The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DocAzz

Syringes

Where do you budding mycologists get your syringes, and needles, from??

I've got a couple of prints here ready to go under my microscope, but there seems to be squeeking in some parts, like it needs some oil. I figure the perfect way to get some lubrication inside the microscope is with a syringe.... B)

My wife's a GP, so I get mine from her... you should be able to get some from a pharmacy or something I guess, might be harder to get big ones though... I think someone said you can get them from veterinary suppliers, like farmers get them for horses and stuff.

you can get them from veterinary suppliers, like farmers get them for horses and stuff.

yep :)

bigger pet shops are your best bet.

Dont dress like a junkie when you go to get them :P

For glass ones perhaps www.labx.com

Hmm, the only syringes I could find there were 10cc disposables and some second hand 2cc glass ones. Plus, isn't that an American site? I don't think I'd want customs knowing I was importing glass syringes.

Ah, bingo

...for some reason I thought funky was down.

isn't that an American site? I don't think I'd want customs knowing I was importing glass syringes.
Its like ebay, international with every seller having their own location and rules and different stock every day

If only FF took Paypal :(

Dont dress like a junkie when you go to get them :P

Ha!

I've since found out that all public hospitals (in NSW atleast) have needle exchange units attached to them. Its free, but its unlikely they'll have anything but needles for junkies, 18 guage isn't really used in hospitals for much, and certainly isn't used for injecting people with. Still worth a shot.

Tell them your pet elephant is a junkie and needs wide needles and 20 CC syringes (obviously he couldnt fit through the hospital door so it should sound reasonable)

I've mentioned this in another thread but here it is again.

Any place that supplies meds for horses will stock syringes and tips. This includes certain pet shops, vet supply shops, vetinary clinics and places that cater specifically for horses such as horse land/world or what ever its called.

The pet shop I got mine from had quite a variety of plunger sizes and tip gauges and lengths. They were cheaper than anywhere else as well. The chemist I went to chasing them had the plungers but not the tips, he implied that no chemist stocks tips and suggested I try a pathology lab hehe. Some chemists might stock them though but a pet shop is prolly a safer bet.

Still worth a shot.

ha ha, junky puns.

Umm, where was I? Oh yes - depends where you are. In Sydney, there are heaps of needle exchanges, although I think 5 or 10ml is the biggest they stock. Some chemists stock large syringes, but unless they're a designated needle exchange, a lot won't sell needles (even the blunt tips!). In smaller towns, you might be better off going to pet shops (say it's to feed baby rats with or something), or art supply shops.

And remember that it isn't illegal to have syringes/needles in Australia - the injecting paraphernalia laws were repealed years ago.

a lot of needles exchnages carry up to 60ml barrles for use wiht butterfly clips etc..

This is often used to inject large doses of methadone, vitamins and other dilute solutions.

Best shot is look on google for an aussie online agi/vet supply, you can get some kool stuff...

In Vic Slades pharmacy (Richmond but i'm sure others do also) have a great range, 10ml with a 18 gauge 1 1/2" needle is perfect

a lot of needles exchnages carry up to 60ml barrles for use wiht butterfly clips etc..

This is often used to inject large doses of methadone, vitamins and other dilute solutions.

Really? I've been told by several exchanges that they don't stock the big ones for that very reason - they don't want to encourage people to inject methadone. Same thing with butterfly clips as they reckon people leave them in and get infections. I guess it depends on the place.

Really? I've been told by several exchanges that they don't stock the big ones for that very reason - they don't want to encourage people to inject methadone. Same thing with butterfly clips as they reckon people leave them in and get infections. I guess it depends on the place.

Yeah, usualy only a few exchnages will do it but they are around.

I guess it has a lot to do with the person who is running the exchange, after all, its a bit hypocritical to say "we will give you syringes to inject some drugs but not others", after all thats why they are there.

The only other option is to inject serveral times in a row which presents its own issues.