The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cisumevil

Good Ethno's for Hedging?

Hi Guy's & Girls :)

Just wondering if there are any good Ethno's for creating a Hedge. I want one out the front to get to about 2+ meters tall!

Must be able to handle Perth climate, Hot dry Summers & Warm to cold winters with some frost!

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Ilex paraguayensis ?

Thanks mate ;)

I'll look into that for sure :)

I know a guy who has a psychotria viridis hedge.

Don't know if that would work in perth, but why not?

E. novogranatense would make a nice lime green hedge.

But let me add that hedges are way too much work if you're a lazy set and forget type person. If I were you I'd just get some smaller growing clumping bamboos and let them go for it.

http://www.mrbamboo.com.au/small_bamboo/fo...e_inviting.html

If you were prepared to set the area up properly with a raised area and HDPE sheets then you can grow some wonderful running bamboos, even Moso which grow up to 24 metres in height and is absolutely stunning. The sound of the 'clacking' of 10cm thick culms above you when the wind blows is a joy to behold.

Edited by ~username

ummm, did everyone miss the 'some frosts' bit?!?

this severely limits the choice and certainly eliminates the last two suggestions.

Good climates to think of are argentina, southern chile and south africa. also, parts of china and certainly europe.

Desfontania spinosa would probably do well if you can keep the water up to it. And as the name says makes an excellent hedge to keep people out - ouch!

oh, and moso will easily penetrate HDPE sheets .... or simply run over the top of them. I've seen moso crack stainless steel welds. Also not sure if it can handle the cold. There are certainly quite a few cold hardy bamboos down to a few degrees below zero. Beware council regulations and powerlines when opting for bamboo.

how tall do you want this hedge?

stuff

Edited by spudamore

I've found Cofeea Arabica to be really good for hedging. I've seen it mentioned in other places also. :)

ummm, did everyone miss the 'some frosts' bit?!?

this severely limits the choice and certainly eliminates the last two suggestions.

Good climates to think of are argentina, southern chile and south africa. also, parts of china and certainly europe.

Desfontania spinosa would probably do well if you can keep the water up to it. And as the name says makes an excellent hedge to keep people out - ouch!

oh, and moso will easily penetrate HDPE sheets .... or simply run over the top of them. I've seen moso crack stainless steel welds. Also not sure if it can handle the cold. There are certainly quite a few cold hardy bamboos down to a few degrees below zero. Beware council regulations and powerlines when opting for bamboo.

how tall do you want this hedge?

The novo was indeed a joke.

But the bamboo is a viable alternative. Some Phyllostachys pubescens (Moso) would make a formidable screen and can tolerate frosts and temps down to about -12 C. It has edible shoots and has a certain spiritual ambience.

t.bridgesii is used as a hedge. Slow to grow, but keeps people and animals out once it does grow

One site you may want to look at is the plants for a future webpage www.pfaf.org

Their database contains 7000 plants (not just ethno's) with an amazing search engine. You can select for "hedgeable plants", various medicinal uses (ex. hypnotic, hallucinogen, analgesic), hardyness, height and many other attributes and it will spit out a list of plants that match what you want. Clicking on advanced search gives you even more options. Unfortunately they don't seem to list very many enthoegenic plants, but they are a good link for plant people, especially if your into permaculture.

i seem to recall people made hedges out of khat. Don't know how they would fare with frosts however mine seems to be taking off. good luck anyway

Heimia myrtifolia or salicifolia maby?

Is this restricted to entheogens or is it open to pharmacognacy too? Theres many medicinal bushes.

do you have any desfontainia T?

no, mine just died. they can't handle the hot summers here.

i seem to recall people made hedges out of khat. Don't know how they would fare with frosts however mine seems to be taking off. good luck anyway

khat was my first thought, but low growing plants can't handle frost.

stuff

Edited by spudamore

do you know where i could get some desfontainia?

nope. I bought them all and their source's plant had died in the drought.

i rekon red khat would be a most beautiful hedge.

but depends how intense ur frosts are.

Pachanoi would definately make a frost resistant hedge!

u could definately use acacias from ur area!!!(a shamanic var. even better)ive seen an acacia hedge and they look tops in flower, bringing birds and all kind of wildlife to ur house.

callistemons(bottlebrush) make great hedges and bring lots of beautiful birds around.

I can't say that I've ever seen Moso or any other running type bamboo (like P. aurea or "Golden" which is the more common running one you see in suburbia) ever penetrate a properly installed HDPE barrier. Running bamboo is not a plant and forget type hedge. It requires work to keep it controlled but a trimmed hedge is even worse in my opinion in terms of the work required to keep it controlled and in check and looking good. At least with bamboo the work needs to be done at ground level rather than requiring a step ladder etc.

The running bamboos are quite tame if you also bother to thin out or harvest the culms yearly so that its vigour is contained. HDPE barriers should always emerge above ground and it is expected that the runners will go over it. The HDPE should always run upwards towards the soil away from the roots and not be the other way around encouraging roots to dive under it.

The runners just need to be trimmed at the edge of the HDPE where it will go over the top. When cut the growth cannot continue in the same direction but rather at 90 degrees to the cut which keeps the bamboo in the zone you want.

You can opt for so called "non-invasive" clumping bamboos, but in my experience while they don't send out runners they have very powerful roots which can break a concrete or brick wall barrier. I've seen a large timor black bamboo bulging out a brick retaining wall.

The running bamboos will always form a grove quicker and can make a very quick and dense 6 to 8 metre tall hedge in 5 years or so. There are many good clumping ones though that it's probably worth using one of those over a running one. If you do get lazy then running bamboo can become a real problem for you and your neighbours. Just remember that a 'normal' hedge requires quite alot of maintenance too.

t.bridgesii is used as a hedge. Slow to grow, but keeps people and animals out once it does grow

Keep people out??? Once a few kids in the area ID'd and spread the word you'd have plenty of people in your garden under moonlight hacking of years worth of growth :wink: