The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
blangschpeer

My first loph fruit!

Well, it's been a long wait but everything's finally come to fruition.

The loph that's fruited is supposed to be a caespitosa but it was self pollinated so I'm thinking it's more likely that it's a regular willie x caespitose. I don't really care though, I'm just happy I finally have a fruity loph :lol:

post-1315-1200973104_thumb.jpg post-1315-1200973300_thumb.jpg

post-1315-1200973104_thumb.jpg

post-1315-1200973300_thumb.jpg

post-1315-1200973104_thumb.jpg

post-1315-1200973300_thumb.jpg

Woot - congrats 'schpeer! Is that her first flower? I am curious as to how many seeds she'll hold being a first fruit, and if they are viable. Let us know how they go. BTW, beautiful lophie!

Cheers ace,

It's not her first flower though, since I've had her she's popped out about 5 flowers but I generally enjoyed them for a few days before trying to pollinate them. this time though I decided to pollinate her the second the flower was open enough to stick a cue tip in there and it paid off :)

When i first got her she was covered in dessicated fruit that had anywhere from 4-15 seeds in the pods, I figured she wasn't fruiting because she needed to be cross pollinated and was missing her other peyotine buddies but I'm happy to say I was wrong there :P

Hmm, that is a great observation about immediate pollination. I will have to try that with my next flowers. Who knows - maybe the pollen dries up too much to fertilise when left for a day or two?

Onya Blangers :lol: I have my fingers crossed for you in germinating them seeds!

DP. Seem to be having a few problems with the site loading today :scratchhead:

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Yeah doesn't matter on the varietas when you can enjoy a nice flower and get seed too!

Nice work Blangs good to see you are becoming self sufficient with the Loph seed, you must be a proud daddy indeed, wish I could say the same. One day *sighs* :lol:

P.S: How was the Bream? :wink:

Yeah doesn't matter on the varietas when you can enjoy a nice flower and get seed too!

Nice work Blangs good to see you are becoming self sufficient with the Loph seed, you must be a proud daddy indeed, wish I could say the same. One day *sighs* :lol:

P.S: How was the Bream? :wink:

I'd have to say that bream was pretty tasty, it fed myself and my girl

post-1315-1201009135_thumb.jpg

you'll have to come to sydney so I can show you my recently discovered spot, only this time the bait is less than $2 and the fish have a health warning against them... :P gotta love sydney! I guess it's more just for the fun of it, less hunter gatherer due to the mercury :lol:

I'm very much the proud daddy, I'm pretty sure my family's sick of hearing about the fruit by now...

My theory on the flower is that the "girly" parts are fairly delicate and need to be attended to as soon as possible, where as the "man" parts are fairly stable so they can be transported to the next flower in need... Screw terminology, I'm drunk!

great cacti! now you just gotta sow them and in a couple years you may just be a little peyote factory!

the flowers will open for several days before closing and dying but if pollinated they will close generally within two days. The plants themselves seem to have an inbuilt method of self pollination if need be. Ive got to look into it more and see if the female or male parts mature first.

How long between flowers and fruit? I think perhaps that is the fruit of your first flower and you will have more fruits coming.

She's Flowering again WOO HOO!!!!!

I got 5 seeds from the fruit that are sitting on some soil as I speak :lol:

great! 1 seed though....yikes. i have had some of those...kind of disappointing. crossing seems to help, and have larger females seems to help as well.

\I think perhaps that is the fruit of your first flower and you will have more fruits coming.

Just checked today and found another fruit and flower bud forming, damn I love this plant!

It's been a few weeks since she flowered before the fruit, I think almost 2 months... Last time she flowered there were 2 flowers at once so I tried swapping pollen between the 2 to see what would happen, and I guess it paid off :)

2 months sounds right for fruit development, can be longer though in some cases.