The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
El Barto

mushrooms book for aus

any1 know if there is a book on active mushrooms that focuses only on aus

im trying to find out some info on species state specific and there seasons

am i right in thinking all there is in vic are subs and Gymnopilus?

think i might take a trip up nsw

the same place i got that info on vic says

New South Wales

Gymnopilus junonius

Panaeolus cyanescens

Panaeolus subbalteatus

Psilocybe cubensis

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Psilocybe tasmaniana

seems better than

Victoria

Gymnopilus junonius

Gymnopilus purpuratus

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

i think i find it a little hard to learn from such scattered facts would be easier all in one place like a book

never mind my post... it appears u have both used the same source for the relevant info

Edited by XipeTotec

Reports of P. semilanceata in Vic, too.

Hey El Barto,

Unfortunately there is very limited literature on this subject in Aus. You would be much better off using the search engine here or trawling the internet. That said, it can be tedius and you will often run into false information, so it is best to do a lot of research before taking something as gospel. And remember, most people here are clued up on the aussie mycology, so dont be too afraid to ask if you cant find anything specific.

All in all, the best book on the subject IMO is Stamets 'Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World'. While it is usually very expensive, it has by far the most information on the subject, and lists all species by country/continent as well as giving full descriptions, photos and habitat info. Most people view it as being the bible of entheomycology.

Do some searching and reading dude, the information is around in bits and pieces. There is an immense amount of fungal work to be done in australia, it's still very early days IMO especially regarding psychoactive specimens, no doubt it'll be skewed even further in the future with more and more foreign species potentially naturalising.

If you are interested in studying them in australia wanting to understand seasons etc just study ecology/mushrooms in general, there is immense amounts of information around on the net and in books. Bioregional animism can also be very helpful and pieces of teachings can be borrowed and utilised under different disciplines too.

He's not the only one, but a good start is to look into P. Stamets books, most go into Psilocybe in detail in sections, whereas Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World is dedicated to the genus and some similar psychoactive genera.

also may be of interest.

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online...ooms_aunz.shtml

I realise it's frustrating and ideally field guides and in depth research texts for everything would be great, but the reality is that for such things to get done, the passionate people who spend their lives dedicated to it need to produce such works, in these situations IMO it's down to interested people in communities like this who will produce such works...look at trout and friends for example.

oops ace got in before :D

Edited by gerbil

I think it was the CSIRO (am I getting that right?) that put out a multivolume set on the Fungi of Australia. I've only seen one volume which was large, amazing and filled with photos. That might be its name or it might be Australia Fungi but is a classic reference work.

THere are an insane number of volumes suggesting it would cover the species you have interest in but I only saw the one and attempted to buy a copy without success. I seem to recall it was something like $85 or $110 which would make the entire set a serious investment. If I had the money I would track them down though.

I also think this might be out of print?

I'll try to find out more details from my friend who was trying to organize my purchase of it a couple of years back.

I encountered a much smaller and more generalized one on the subject of mushroom in Australia at a bookstore in Nimbin but it did not seem worth buying. I probably should have anyway.

Edited by trucha

There is no book "Psychoactive Fungi of Australia (or similar)" that I'm aware of.

Better off buying one or two of the decent fungi field guides to Australia or SE Australia which include your Psilocybes, Panaeolus and Gymnopilus species.

The odds are, when you start scratching around in the dirt for mushrooms you're going to get curious about what other non-targets you're finding too. Identifying non-targets (or attempting) is a good exercise to improve your knowledge, improve your ID skills and ultimately makes your search for targets easier. Other than that, it's fun.

I don't have specific references for you at the moment. Try searching for Australian Fungi on Amazon or checking your local uni bookshop, Borders or anywhere you'd expect to find a good selection of books on the Australian environment.

figured id go to my local library and have a look

there were only 2 books in on the subject of fungi in aus

i had a look through and noticed all the pages refering to psiloscybe and other active speices had been torn out in both books :BANGHEAD2:

censorship or vandalism?

think ill just have to buy a copy

Vandalism, most likely :(

:BANGHEAD2: Bloody stupid pricks!

All they had to do is photocopy the relevant parts they were after

and then leave the book intact for others to read/learn from.

Libraries are for everyone.

Particularly good for those who can't afford to buy books or for

poeple who only need a small snippet of info from an expensive book.

pain in the arse!

^Its the hippie way. You will be hard pressed to find many references to psilocybes in libraries, due to the same problem. However Paul Stamet Psilocybin Musshrooms of the World is helpful. Theere is an unidentified psilocybe from Melbourne in there- has anyone ID'ed it?

Toadstools and Mushrooms and Other Larger Fungi of South Australia, Parts I and II (1934-1935)

:wink:

I think it was the CSIRO (am I getting that right?) that put out a multivolume set on the Fungi of Australia. I've only seen one volume which was large, amazing and filled with photos. That might be its name or it might be Australia Fungi but is a classic reference work.

THere are an insane number of volumes suggesting it would cover the species you have interest in but I only saw the one and attempted to buy a copy without success. I seem to recall it was something like $85 or $110 which would make the entire set a serious investment. If I had the money I would track them down though.

I also think this might be out of print?

I'll try to find out more details from my friend who was trying to organize my purchase of it a couple of years back.

I encountered a much smaller and more generalized one on the subject of mushroom in Australia at a bookstore in Nimbin but it did not seem worth buying. I probably should have anyway.

There are 4 editions and you can buy them here direct from the csiro here:

http://www.publish.csiro.au/nid/22/sid/25.htm

ive been considering it for a while now but havent brought myself round to spending the cash yet :blink:

figured id go to my local library and have a look

there were only 2 books in on the subject of fungi in aus

i had a look through and noticed all the pages refering to psiloscybe and other active speices had been torn out in both books :BANGHEAD2:

censorship or vandalism?

think ill just have to buy a copy

What were the names? I can have a look in the ANU library if you like :D

What were the names? I can have a look in the ANU library if you like :D

The National Library has every book that was ever published in Australia. You can do photocopies there.