Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Your first cactus?

Here they are :) Just over 18 months ago:

158_5850.jpg

And here they are 4 months ago, the two shorter ones against the wall :D

_MG_1022.jpg

this baby was my first.

i got her not long after i first moved to the big smoke from the bush & she kept me sane when i was living in a little apartment in legoland. i loved her so much i've never looked back :lol:

med_gallery_2376_3_1056492.jpg

I'm boring... mine was an established T.pach as well as two 35x6-7cm cuttings for doseism from a guy in my TAFE class.

Nice work, bit, they look wicked lined up like that- are they Grusonii in the background as well? How old are they?

My first was one of those grafted red globes on what i assume to be a hylocereus base, dunno what the top was. Anyway, the base rotted, and i knew nothing of grafting back then, so the whole thing died. Took me a while to get back into them, and i guess the next one i got was an optunia due to me liking edible plants (i try to fill my growing spaces with food plants, or spices - my latest adventure is a coffee arabica).

I have moved a couple of times since then, but always taken a cutting of the original plant with me whereever i've gone... :)

Those grafts are Hylocereus gilligan you're right. The scion is usually a chloritic Gymnocalycium mihanovichii sometimes called 'Hibotan"

The scion is usually a chloritic Gymnocalycium mihanovichii sometimes called 'Hibotan"

Phosphene...

What are you meaning by chloritic, that it has been dosed up with chlorine/or grown in a chlorine enriched soil to make it the red colour?

I've actually got some Hylocereus growing now as a plant itself now, both the red and white fruiting dragonfruit...

How well do these guys go as grafting stock for things like lophs, anyone know? They are obviously a fast grower, so if compatible should in theory be fairly good.

Anyone with experience?

Nice work, bit, they look wicked lined up like that- are they Grusonii in the background as well? How old are they?

Thanks man :) Yep grusonii. We're just coming out of winter so I am looking forward to how they do this season. I haven't had them long, estimate about 10 years old? They come from a nursery, so probably pumped full of nutrients to get them as big as possible as fast as possible.

Chlorosis is when plants don't produced chlorophyll properly under certain circumstances, for example nutrient and mineral defiancies, inadequate light etc.

Though looking at a book I have here it seems to say that chlorosis produces a more yellow effect than, red. So I will have do a little more research and see if the red colouration is called something else. Though I think it's the same thing. These plants can only be grown grafted as they do not produce enough chlorophyll to support themselves alone.

Chloritic is the adjective of chlorosis :wink:

I have never tried, though I have heard of people having good results from Hylocereus stocks with lophs. Personally I use San Pedro as it is a realiable and hardy stock, but am wanting to branch out into different stocks soon.

Hope that helps a bit.

:)

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

PHOS

hmmm, interesting... makes you wonder what else can have it's colour changed.

I've got my hylocereus, so i guess i might as well give it a go - my initial attempts with grafting were with pachanoi and they are seeming to go ok - the attachment has been made and i think they are growing. The bridgesii i tried to graft with made my loph (a 2cm button) shrivel and die - it seemed to just dry up from one side and keep working its way across the plant. :(

I'm about to start my attempt for the Loph cup, maybe i'll have a couple of different stocks after i regraft from pere's...

Hmm. now my mind is working overtime.

BIT

Geez, they musta cost a penny or two at that size (they look around right for 8-10 years from the ones i've seen) - i bought 2 that were only 10cm across, and they were $20 - i've seen the ones they sell from ?arizona gardens? or similar and they are about $80 for a 25cm specimen. Mind you, they are beautiful cacti, i wouldn't mind finding one of the reddish tinged spine specimens, i think they'd be pretty awesome when big, in between two standards...

BIT

Geez, they musta cost a penny or two at that size (they look around right for 8-10 years from the ones i've seen) - i bought 2 that were only 10cm across, and they were $20 - i've seen the ones they sell from ?arizona gardens? or similar and they are about $80 for a 25cm specimen. Mind you, they are beautiful cacti, i wouldn't mind finding one of the reddish tinged spine specimens, i think they'd be pretty awesome when big, in between two standards...

$300 for the pair :blush: I spent my last bonus on them... oops.

$300 for the pair :blush: I spent my last bonus on them... oops.

Grin. But why not... those babies are magnificent - what else would you have spent it on? lol. Damn i hate addictions. lol

Chloritic is the adjective of chlorosis

Well, I don't wanna be anal, but I'm going to anyway :) Chloritic means that something contains chlorite (ClO2-) Chlorotic pertains to chlorosis. Sorry, I'm done.

