The Corroboree
Mr. Farrz

What do you look for when visiting botanic gardens?

I was visiting Coffs Harbour botanic gardens yesterday, and was thrilled when the first thing I saw as I walked in was a 10+ metre high brug - What exciting discoveries have you made in a botanic garden? (Particularly ones close to me) ;)

Also high on the list at Coffs was morning glory and Leonotis.

I'd look for Trichocereus if they have cacti...

i always check out what they have growing in their herb gardens, always sure to pik up some funky mint or oregano variety.

u in coffs farzz?

u in coffs farzz?

Nope, grew up there and went back for christmas.

I'm a canberra boy these days

well, you either know all the plants you are looking for or you will discover something new. it certainly helps if you know which ones are interressting and how they look like. the best bet is to visit the herbal or medicinal section if they have one, followed by the cacti section. another good one is to check the south american section closely, often the have caapi and viridis there. if the plants are in alphapetical order, it's easy to check up if they have certain plants.

if you visit a lot of gardens, you will develope after a while a certain 3rd sence which will aid you, i mean often they put there special plants in one area, which is promenantly exposed, or they do the total opposite and hide them.

i have visited many botanical gardens all over the world, and have been told by friends what some other gardens have on display, and the fact is that, from coca to salvia divinorum and hemp, they grow everything, just take ample time to look around!!

Edited by lsdreamz

The only interesting stuff I've managed to come across at the canberra one is a huge amount of different acacias and lots of fungi (no actives sighted yet). I think I've also seen deadly nightshade and other assorted tropane carriers about the place (usually weeds). There is a huge amount of variety from one bot. gdn. to another, so you kind of have to have a mental list of things to keep an eye out for. Its always fun hunting for unusual fungi (even those that are non-edible or magical). There is a lot of different species about, and plenty of different shapes n sizes to look out for :)

In general I look for anything of magical/ethnobotanical interest. Not to swipe and take home, but to learn more about them in the flesh. And its also one of the most inspiring places to sit and chill when you havent got much else on the to-do-list. Such intense variety of species, colours, smells and feelings can be found in each, so dont just stop at looking at plants. Take in every sensory experience that they offer.

Guest Øskorei
Would there be any gardens in the Sydney area like that at all??

The Royal Botanical Gardens has a few ethnos, including the very obvious brugmansias, as well as a calea, and also a catha. Not all of these were in the expected spot either.

I look for the bog tree which has a guy who is selling some weed.....

The Royal Botanical Gardens has a few ethnos, including the very obvious brugmansias, as well as a calea, and also a catha. Not all of these were in the expected spot either.

Calea?! Wow, never saw that one.

RBGSyd also has Heimia (salicifolia, I think), Datura stram. (intentionally planted by the looks), Nelumbo sp., Nymphaea sp., Ephedra major, Nicotiana tabaccum.

At the right time of year, with the right conditions (i.e. rain), the fungal diversity can be huge and its very rewarding walking around with your head down and poking under bushes. Lots of cool species. We did also find a couple of P. subaeruginosa one meet but I'm yet to see another from that site.

Guest Øskorei

Lol, yea, I can't find the Heimia anymore either, aye .... And i wouldn't have recognised the small khat if not for a pointing out, thank you Morg :)

Are you back in Sydney, and working again at the same place ?

What do you look for when visiting botanic gardens?

The toilets.

Everything else I just absorb randomly, but after spending many many hours meandering excitedly it is quite likely that I will need a pee.

I look for everything I can remember. I found 3 examples of a very popular south American shrub, in an off-limits greenhouse area of one of Amsterdam's botanic gardens. I later asked about cuttings and seed in a general sense and was told no way, unless I was an academic institution.

I've also seen peyote in a couple of places in the UK.

Lol, yea, I can't find the Heimia anymore either, aye .... And i wouldn't have recognised the small khat if not for a pointing out, thank you Morg :)

Are you back in Sydney, and working again at the same place ?

That khat gets hammered by the grounds staff several times a year. They hack it right back to a stump and she keeps on going every time.

I'm in the ACT now Oskorei.