The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

best poppy planting time in next few weeks?

from what i've read this seems the go for large plants.also saw a recommendation to pick off the first flowers if the plant is not big enough.

t s t .

Yeah I'm also curious what the best time is for germination? I got told the best time is around march to may for QLD, is this true? I really wanna grow some ps plants this year.

April - June in northern NSW. Might be a few weeks earlier in Qld. I think at the moment is still a bit too warm for them.

hy,

i don't understand the first post and i hope i will not be out of topic...

but i understand the title and this is my advice:

poppy germinate best at 15°c

the seeds like the frost and subzero temperature

so it is best to saw before time than after time.

if you began in gardening plant with MJ, you have first to forget or delete your reflex.

the best time for germination is not the sunny springtime like with MJ. imagine a day with dark sky , endwinter temperatures....it is the good time to saw.

this advice are for a standart growing and they could help if you want big plants.

but !

if you don't want big plant and if you want to increase potency the problem is opposite.

you had to choose the extrem time of the heat season that could support your poppy, and after you subtract the growing and germination time that need your strain, then you have your planting date.

a friend of mine has got germination of persian whites, in the South Queensland area...now...

hope that helps....

Vins - "if you don't want big plant and if you want to increase potency the problem is opposite.

you had to choose the extrem time of the heat season that could support your poppy, and after you subtract the growing and germination time that need your strain, then you have your planting date. "

so is this why opium is produced in tropical countries?? the plant is smaller, but more potent at tropical temperatures?

aloha good people,

I know this probably isn't the right place to ask, but since we're on the subject - if anyone could pm me in regard to obtaining some seed please do, I'm sure I could work out something in return - thanks, and sorry again if its in the wrong place :)

turk182

what i will said is a mix of my opinion, my experience and what i have read..i don't know if it is the true...

lot of drug plants are from heat region,(mexico,asia,north africa) and there is a relation between the sun and their drug production. if you grow MJ with a lot of water and a soft sunlight you will have a big plant with a poor potency. in liban, the cannabis growers are planting little plants in bad condition and never water them; they are never more big than 30cm high with one little bud.

but what a quality !!! humm, the pink-libanese-hash !

it is the same thing for poppy. you need to find how to grow them and to keep them a live with the more extrem conditions.

about the production in the world :

they grows in all the places (tasmanie is not a tropical place) but the best opium is from the heat region (india,indonesia,south america) and the really best opium is from the heat and dry regions.(iran, liban, egypte, afghanistan)poppy don't like humidity with heat. this is why we often ear that the poppy are best at west than at est (mediteranean versus asian).

thats also funny to see that the persian is a really little plant with just one pod and that Taz is a healthy plant with number of pods...climate evolution ?

[ 17. March 2003, 04:09: Message edited by: VIN'S ]

quote:

a friend of mine has got germination of persian whites, in the South Queensland area...now...

hope that helps....

Sorry to go slightly off topic... what should i grow poppies in?? A big Tub or something?>? I know they don't like being transplanted so can anyone help me ?

thats also funny to see that the persian is a really little plant with just one pod and that Taz is a healthy plant with number of pods...climate evolution ?

The persian whites I am talking about are pretty largish with more than one, sometimes multiple flowers/heads/pods

Actually they were larger than any other poppies my friend has grown

gomaos: the persian could be healthy with number of pods and a big strain could have just one pod.

like we said before the aspect depend on genetic and also on growing conditions.

but a persian that grow in persia is a little plant(less than 60cm) with a little number of pods; often a single one .

this is why i am not agree when people said that all the white seeded strain are just persian.

of course the india white, china white really look like the persian and come from the persian strain. but they are growing in different conditions than the true persian and they became a little different.(more healthy and more pods, with humidity).

maybe the seeds of your friends were true persian and his growing conditions better than the persian conditions ?

[ 18. March 2003, 08:16: Message edited by: VIN'S ]

when you said "larger", did you talk about the plant aspect or the pod ?

Well, actually, my friend thought they were persians but perhaps they are something else like a persian strain from India etc. white seeds, some nice big pods the size of chicken eggs if he remembers right....

they sort looked like large open-headed lettuces...

TURK, the poppy seeds you can buy by the kilo at supermarkets are usually viable and high potency p. somniferum from Tasmania. They have quite a bit of thebaine in them, but from my research I dont believe this to be a problem(and it is easy to separate morphine from the other alkoloids anyway). And of course, Tosten has several strains...

Green light for south qld, I have germination!

so poppy seeds are available from shops? ive never seen them anywhere?

and they are still potent? woulda thought that woulda been outlawed?

any ideas on what shops in qld i could get this from?

Coles, Woolworths, Health Foods Shops, Ethnic Shops...take your pick

The Tasmanian commercial strain ( the probable source of supermarket seeds in Australia) are apparently very highly esteemed at poppies.org ( many say they are the best)

I haven't had any trouble buying ps seeds from herb seed catalogs. Usually they run between 2 and 5 dollars (US) for a packet of seeds... I haven't tried to grow any yet, but I have a plot of ground in a friend's yard that is soon to be as pretty as anything opiate-ridden can be :D

Tryptameanie:

The Tasmanian commercial strain ( the probable source of supermarket seeds in Australia) are apparently very highly esteemed at poppies.org   ( many say they are the best)

hmmm.....interesting. Do they have "made in australia"on it? I shall check...

I believe they do. Coles has 2 brands, the more expensive one is in the "Health Food" section, the other one could be there too, or try the spices section. Should be about $2 per 200g.

They are sold as "poppy seeds". They are pretty widely used in pastries, breads,and curries. You hear rumours about somnif seed being sterilised before being sold in supermarkets, but I haven't found this to be true.

There very good ground up and used in curry paste. They also make a great filling in a Greek sweet pastry thing. (Try the Hellenic Bakery next to Centrelink in Marrickville- all their other stuff is delicious and cheap too)

thanks guys, and its soo amazing the differant things ive found out in the last few days by visiting this forum.

thanks a mill.