The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

2007-8 Grafting Comp poll

Grafting Competition Poll  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just wanted to get an idea of how many plan to participate in the 2007-2008 Shaman Australis Lophophora Grafting Competition :)

The grafting competition announcement thread says it starts october first.

I know aussies do things different but up here the month of september is between august and october :P

That gives them 5 weeks, 2 days to decide :P

Hmm, I must have been too cryptic in PM.

Otherwise you would wait :wink:

But I love being cryptic (its the artist in me :P) so I'll just say you'll definatly kick yourself if you start all your seeds a month before the competition starts.

Keen as a bean mate! Just wish my peres would do a little more growin... :( Think I have a serious lack of air exchange in one of my rooting boxes (well, almost certainly as its just a fluoro sitting on a syrofoam box with no air holes... I think I might have to get some holes happening asap...). Another member has kindly offered me some lophie seeds for the comp, and only requested a couple pups at the end of the show B) What a champ!

Cummon Teo - keep them pants on - you can hold out another couple weeks, cant ya?? :P No wait - you start now and use up your best stocks so the rest of us stand a chance!! :lol:

I would like to but don't have the basic goodies...ahh another year learning won't hurt eh?

(note to self: Get your shit together man) :(

AJ

there will be another comp start in feb, gonna try run two a year.

I will have seeds left :) me and phillistine are putting in a combined effort and will possibly have the second shelf up and running meaning 600 plants full capacity and hopefully we can fill it. Also have a secret trial to do aswell :P

eek2.gif

If your starting a farm I just might move to australia :P

Count me in. Had my practice now and all of my grafts are growing. Almost finished my chamber with 100-150 plant capacity. And got plenty of stock to fill that strait away. Just havta find me sum seed.

Any1 needing pereopskis stock in W.A. can PM me for a few free cuts.

P.S. I am technically in this years comp too, but unless all of my competition shivels up and dies, I have no real competitive lophs. Is there a prize for the smallest loph to pup on it's own roots? :P Just learning to graft seedling cacti is my reward :)

Edited by naja naja

I should have cheap loph seed by the end of the week $30 for 100 seed & I will probly do smaller orders.

I will start a thread when they arrve.

Wish I did some.. Might have to next year!

yer ill be in, the last one was good to get the gist of peres grafting. not much loph seed left though so ill probably take you up on some shruman.. i presume the comp is restricted to peres stock?

no interest in a category other than lophs? i think theyre nice an all, just a little bit vanilla for my tastes..

nope can graft onto anything you want. It is limited to lophs, as ive said many times before I had many categories and prizes for the one that started in feb but really there were no entrants even after 20+ people said they would enter. So Ive decided more categories can and prizes can be privilages, show intrest now and next time I might organise some serious prizes and add a category or two.

That said a member has said he will make some excellent prizes for this comp so its not prizeless :)

Just a thought here people, because one of the aims of the the competition is to increase loph numbers and help lower prices, why don't we make it a condition of entry that the first lot of seeds from each competition graft goes to the free seed ring. You don't get much cheaper than free!

Im glad there seems to be some keen interest in the comp...

even if I win I cant collect a prize being across the pond - so I will have to donate the prize anyhow...

so if I do win, Id be happy to contribute my winnings to the seed ring... when I win.. I mean B)

I think one of the keys to being a competitor in this comp will be having trays of loph seedlings

"Ready"

and pereskiopsis cuttings 20cm or higher

"Ready"

to slice and graft on Oct 1st...

Obviously its going to be honor system since everything is gonna be judged from photos, hopefully everyonehere is honest! I think so...

Cheers

Charliewired

Hope you save some of your seeds to be sown on the 1st of October.

Edited by rahli

Seeds must be sown after first of october!!! Feel free to donate seeds to free seed ring but I wont make that a condition of entry, I think part of increasing the number of plants in cultivation requires you to have a sustainable amount in cultivation to begin with. I also use my first flowers to try crosses.

Got a few loph seeds left from the previous comp. Ended up with one successful graft, but the peres it was on had it's stem tunnelled by fungus gnat larvae. Hopefully I do a little better this time :blush:

there will be another comp start in feb, gonna try run two a year.

I will have seeds left :) me and phillistine are putting in a combined effort and will possibly have the second shelf up and running meaning 600 plants full capacity and hopefully we can fill it. Also have a secret trial to do aswell :P

I'm keen for the Feb start. Just need to get good numbers of Peres cuttings. I have some but not really enough to get decent numbers for next Feb. anybody know where I could buy a larger quantity of cuttings??

I'm looking to get a better price than $6 which seems to be the standard at SAB, FF & herbalistics.

Jim

yeah me too Jim.....if you find some peres can you give me a yell also. I would like to have a few come Feb as well.

Thanks

AJ

grab a few now and you will have a LOT more than a few by feb