The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hagakure

Music thread

Been a while

what type of music are people digging these days?

im pretty obsessed with indian classical music at the moment.

various bits and pieces with chaps like ravi shankar, l subramanian, ali akbar khan, kunnakkudi vaidyanathan and zakir hussain playing. i cant get over how amazing indian classical can be. the most haunting and exhilarating stuff.

also been listening to surf rock compilations. surf rock can be really cool stuff.

what are you guys listening to? any good finds?

Guest Øskorei

Freaky - I was considering starting a thread tonight just like this one.

Presently listening to Jimi Hendrix - Live @ Berkeley Community Theatre (May 1970) while smoking some nice strawberry shisha with a dash of mint.

Do you know the track "Morning Love" by Ravi Shankar .... ? A great track to kick back with.

Also enjoy(ed) a lot of Australian-based sarod player Ashok Roy (an Ustad Ali Akbar Khan disciple), seen him live on many occasions in various traditional and fusion movements. Sadly, Ashok died earlier this year.

One an unrelated note, also digging a lot of the band "Clutch" (not at all eastern flavoured) since catching them at the Metro a few weeks back. Ive since scored three of their albums.

Then of course there's the mighty Shpongle, who never cease to amaze. This outfit is more like a drug in itself rather than an accompaniment to, and very addictive stuff for those with an open, unhurried mind unpolluted by pop music phenomenom.

So yea, it's all over the shop for the Ø.

Global underground 29 Dubai /sharam, cant help it, its getting to me!!

cafe buddha, the cream of chilled cuisine.

dunno why but it's geting to me to. must be the front cover, lovely picture of buddha.

i bought these cd's out of desperation because, chinese love songs drive one MAD!!!! MAD i tell you!!!

and they is only one shop where i am that i can get western music, but some nice stuff tho.....

That's neat, I was just going through my music and I thought I would like to start one of these threads.

Some of my favorite stuff at the moment is pretty much anything involving Spencer Krug from Wolf Parade, his other projects Sunset Rubdown and Swan Lake are pretty much on my iPod all the time.

Some other artists I'm just getting turned onto are The Avett Brothers, Menomena and Efterklang... the Avett Brothers' album Emotionalism is particularly cool.

I've been thinking about Pinback again a lot lately too, but I need to find the CD's, they are very innovative and underrated musicians I think. Also, a little while ago I discovered My Bloody Valentine and their album Loveless... I used to love bands like Ride and Smashing Pumpkins, and you can see the influence of this album in those groups.

In the world of blunts, guns and bitches (not really) I can't go past Madlib's Beat Konducta and J-Dilla's Donuts, plus I just got an album called Atlantis by a hiphop musician called K-Os, and it sounds kind of cool... Kid Koala, Daedelus and some of the Anticon dudes such as cLOUDDEAD and Telephone Jim Jesus are all cool with me too.

Speaking of cLOUDDEAD, one of the members called Why? has released a sort of hiphop hybrid indie rock album called Elephant Eyelash which I think is actually really cool.

I'm going to check out some of that indian classical music right now.

"Then of course there's the mighty Shpongle, who never cease to amaze. This outfit is more like a drug in itself rather than an accompaniment to, and very addictive stuff for those with an open, unhurried mind unpolluted by pop music phenomenom"

completely agree.

Shulman has been getting a lot of time on the ground lately. also Dave Seamans 'back to mine' (track 11, Gorecki by Lamb pulls my heart out) and 'reniassance' are getting quickly worn.

Future sounds of London have been up there.

and im really struggling to let go of the uplifting trance i formed a relationship with in my early twenties an example being whats on Tiesto's Nyana - Inddoor compilation.

you could go on and on.

sprinkle a little :bong:

Bjork's new one, 'Volta'

and...

the legendary 'Pork Soda', of Primus...

Hail the king of bass :lol:

been digging the indian classical myself too, magical stuff. will look into a couple of those guys

Grails new album Black Tar Prophecies has been getting some lovin from me. kinda down that god-speed-instrumental-post-rock vein but i like these guys better, they've got a very hypnotic, atmospheric feel and the music flows more like indian music than rock. love these guys

The new Tomahawk is really worth a listen too. doesnt have the same ass-kicking epic rock feeling of the previous albums which i was a big fan of, more of their darker side you might say. has a very native american feel to it, i'd be really suprised if some of the rhythms and chants aren't appropriated traditional tunes.

been reliving some of my favorite Sun City Girls albums also, really worth a listen if you havent heard these guys. hard to describe; very eclectic, from noise to indian jams to surf rock...