My first is still one of my favourites. A freak TBM from member Wandjina.

post-1438-1188817499_thumb.jpg

She has a thread here http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...c=11062&hl=

I too am lucky enough to have this beauty :lol: ... have you found she's an ultra-slow grower? Mine was dehydrated to the point of binnable not long ago (note to self - water bloody plants more often!! :blush: )... 3 days in some new mix and she's good as gold again!

Thanks Wandjina :wub:

hey Guys, what a nice freak of Nature! I would love to see more pics of this Bridgesii in the Future! Keep em coming! bye Eg

Bump...

stonewolf a warning, growing cacti is adictive, you start off with one, then ne3xt thing you know you are after every species and strain :blink:

Holy shit no kidding.

I only got my first cactus a few months ago, from my growing interest in the "medicinal" values of cacti. I figured I should buy a grown plant before I just start buying cuttings to eat. So I got a peruvianus because blue/green is one of my favourite colours :D Unfortunately my flatmate's dog ate the poor little thing so I got another one to replace it and now sitting on the hot water system he's doing great :) I then got a cutting to give the tip to a friend to start his mescal collection (he's had other cacti for years now though). Now I have a small bridgesii cutting which I need to pot asap. And the other day I bought two bridgesii x scopulicolus to add. I really want to start growing some loph seeds but I know they're going to be difficult to maintain. Already I want more and more plants (to grow not eat), but I figure I should take it slow and take care of the ones I have first.

I chose this one because i wanted to buy a Loph but as i didnt know how they look i ended up with the Gymnocalycium.

Dude I did the same thing! Gymnocalycium was my first too!

Then I got into Trichocereus...

Then the "Lost Peyotes" like Ariocarpus and Turbinicarpus...

And now I'm enjoying collecting Lophophora cacti (along with the above).

Although I've had a few over the years this one was the start of my collection - sent to me by 'Spudamore'

post-903-1226712063_thumb.jpg

and this is my collection now. :) very happy with it :) I surprise myself but I know where they all came from - 75% from people here. :wub:

post-903-1226712166_thumb.jpg

post-903-1226712190_thumb.jpg

post-903-1226712237_thumb.jpg

just wish I could put some of them in the ground and get serious! :slap:

my first was a scop that i thought was a pach when i bought it.

Wow nice collection WT!

I ate the majority of my first ever cactus and planted the tips in a bathtub in Dec 2004 before leaving the country. They're about 6 foot now. The first i planted in my garden in March 2006 was a spachianus and p.azurescens the latter of which rotted while I was away! They've had a hard time since then I no longer eat them but the earwigs sure do, so perhaps i do vicariously. Cacti are relatively hard to find i reckon so the majority of my plants are due to the generousity of others as well, mostly homeowners happy to part with a few cuttings :wub:

Wow nice collection WT!

I ate the majority of my first ever cactus and planted the tips in a bathtub in Dec 2004 before leaving the country. They're about 6 foot now. The first i planted in my garden in March 2006 was a spachianus and p.azurescens the latter of which rotted while I was away! They've had a hard time since then I no longer eat them but the earwigs sure do, so perhaps i do vicariously. Cacti are relatively hard to find i reckon so the majority of my plants are due to the generousity of others as well, mostly homeowners happy to part with a few cuttings :wub:

i like ur cactus house wt, did u build it urself?

Well this is my first year with cacti.... but I got some older ones, which I 'adopted'

The oldest cacti I have are some old members of an old cactus collection my father used tp have and neglected. The older of them propably has to be that Stretsonia coryne which even threw a pup after a couple of months of sun & watering [following some years of neglect]. A Stenocereus and a Mammilaria also there plus a couple of others....

The first cacti I got myself was a T.pachanoi seedling I got sent as a newbee in here from Jono AKA Incognito [thanks mate:)] . It was around these days that I also bought a Gymnocalycium baldianum, an Echinopsis subtenuata, an Astrophtum myriostigma and a Mammilaria hahniana {?} all of which flowered this year thus confirming their ID [the last one flowering these days...] These 4 I bought, along from the pedro that came from australia will have to be some kind of classic in my collection, in the future, If I live to see it grow bigger :)

Nice thread, and nice reading your stories about how you got hooked on cacti :)

Edited by mutant

well my first lot of cacti were from mark 80 almost a year ago (cheers man!) i got 4 peruvians, a bridgesii, some pere cuts and a opuntia cut. 1 of the peru's died :( but i managed to save it's pup and seems to be doing fine (except for it's scale!) and i traded another. still have the rest though and they're doing awesome!