The Corroboree
PD.

One year on.......

I started a lil patch in the garden around January last year, just a few odds and ends i had sitting around. It came to Febuary 15 and i took a pic.

post-1464-1203037696_thumb.jpg

It has been one year to the day since the last pic was taken, here is todays pic, what a difference one year makes.

post-1464-1203037754_thumb.jpg

There is a few extra plants in behind the original planting all of which were unhealthy/stalled when i put them in the ground. The "super pedro" tip in the rear of the garden at the top of the pic was a sickly yellow when it was put in but has remedied itself and is looking healthy again although it did take some time.

Initially i was not going to put any plants in the ground here as we are renting but the speed of growth makes it worthwhile, not only that, they look after themselves a hell of alot better and need alot less water.

I have now found somewhere permanant i can put most of my plants so its in they go. :)

Get em in tha ground :D

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

Looks great PD. I still have all of mine in pots :( with the exception of a rampant nutty Caapi that just wants to take over my backyard and next doors :)

Do you think you get much more growth in the groud PD ? It just looks so much better hmmm.

nice one man you are an inspriation

Yeh better growth in ground for sure Hellonasty, I dont use ferts as much as i prolly should on my potted plants and the ones pictured have not had one feed at all, just the goodness from the soil. Obviously in ground the roots arent restricted so they can reach out and find nutes if they need and go deeper for moisture resulting in faster growth with alot less care.

Gorgeous garden Passive!! Some fantastic growth over the year too B) Imagine 5 years down the track!! I think this thread will be the clincher in all my future cuttings going straight into the earth. Only thing to be careful of with planting in the earth is using frost sensitive plants in frost-prone areas (something I have to watch out for :(). Otherwise, there should be no real restrictions on getting em in there!

Congratulations on the patch there Passive, nice work. :wink:

All that growth in one year... How i wish i had a backyard... And it has such a beautiful aesthetic. Would love to just wake up, make a good pot of tea, and sit next to those for an hour in the morning. :)

and sit next to those for an hour in the morning. :)

Aya - wish i had an hour in the morning to sit ANYWHERE other than work... grin.

Passive - is that a psycho0 cut in the middle back section of the second pic? and to the back left of the pic as well? From the colour it looks like it? Nice patch... another year and it'll be even more speccy...

I've got a few pachs that are in small pots sitting around doing not much, so i've a mind to do something similar now (cheers for the idea) - def a cool looking area there... amazing how good these guys look clumped together and how little care they require to look that way :)

Passive - is that a psycho0 cut in the middle back section of the second pic? and to the back left of the pic as well?

Yep, a mid cut and a tip, those 2 and the others in the back section were planted in late spring last year. Like i mentioned those ones had either stalled or were just unhealthy in general, put them in the ground and problem solved.

you have convinced me to make another bed in my garden, just for cacti. your pics really are inspiring! thats fricking unreal growth! well done!!!

Nice one PD... in the ground is great i think plants appreciate being hooked into the Gaian network so to speak. It's amazing how putting plants in the ground can change the resonance of a place, drawing the spirit from the earth. But plants in pots can be kept a bit healthier (greener, plumper etc.), sheltered and well watered, which can be advantageous.

Excellent growth, and still with an autumn flush to come!

Sweet garden dude. Can't wait for another year's update ;)

Gorgeous garden Passive!! Some fantastic growth over the year too B) Imagine 5 years down the track!! I think this thread will be the clincher in all my future cuttings going straight into the earth. Only thing to be careful of with planting in the earth is using frost sensitive plants in frost-prone areas (something I have to watch out for :(). Otherwise, there should be no real restrictions on getting em in there!

Nice one Passive, :)

I've heard about the success of cacti in the ground before but didn't want to start putting things in the ground due to frost. might just give it a shot.

Ace have you got anything in the ground?

maybe you could give us an update photo passive? please :lol:

Ace have you got anything in the ground?

Had a pair of T. pachanoi columns in the earth before moving house. They put on almost twice as much new growth as their pot-bound clone-brothers (roughly around 25cm worth of new growth in pots, closer to around 40cms in-ground - talking per column too, not per entire plant). It really does make a massive difference when they're given free run of the soil. Plus it means a lot less watering because they aren't in tiny pots that dry out constantly. I'm going to do a big ground-planting at the beginning of September (once the frosts are on their way out) with all my larger plants (mostly trichs - should come up a treat!). I can only hope they will like the soil (I CBF'ed testing it or anything - if its good enough for weeds its good enough for hardy cacti IMO!) and that the weeds arent too much of an issue amongst the prickly cacti (the bed is already decked out with weeds since creating it a couple months back).

I'll try to do a yearly photo update like Passive has - its great to show others what can be achieved with five minutes of hole digging/planting. Plus its a good reason to show off my collection :P

here's a few shots of my bed I planted this year.

about 1 plant per 2 square feet.

this bed is280 sq ft.,so I will end up with about 140 plants in the ground.

Eileen and Mum n Dad are in there somewhere representing Australia.

I had PsycoO and super Pedro cuts also,but unfortunaly,they perished last winter during a cold spell in my shed

Something very cool happens when you plug these plants into the ground where they belong.The first year they put out huge root systems and lot's of pups.Grabbing territory

Almost every plant is base pupping like crazy.

A little harvesting of seed grown pach and peru in the chair

post-257-1218891981_thumb.jpg

post-257-1218892028_thumb.jpg

post-257-1218892090_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osprey

WHOA! that is THE most awesome thing i've seen all week! if you don't mind me asking Osprey what state are you growing all those in? please update us as you put more in!

anyone else got pics of their cacti patches they'd like to throw up?