The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conan Troutman

columnar loph

Can someone tell what would cause my lil loph to wanna turn columnar? :o

post-1069-1171442406_thumb.jpgpost-1069-1171442474_thumb.jpg

It has been in the same conditions as my other lophos, just a smaller pot, would that be them problem?

Should i be worried about losing it? because iam?

post-1069-1171442406_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1171442474_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1171442406_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1171442474_thumb.jpg

less light intensity on sides than there is on top makes em stretch generally, tho im no grower :(

grown from seed or was it a pup?

if seed perhaps genetics?

but yeah, could very well be not enough light. makes sense.

grown from seed or was it a pup?

if seed perhaps genetics?

but yeah, could very well be not enough light. makes sense.

it was seed grown and also is growing a far bit faster than the all my others which are all about the same age.

It seems to be quite healthy. hope its genetics

hell yeah

if it is genetics you may have a whole lot of people on the forum keen for some pollen or seed ;)

If the seed stock was from SAB quite a few years ago, it may be genetic. Im pretty sure mine was from SAB. I also have a few taller lophs, only from one seed batch tho. Its not light intensity, just the way they grow. Escpecially not light as you have said they are both in the same environmental conditions.

Im pretty sure this graft is from the same seed stock.

med_gallery_1274_18_122097.jpg

Ill try to take some pics of my other non-grafted talls too.

90-95% sure its genetics.

:)

Bd

hey bd im not sure the source of the seed but dont think it was SAB,

do u notice faster growth rates in you elongated lophs? more pics would be great.

BD your elongation is simply because of graftage (i.e. not etiolation).

I'd like to see some columnar loph genetics too, but conan I think yours simply isn't getting the right amount of light.

Conans must be getting the right light, the other one in the photo looks fine. As long as they are in the same environment, feeding etc there should be no difference but genetic variation.

Heres some of my tall lophs. All are situated in the same environment, and have been for at least 4 years.

NON GRAFTED

gallery_1274_18_18128.jpggallery_1274_18_7285.jpg

And a normal loph, same location, ie, no eliolation.

gallery_1274_18_51258.jpg

And a new shot of that grafted one, i agree, grafting can, but not always cause columnar growth. These grafted and non grafted are from the same seed batch.

gallery_1274_18_35263.jpg

The taller ones did grow quicker at the start, but then slowed down dramatically once pupping begain. They are just seeing signs of new growth this year, after a stagnent year last year after repotting.

Wow, these look rather cool!

play round with the pollen guys.

try to cross tall lophs with tall lophs and see what you get.

Sorry about the cheap-ass photo's but I seem to have the same thing going:post-300-1171564007_thumb.jpgpost-300-1171563944_thumb.jpg

100_0107.jpg

100_0111.jpg

100_0107.jpg

100_0111.jpg

All BD are caespitose plants, ive noticed caespitose plants can grow up a little and ive always assumed it was so they wernt drowned in pups. I have seen a solitary loph grow up but not as you guys have shown it, this one was like a normal loph ontop of a 5cm brown dried stuff, but it wasnt the root the roots were normal.

Another option is that these were grown from seeed from grafted plants and that there was transfer of genetic material between stock and scion. If this is the case then it got major implications with all the grafting going on.

What i think is conans isnt getting enough light and BD's didnt get enough light at one time but now do. Also who says the light requirements for each plant is the same? If it etoliates give it more light :D

Conans must be getting the right light, the other one in the photo looks fine. As long as they are in the same environment, feeding etc there should be no difference but genetic variation.

Heres some of my tall lophs. All are situated in the same environment, and have been for at least 4 years.

NON GRAFTED

And a normal loph, same location, ie, no eliolation.

And a new shot of that grafted one, i agree, grafting can, but not always cause columnar growth. These grafted and non grafted are from the same seed batch.

The taller ones did grow quicker at the start, but then slowed down dramatically once pupping begain. They are just seeing signs of new growth this year, after a stagnent year last year after repotting.

Man like I said, I'd like to be wrong on this one. The only reasonable other explanation I could think of is the one teo already mentioned, genetic transfer from grafts.

I can provide a photo of an identical looking loph from Herbalistics (so probably different seed stock) that lives at my friends house, doing the same thing. I still think etiolation :P

defiantly same conditions, they have been in almost for sun for couple of weeks so i will see if it slows down.

but also, wouldnt the genetics still have to be superior too be able to outgrow my other lophs with less light as suggested?.

as you can see it is probably twice the size as the other pictured.

Another option is that these were grown from seed from grafted plants and that there was transfer of genetic material between stock and scion. If this is the case then it got major implications with all the grafting going on.
Glad someone else is thinking like this, this was my first impression with this physiology. I hope its not the case, means alot of seed in the future could be potentially non-standard genetics if so. It could also be result from the recombination of the genes, maybe there was a caesp in the liniage somewhere.
All BD are caespitose plants, ive noticed caespitose plants can grow up a little and ive always assumed it was so they wernt drowned in pups.

I also have other caesp that dont or havent grown tall, only this particular batch of seed, no others have shown it. Growing up a little is different than this, its def something odd.

Do you have pics of other tall caesp plants to show what you mean?

Also who says the light requirements for each plant is the same?

Within a selection of same sourced seed, you would expect a little or no(no is far to definative :) ) differentiation in light requirements, why would there be? I dont think this is the case here. Morseo geneology.

Mesc, where did you get the seed from, and roughly whats the light exposure there? eg, shaded, windowsil etc..

Ps, Im pretty sure that the o.g. seed came from europe somewhere back then. I would be suprised if a number of aussie stores carried the same seed stocks back then i think they were all sharing stock... Just a guess... :)

Narayan has some coolasss columnar Loph seedlings too from light deficiency and high rimmed pots. Wish mine grew like that!!!

Another option is that these were grown from seeed from grafted plants and that there was transfer of genetic material between stock and scion. If this is the case then it got major implications with all the grafting going on.

???

I thought this would have been impossible. Is this a documented phenomenon? Can anyone throw me a link/reference to get me started?

Gremlins make me post twice.

Edited by MORG

All of my lophs in my greenhouse have grown in this way, there is no direct sun and a fair amount of humidity in there, i have several different types of loph seed grown that are all doing the same thing.

The transfer of genetic information has been showed to occur in solanaceae, auxin knows more about it. This could be what is happening but I would be willing to place $10 on the fact that if you gave them more light they would grow normal.

Im happy to leave them be, I like the different look :P and as they arnt showing signs of "pointy" elioation(which i normally look for, like actual thinning of the tip or lightening of the ttips colour), ill let em go like they are. It will be interesting to see what hey look like in another 5 yrs!

Ok, $10 they are normal :wink: Just different. Nothing wrong with that :)B)

If light is the problem, then only this particular batch of seed is showing this sign, no other loph in the collection are streaching at all.

Mesc, where did you get the seed from, and roughly whats the light exposure there? eg, shaded, windowsil etc..

The solitary one was sourced from a guy on the central coast as a pup and I think it originally came from Urban Tribes.The others came from Planthelper as pups also in his clearance sale.

I've tried them on windowsills in various directions and currently they're under daylight flouros in a cloning cabinet @ about 400mm away.I water them once a week from the bottom.

I'd like to get some gro-lux tubes and see how they influence the growth.

My grafted loph seems to do this. It has put on 0.5cm in diameter but had grown up 2cm upwards…