The Corroboree
Moses

eBay T.B.M wow!!!!!

:worship::drool2:

That baby would have to be worth the drive from Sydney?

Astrophytum myriostigma (bishops cap) is mentioned in Adam Gottliebs Peyote & other psychoactive cacti but so are a lot of others & I would stick with the tried & true cacti.

It would be nice if who ever wins this TBM doesnt chop it up. Id love to se if it will flower....

imagine crossing TBM with eileen :drool2:

It would be nice if who ever wins this TBM doesnt chop it up. Id love to se if it will flower....

imagine crossing TBM with eileen :drool2:

my thoughts exactly!

but dont you just get the feeling that the week after it is won there will be a lot of little TBM on eBay.

maybe we should start a syndicate to save it.

as it would only be obtained for its breeding could we not induce flowering with hormones

has anyone here ever seen such an advanced specimen??

GIMME GIMME :drool2:

Anyone who would like to go in on 2-3 way syndicate should shoot me a PM.

Preferably people close to the source, who can pickup or have plant sent to them.

Oh yeh...id expect it to go for over $200

Let me know folks...

I'd like to put a bid on but she'll go for a sum outside my price range I fear.

How would a syndicate work? Would you really want to chop her to bits?

I'd like to put a bid on but she'll go for a sum outside my price range I fear.

How would a syndicate work? Would you really want to chop her to bits?

first i am totally against chopping her up

i was thinking more along the lines of pooling our resources so someone with extensive breeding knowledge and access to other trichs could try to induce flowers then cross with everything possible and distribute the seeds to the syndicate members, each member owning what ever sprouts so they can distribute and so no-one gets a monopoly.

after a given time(yrs??) if it seems to be in vain then it is divided amongst the syndicate.

the odds of getting it to flower would be the deciding factor if this was a good idea or not.

what do our experts think??

do you think it's possible to induce it to flower or am i pissin up a rope here??

Sounds like a great idea Moses, but I can see a bit of moist rope there - I cant see such a plant flowering. I would be all for keeping her in one piece, and attempting to induce flowering, but I think the odds are stacked against that happening :(

Splitting her up between a few different folks was my first idea too, but now I've thought about it - it really belongs in a first rate collection. Hell, even a botanical garden for ethnos or plain cacti. Torsten should open up the Aussie Ethno Gardens! :P But I think it would be horrific to see her pulled to bits among a couple of people. If there was a syndicate to form - I think it should go somewhere people can visit, but kept well and truly secure and maintained like a chunk of gold :)

Either that, or we just say fuck it - lets eat her :P and share her around the circle :lol: lol Nah - that'd be such a waste...

Just my thoughts.

I think inducing flowers could be done on a less mature specimin. I cant see why you would need to use such an old plant.

Tis nice tho :)

Either way i really want it.

Havent thought much about the syndicate, idead can be worked out when plans are made, but it will defiantly increase the chance of a member or two here winning it. Giving it the proper respect it deserves.

I think inducing flowers could be done on a less mature specimin.

I don't know alot about the science of clones etc.

If you cut a tip from that beauty and rooted it isn't it effectively the same "maturity" as the mother-plant anyway?

Where does maturity come from? Is it purely a question of biomass?

Most of the TBMs owned by the community, from the tiny thumb-sized pup to a grizzled monster-cock-mass, are probably from the same stock and hence same "maturity".

I'm about 20mins from where it is. Was planning on going upto around mid 200s for it possibly more.

They knocked back $200 buy it now...

If you cut a tip from that beauty and rooted it isn't it effectively the same "maturity" as the mother-plant anyway?
Same maturity? No, its a younger pup. When its has shot a pup or two itself, then i would consider it to be mature. Eg, like removing a pup from a a loph, the pup isnt mature untill its grown on and flowered. Same deal.
Where does maturity come from? Is it purely a question of biomass?

When i used the term mature, i simply was describing the age and yes biomass of the plant.

I dont think you would need such a huge plant to induce flowers. Just a mature/older section would be fine.

Most of the TBMs owned by the community, from the tiny thumb-sized pup to a grizzled monster-cock-mass, are probably from the same stock and hence same "maturity".

I dont think so. How can a tip cut of a tbm be the same maturity as a old fella like the one posted about? Mature in what sense? They share the same is the genetics, ie, the original stock. The word mature was only used by me as describing before, sheer biomass and age. Im sure flowering could be induced on a smaller, mature specimin.

Sound ok? :)

I was under the impression that ELMs did not flower. I cannot recall where i read this.

Has anyone got, or can they find a picture of a ELM in flower? I would really love see it and get a definite on this.

im pretty sure it was just assumed that they didnt flower because noone has seen them flower

If a tree falls down in the woods and no one is around to hear it- does it make a sound?

:P

Your right, i dont think they do flower, hence my point at inducing flower via graft.

Im searching google and SAB at the mo, but cant find the info im after(for some reason i cant get sab's search engine to work, just encountering errors). There was a small dumpling like cati, mamallaria or other, that when grafted to the stock, forced a hormone change that caused the stock to flower. Im sure it was used in europe to force flower and create seed from rare and almost non-flowering varieties.

Now if i can just find that paper!!! :BANGHEAD2:

Sound ok? :)

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose it depends on your point of reference for 'maturity'. Whole plant vs isolated section. And being modular organisms both points of reference can be valid.

I think ur right in a way morg clones maintain the same genetic age as the mother plant & in turn should flower along with her.

That golden barrel is a beauty, ex member jactus told me has G.Bs as big as 50cm if anyones interested I can contact him I think he wanted bout $500 but not bad for a 90 plus yr old catus.

I think ur right in a way morg clones maintain the same genetic age as the mother plant & in turn should flower along with her.

What does "genetic age" have to do with flowering? and what is"genetic age"? Please explain...

You cant say a pup has the same genetic age as a motherplant, the genes never/rarely change with age, hence, thats why we use cloning! The genes stay the same, thats what makes it a stable variety. Only the set of environments and maturation of that clone that will bring about flowering if possible. eg, some clones of the same plant will flower profusely in one location, wheras clones of the same varity may not flower at all in other environments.

Again, i liken it to a pup off a loph, you cant expect it to flower untill it grows up, and reaches maturity to flower. Why would this be any different with the TBM? Or the pup off a trich, it wont flower the same year it shoots out of the areole will it? yet it has the same "genetic age" as you say. Yet a trich tip cutting, say a foot or two long that has matured, will, if conditions are right, flower indeed.

Point is, TBM are very rarely in flower(i wont say never) and we have to attemp induce flowering in a mature section/piece/length whatever, not a freshy shot pup.