief had no opportunity to put the goods back. I assured him and he made a citizen's arrest. Luckily I was right. But yeah, staff needs to be 100% sure that you have stolen stuff or they risk gettign sued.

searching bags to me is no different than if a security guard asked me to take my clothes off so he can search me. So while I see the problem retailers have, they simply don't have a right to invade my privacy. I was banned from several places in sydney. After a couple of weeks they don't remember you so it is completely ineffectual.

If they wantt o protect their goods then they should install more cameras. That's the way to catch the thieves. Bag inspections don't do anything. I mean, I've never heard of anyone getting busted from a bag search.

I once saw someone nick somethng in a friend's store. I told the manager and he said that if he acts on my advice he has to be 100% certain I got it right and that the thief had no opportunity to put the goods back. I assured him and he made a citizen's arrest. Luckily I was right. But yeah, staff needs to be 100% sure that you have stolen stuff or they risk gettign sued.

Coles who I also believe own Dan Murphys will not you leave bags behind the counter before entering in most cases... :rolleyes:

searching bags to me is no different than if a security guard asked me to take my clothes off so he can search me

Pfffft, if a security guard asked you to get naked im sure youd oblige T, i bet youd even do a lil dance for him whilst you were at it.

i have no problem showing my bags at all? i mean i have nothing to hide. its not hat big a hassle, i usually offer mine before they ask.

why make life hard and embarress the shit out of some kid or other minimum wage earner?

i will leave it to the egotistical and the theives.

Not them bags incognito.

LOL!! :lol: u know me far to well passive. i get away with nothing here.

Edited by incognito

I think that classes as an arrest. You don't have to be told " you are under arrest" to be arrested just given the impression that you can't leave.

Another phrase I need to remember is "Am I being detained?" because they will often stand in front of you, so that it is impossible to leave without physically touching them, which would surely be considered assault, and cause problems for you. Asking if your being detained, forces them to tell you that you are free to go (although you might have to ask several times to get a straight answer).

i have no problem showing my bags at all? i mean i have nothing to hide. its not hat big a hassle, i usually offer mine before they ask.

so you have no problem with strangers looking at your internet traffic, reading your private mail, checking your pockets? I don't see the difference. Especially when you compare it to pockets or handbags for example. I mean, these are pretty personal spaces. I often have a little backpack with me when I am out on the town to keep all my papers and personal stuff in. These things are just as personal as what I keep in my pockets.

And it is hardly my fault that some kid at the counter gets spun out. Maybe it will force him to have a think about personal rights and freedoms before he grows up to be a submissive drone. Like I said, if retailers want to catch thieves they should install more cameras or use hidden magnetic security strips.

I was banned from several places in sydney. After a couple of weeks they don't remember you so it is completely ineffectual.

But if I go back and they do remember me, am I commiting the crime of trespassing? Or is this 'ban' completely meaningless and legally invalid.

Coles who I also believe own Dan Murphys will not you leave bags behind the counter before entering in most cases... :rolleyes:

Did you mean they will? If so, this is irrelevant. It means that I have to trust them completely with my belongings, and trust that my privacy will be protected at all times. As these place seem to think it is okay to go through my belongings without reason, I don't like the idea of leaving my stuff with them.

It is the stores that have created this atmosphere where everything is close at hand, not for the convenience of the customers, but because if we see lots of stuff and it is in reach, we may be tempted and buy more than we intended. Fifty years ago shops weren't like that. They have created this system for their own benefit, and now they are treating every customer as under suspicion because of the way they have organised it. It's funny though...even though organic supermarkets have much more expensive murchandise, and should be more worried about theft, they have never been interested in what I have in my bag. I wonder if it's more an attitude thing than anything else. I would say the same about markets. Because I don't drive, and also because I don't like wasting plastic bags, I take my backpack everywhere I go. I don't remember ever being asked to show them what was in my bag when I paid for my goods at a market stall, even the ones that sell alcohol.

...even though organic supermarkets have much more expensive murchandise, and should be more worried about theft, they have never been interested in what I have in my bag.

Noticed the same thing, my local organic mart doesn't have a single camera ethier!

