The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
indigo264nm

Goverment Drug Pamphlets

I think the last time they released these booklets, it was found that it seemed as though all the street names for various drugs were taken from a DEA website

?

I was surprised that I couldn't find any printed references in the booklet for the brunt of the false and/or misleading information...strange that :scratchhead:

surely the millions it cost to to send each australian household this crap would be more meaningfully spent on something like drug treatment programs??...but I guess they can use the excuse it goes against there 'tough on drugs' policy, (althought they support the 'drug diversion program') :wacko:

surely the millions it cost to to send each australian household this crap would be more meaningfully spent on something like drug treatment programs??...but I guess they can use the excuse it goes against there 'tough on drugs' policy, (althought they support the 'drug diversion program') :wacko:

To the government these are just standard cost of election time. Suddenly everyone in power is worried about interest rates, the scourge of drugs, education, etc.

either way it's pretty damn dangerous, if i had a curious child i'd sure as hell want to make sure he knows the difference between datura and mushroom before experimenting

i'm not sure what you're getting at here. the drug is virtually harmless, but two of it's listed synonyms are actually names of a lethal plant found in many home gardens.

either i'm missing something, or i'm a complete fxcking spaz who should not be handing important information out to 20 million people.

i'm not sure what you're getting at here. the drug is virtually harmless, but two of it's listed synonyms are actually names of a lethal plant found in many home gardens.

either i'm missing something, or i'm a complete fxcking spaz who should not be handing important information out to 20 million people.

:lol: ThunderIdeal, I think you have just read ajna's sentence in the wrong way. I think he is saying it is dangerous to have the names mixed up because he doesn't want kids trying Datura thinking they are mushrooms... not that its very likely I guess.

:scratchhead: i think you broke my sarcasm detector TI! ...i'll try again tomorrow :lol:

Nitrous Oxide has been categorised as an inhalant...

I know that the law with Nitrous is the same but it just so wrong...

Am I the only one that has a problem with this?

Once again nangs being given a bad name... :angry:

Nah, I usually shoot up my NOS - dont you? :P

For starters, I always found drug info leaflets to be printed on nice heavy weight, glossy sheen paper...IDEAL for splitting up a bag on :P I used the a4 sized plastic bag that came around ours to mail out some yerba mate I had no use for anymore, but someone on ebay did... and then I read the damned pamphlet, which informed me of some startling facts...

- drugs can lead to terrible side effects and social problems, no mention of them being great fun for some, so it musn't happen.

- people tend to get drugs from people they know... good news for parents previously racked with guilt over raising moody, edgy loners that never go out!

- most common names for drugs are things that noone commonly calls them (I can just see the policy squad behind this one taking their work home and asking their own teenage kids what ppl call what... and then taking the results as gospel..my mum once upon a time was an advisor on certain things to a recently expired premier...I know how it works :P )

- commons signs of drug use in teenagers include..

being aged between 12 and 20, and

acting like teenagers.

so if you know a teenager that, of late, has been acting like something of a teenager (moody, shifty, sleepy, grumpy, experiemental, shifting priorities, etc) you should immediately call crimestoppers.

Good point about the datura crossover... parents hear kids say "mushrooms" on the phone or out the back, get onto google and type in "datura effects nasty bad" ist straight to the hellish depths of erowid for them! bad news for one n all...

On the other hand, there ARE people out there with teenagers and literally no clue at all, some of this stuff will be entirely news to them..it would be ideal to be nice and accurate in them, but I think we have overly high expectations of our propaganda there. In the meantime it might just, somehow, kind of help someone.

Though I am not sure how.

Apoth, the best "drug notes" I have ever read were in a student organiser thing issued years back by UQ... had a decent page on anything common, entirely factual, neither glowing or dismissive... just the ups, downs n in betweens.

This shit always reminds me of the south park where they hire the bum to play future stan (was it stan? not sure)... to warn him off drugs.. til he had his arm chopped off at the dinnertable.

One thing that was interestingly absent was any mention of "look out for these websites" or "if timmy is receving packages, open them".. surely They are aware of the extent to which the net supports teenie culture these days, maybe a li lless empahsis on suddenly not thinking maths matter much, and a lil more "if you find acetone in their bedrooms, get really, really curious".