Electric Masada's At the Mountains of Madness deserves a mention too, loving it. one of my favorit John Zorn projects. i'll leave it there ey, keep the recommendations always after new sounds

Jimi Hendrix (mostly Electric Ladyland and The Ultimate Experience)

Ice Cubes "The Predator" (been reading about the '92 LA riots recently)

Paul Oakenfolds "Tranceport"

NIN "The Fragile"

Midnite for my reggae fix (I think these guys are Nubian or maybe Ethiopian)

Does live music count? I went to Melbourne recently to see Cog play and they blew my freakin mind.

Jimi Hendrix (mostly Electric Ladyland and The Ultimate Experience)

Ice Cubes "The Predator" (been reading about the '92 LA riots recently)

Paul Oakenfolds "Tranceport"

NIN "The Fragile"

Midnite for my reggae fix (I think these guys are Nubian or maybe Ethiopian)

Does live music count? I went to Melbourne recently to see Cog play and they blew my freakin mind.

COG nice one apo, that would have been nice :shroomer:

to many downers lately I think

anything by the Smiths, killing joke...

The Strokes First impression of earth

a lots of metal for my brain \m/ :BANGHEAD2: \m/

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Thom Yorke's 'solo' album The Eraser, definitely highly recommended.

Architecture in Helsinki, again :)

...Peeping Tom...

And for some Aussie hip-hop, Astronomy Class.

Lots of aus hiphop..it makes me feel like a bogan but its just too good. Brad Strut, Muph n plutonic, bias b, funkoars, drapht...the list goes on.

Iron Maiden's Killers. mmmmm, guitarrrrrrrs

Freaky - I was considering starting a thread tonight just like this one.

Presently listening to Jimi Hendrix - Live @ Berkeley Community Theatre (May 1970) while smoking some nice strawberry shisha with a dash of mint.

Do you know the track "Morning Love" by Ravi Shankar .... ? A great track to kick back with.

Also enjoy(ed) a lot of Australian-based sarod player Ashok Roy (an Ustad Ali Akbar Khan disciple), seen him live on many occasions in various traditional and fusion movements. Sadly, Ashok died earlier this year.

One an unrelated note, also digging a lot of the band "Clutch" (not at all eastern flavoured) since catching them at the Metro a few weeks back. Ive since scored three of their albums.

Then of course there's the mighty Shpongle, who never cease to amaze. This outfit is more like a drug in itself rather than an accompaniment to, and very addictive stuff for those with an open, unhurried mind unpolluted by pop music phenomenom.

So yea, it's all over the shop for the Ø.

Definitely, I've listened to Shpongle on my mp3 player whilst walking over rockpools on a beach near the sunshine coast after sipping a bottle of sweet wine. Was soooo good, when it began to get dark it definitely set a nice mood. FOAF told me he's also listened to Shpongle on subs and felt reeeeally good!

i have just got back into pearl jam for some reason, i think its the memory of eddies honey voice that used to soothe my teenage angsty soul. seriously the guys voice sends shivers up my spine.

other than that various psy trance artists in particular schpongle, and thanks to ' The Baccness' have

found the beautiful,sad song of Nina Simone-what a gorgeous,gorgeous voice.

Ive been thinking of late what a great tune MJK from tool and ed ved would make, would be great if they ever hook up, though i dont think so. Im thinking eds lead with mjk backing.

Menomena. Sage Francis. The new Silverchair album.

Last night during the middle of some subby fun, my friend cracked out

Incubus - Aqueous Transmission

This is truly a beautiful song.

Try 'San Andreas Fault', Natalie Merchant

bit of the Anticon lads being mentioned. went through a phase when i was right into em a while ago.

they have some quality tracks. very original hiphop.

when you mentioned Thom Yorke IB, i had the urge to dig out the radiohead albums i havent heard in a while. goodness, i remember why it's an occasional fling for me these days, it still makes me feel like weeping - so beautiful. did you happen to catch them live? i went to Sydney for that one, one of the best shows i have ever seen, the emotions are no doubt connected to that memory too.

otherwise, been listening to lots of Boredoms again. check out their 777 gig (with 77 drummers)!

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=WYwkkdX0wsM&...ted&search=

also came across an new album called Planetfall by Litmus. pretty awesome hawkwind/monster magnet style space rock

Been listening to a heap, but off the top of my head:

Butterfingers - Breakfast @ fatboys, The deeper you dig

Chemical Brothers - We are the night

Ween - Full discography

Oysterhead/Primus - Most Albums

Regurgitator - Tu Plang, Mish Mash, Hamburger EP, New EP

Hilltop hoods - Hard road restrung

Guttermouth - Shave the planet, Gusto, Friendly people

Plus the usual Shpongle, Halucinogen and Infected Mushroom.