Edited by Teotz'

each to their own i guess.

but i really think u should stay away from shops displaying a sign that personal bags must be checked at checkout, unless u really regal in being a public nuisance (pain in the ass), and really, sucked in if u get in the shit. its not like they sift through ur bag reaing everything in detail, i would agree if they started foraging around, but in my experience its just a really quick peak.

in my experience its just a really quick peak.

Read, "Pointless facade"

i really think u should stay away from shops displaying a sign that personal bags must be checked at checkout, unless u really regal in being a public nuisance (pain in the ass), and really, sucked in if u get in the shit.

That's a lot of shops that I'd have to stay away from just to keep the privacy that I am legally entitled to. It's not about being a public nuisance. It's about having rights, and being entitled to exercise those rights. What do you mean "sucked in if you get in the shit"? Legally there's nothing that can happen to me for exercising my rights. If you mean sucked in if the security guard plants evidence on me or assaults me when no witnesses are around, or in some way deprives me of my rights, then shame on you.

My girl and I were in a shop and she ripped her dress on a sharp piece of metal that was sticking out. As we were leaving the shop my girl mentioned this to the sales assistant and got response of 'Oh well.' Then the assistant asked if she could look in my bag I let her, she then went to reach into my bag at which point I closed it. She said she had to move stuff to make sure nothing was underneath. I told her 'Oh well' and that she could look but not touch and walked off. We had walked about 10m when this gangly boy with mismatched thongs and luminious surf clothing came up to us and said 'Sir, you need to let me look in your bag'. My girl said 'You need to buy me new dress' and we walked away. He followed us for a bit telling me that he could call the cops, we just ignored him and kept walking and he eventually went away.

Also once when I walked into a shop, one with those electronic sensors you have to walk through, and the alarm went off. I thought nothing of it and walked around the shop. When I left alarm sounded again and a security guard came up to me and said that she had seen me come in and set the alarm off. She then said I had to come with her so she could search my bag for what had set the alarm off. I said that the alarm went off when I came in and that I hadn't even touched anything in that shop. She said she knew that cause she had been watching me, but I still had to come with her because she wanted to know what had set the alarm off. I said I didn't have time to quell her curiosity and I had to get home. She tried to convince me to go with her but I told her that I was leaving and left. I went into other shops with those sensors and no alarm so theirs must be faulty.

She was quite keen to look through my stuff, even though she had said she knew I hadn't stolen anything.

Abuse of power?

Edited by salem13

My girl and I were in a shop and she ripped her dress on a sharp piece of metal that was sticking out. As we were leaving the shop my girl mentioned this to the sales assistant and got response of 'Oh well.' Then the assistant asked if she could look in my bag I let her, she then went to reach into my bag at which point I closed it. She said she had to move stuff to make sure nothing was underneath. I told her 'Oh well' and that she could look but not touch and walked off. We had walked about 10m when this gangly boy with mismatched thongs and luminious surf clothing came up to us and said 'Sir, you need to let me look in your bag'. My girl said 'You need to buy me new dress' and we walked away. He followed us for a bit telling me that he could call the cops, we just ignored him and kept walking and he eventually went away.

Also once when I walked into a shop, one with those electronic sensors you have to walk through, and the alarm went off. I thought nothing of it and walked around the shop. When I left alarm sounded again and a security guard came up to me and said that she had seen me come in and set the alarm off. She then said I had to come with her so she could search my bag for what had set the alarm off. I said that the alarm went off when I came in and that I hadn't even touched anything in that shop. She said she knew that cause she had been watching me, but I still had to come with her because she wanted to know what had set the alarm off. I said I didn't have time to quell her curiosity and I had to get home. She tried to convince me to go with her but I told her that I was leaving and left. I went into other shops with those sensors and no alarm so theirs must be faulty.

She was quite keen to look through my stuff, even though she had said she knew I hadn't stolen anything.

Abuse of power?

“The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.”

Pfffft, if a security guard asked you to get naked im sure youd oblige T, i bet youd even do a lil dance for him whilst you were at it.

Depends on how big his baton is :o

I always tell people to call the cops. Security guards can't do shit to me if they have a porblem they can call the cops.

damn staight mark.