The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

pyrethrin damage

Had some hardcore catipillar action on the grafts and we couldnt control them by other means so after doing some searching we decided to use pyrethrin as we couldnt find any info saying not to. So I tried it on a test patch of lophs and peres and no probs so sprayed the rest......catastrophe. Turns out the peres hate it (not so much of a prob to me as they were only small) but the lophs do too. The test patch I sprayed was fine and they were all small willies, some of the larger willies were fine but any other species didnt take it well at all. The trichs went brown.... So yeah dont use pyrethrin.

Edited by teonanacatl

Hey Teo

I've sprayed multicrop 'BugGuard' insect spray straight onto one of my small peres/loph grafts without ill effects (on the plant).

The active constituent is 8.5g/L Potassium salts of fatty acids.

Oh and good luck with the farm.

Sucky :(

:-O it just occurred to me this will be my first winter with pereskiopsis and I almost always get whitefly in winter.

How do they respond to tobacco tea? Due to bad planning before I quit smoking I have a spare cubic meter of tobacco...

no idea Auxin. Apart from all the peres getting fucked up and aslong as no necrosis occurs the plants will just be scared.

"no idea Auxin. Apart from all the peres getting fucked up and aslong as no necrosis occurs the plants will just be scared."

OH NOOOOO!, that crazy bastard with the pyrethrin gun is coming back to finish us off.

Sorry could'nt help myself, that would have to be shroomy worthy.

Damn thats a bugger teo but it might just level the playing field :wink::P , I was almost gonna use pyrethrin on fungas gnats on my peres but not now.

hehe I couldnt for the life of me remember how to spell scarred :P but i know now:P

Whitefly are killed well by tobacco tea, but are quick to return from other parts of the garden.Tiny parisitic wasps are good defense for whitefly so don't use sprays in your garden too much and the wasps should eventually take care of the whitefly. But yeah use tobacco spray on your important plants when necessary. Don't forget a wetting agent like detergent or molasses.

:-O it just occurred to me this will be my first winter with pereskiopsis and I almost always get whitefly in winter.

How do they respond to tobacco tea? Due to bad planning before I quit smoking I have a spare cubic meter of tobacco...

Whitefly are killed well by tobacco tea, but are quick to return from other parts of the garden.
Thankfully in winter that comes down to a 2.5 by 4 meter room for me, if I can get them cleared from that room while packed with plants they cant come back for months due to below freezing temps outside the room :) Still, its not easy to clear those fuckers even from a 2.5 x 4 area since I never use synthetics or systemics or anything really other than soap and tobacco. Cheers on the molasses tip, didnt know it was a adequate surfactant :)

Whilst it probably would'nt work too well outside, I had great success in my glasshouse cheaply and easily controlling whitefly using sticky fly traps.

I can't remember the brand, but they were yellow (which insects are attracted to) and super sticky, nothing was getting off them :)

It didn't get them all, but made a big difference to the overall health of my plants.

Pyrethrum is pretty harsh on all cacti as I found out some 12 months ago. I had a gorgeous little cacti garden in a big bonsai pot which was doing great until a few bugs found it. I decided to go the 'safe' route and just give em a quick hit with pyrethrum and within a couple days almost all died. One or two survived (I think a T. scop and a gymno or something) but the rest didnt like it whatsoever and rotted out to a pile of mess :(

Not sure why cacti are so sensitive to pyrethrum, but it is worth avoiding a combo of the two. Some may be less sensitive, but as a general rule:

Keep pyrethrum the hell away from your prized cacti!

so after doing some searching we decided to use pyrethrin as we couldnt find any info saying not to.

......catastrophe.

Should've checked here first

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...ost&p=85060

Pyrithrium is one of the Safest insecticides to use, unfortunately it will burn Trich's. Most cacti handle it fine but trichocereus develop scar tissue where it has been applied UNLESS it is washed off a few minutes after application. Most san pedro at cactus nurseries around her are completely corked around the base because of greenhouse pyrithrium bombs. Won't burn them if it is washed off ten minutes after application.

I also found an edot post saying the same thing, although in the above thread Rev says he never experienced any burn.

Adam gottliebs Peyote & Psychoactive Cacti says the same thing, one of the most useful pieces of info from the publication.

i google searched SAB and looked at all the posts, didnt search Pyrithrium though i used pyrethrin. Im not sure if they are alternate spelling but I know mine is most commonly used, a good point for people checking their spelling