As a parent, I can see the need, in a way... but if its "factual information"... keep it factual.. otherwise adults and kids alike decide the ENTIRE drug message is bullshit, and some aspects of it are entirely sensible, made in response to voiced opinions of experienced and past users themselves. the rest unfortunately is pure bullshit and now, as when I was a teenager, kids will just rely on books, mates, erowid, wherever for more "practical information".

that, and if you try to compost or mulch with this stuff, the ink poisons your microlife...thanks Johnny.

VM

well... you do inhale them :scratchhead:

Well I understand that Nitrous is a gas that you inhale which would make it an inhalant, but the huge chemical difference between NOS and the chemicals used for chroming is a factor that seperates them.

I think people could be easily swayed to think that they both have the same effects and damage on the body.

I understand this might be wrong but I guess I have catagorised chemicals that people chrome as inhalants and Nitrous as a dissociative anaesthetic gas...

I understand this might be wrong but I guess I have catagorised chemicals that people chrome as inhalants and Nitrous as a dissociative anaesthetic gas...

Yeah it's the categorisation that's the problem. Inhalant just refers to the method of administration. It's like putting cannabis, DMT, and opium in the same category of drug based on the fact they are all smoked.

The term you are looking for to describe chromed substances is solvents.

The term you are looking for to describe chromed substances is solvents.

Are all chromed substances solvents, ie. petrol?

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question...

Whop Whop im off to chrome me some water

Are all chromed substances solvents, ie. petrol?

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question...

Dunno

I'm pretty ignorant myself.

But AFAIK yes.

dc, dihydrogen monoxide is a very dangerous substance and I do not recommend administering it by this method ;).

Even if it doesnt kill you straight away, studies consistently show that almost every dihydrogen monoxide user eventually drops dead... at the moment of death concentrations in the body can be as high as 90 percent or thereabouts... not to mention its tremendously habituating effects... I had a lil bit as a kid and these days don't feel right unless I've knocked off at least 2000ml of relatively pure product.Which just gets me feeling "normal" again.

Be informed! :P

VM

Wow, digging up an old thread now :)

Well I stumbled across an unopened copy of the 'speak to your kids about drugs' pamphlet from 2007 just today, so I figured I'd scan a copy and upload it for anyone interested (yes outdated now, however still very funny [/scary] to read thru). But several hours later (gotta love scanners... :BANGHEAD2:), I realise that the thing doesn't want to attach to this thread for some reason. Perhaps it's too big (just shy of 6MB)? If anyone's interested and knows a way to host it elsewhere and link it for all, I'd be happy to give that a shot (it's a pdf file). And of course, if we can upload it here I'd prefer that option so we can have an historical record.

If no one's interested then I'll let this thread fade back into the archives. Also, I got no idea about copyrights or anything, so if this would be a breach of any sort then I'll edit this post and delete my copy and we can all forget about it (and all that work scanning!) :wink:

Edited by Ace

It would be great if anyone had a copy of the 'choosing to use but want to keep your head straight" booklet. Came out earlier this year but got scrapped pretty much immediately. Mindexpansion started a good thread on it. Anyway if anyone has a copy it would be great if they could scan it for us to see.

cheers

Ace I think it's a great idea to put it up, anyone that hasn't read it will get a good giggle out of it.

Misinformation like that spreads and is dangerous, as was pointed out there are two particularly scary examples, the datura and angels trumpet being street names for mushrooms, and the pma being a street name for mdma.

One question to ask is WHO THE FUCK WRITES THESE THINGS?

Because it would seem that whoever it is knows very very little about drugs at all.

Dangerous mistakes,

Peace

Does anyone here remember this one??? - Drugs of addiction and you : a handbook for children and their parents, a community service publication by HBA.

It was my first introduction into drug information as it was released when i was 4 years old in 1981. It doesnt have as much info as its modern counterparts but thats where the beauty lies. It skims over the basics of each subject so leaves less room for error and BS. Another excellent part of this publication is the fact that it includes alcohol along with the other drugs. My favourite page when i was a kid was the nightmare makers section, only because it had a guys heads slowly turning into a skull (i had a skeleton fascination as a kid ) which mentioned the hallucinogens LSD, STP, DMT, Mescaline and Psilocybin :). It is imo alot better than the shit they have released these days as like i said it is straightforward and easy for a kid to understand without all the bullshit and misinformation, it was made for kids to read first and then share with their parents not the other way around. The modern sorts of publications are better off just going over the basics and shouldnt be full of useless info or try to cram every detail in about each drug, the learning should be done by the person as they choose to on their own via whatever publication they choose not from a government issued pamphlets that are full of shit.