The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

chroming

when i was a kid, in london in the late 70's there weren't many back alleys that didn't exhibit the symptoms ov sniffing glue. we all tried it. it died out in the 80's. now it's called chroming & even in the relatively 'good' suburb ov essendon i see fresh evidence every day around the railway station.

given that the kids who grew up w/out sniffing all seemed to be alot more conformist/boring compared to the previous generation(despite the brain damage), i can only see this chroming as a good thing.

Guest Mesqualero

Whoever is stupid enough to partake in chroming deserves the brain damage they get...

Darwinism

but stupid people start breeding at half the age of intelligent people and have twice as many kids.

i thought chroming had something to do with paint that had chromium in it? no diff, you'd be real fucked to do it either way.

just an observation

maybe in the 70's, many alley ways,

now, right outside the front of safeway,

one lonely 20-something, yellin' n' hollerin'

mouth all frosty

or you just see flannelette shirt wearing hobo's wondering around King George Square with Coke Bottles filled with Gold Spray paint.

-bumpy

Guest Mesqualero
Originally posted by MrBumpy:

or you just see flannelette shirt wearing hobo's wondering around King George Square with Coke Bottles filled with Gold Spray paint.

-bumpy

Yeah hehe don't forget silver..

hmm.. that seemed to cause a reaction.

is no-one going to defend chromers rights?

how dangerous is chroming really?

could it be done more safely?

does it come out that badly when you compare it to drinking alcahol/meths? -i can tell you from expeerience that there are at least 100 times more people drinking metho than there are chroming, & most of them are over 30. our local coles stopped selling chrome paints at police request- even though there was no real interest in them; they have now stopped selling 500ml bottles ov metho, because they were selling over 100 bottles a week & it was getting obvious. i bet K-Mart still sell suspicious amounts ov NO2 bulbs -how dangerous to inhale that straight from the syphon- bong style?(answer-very; but i still know people that do it.)

& finally theres smoking- MJ smoke 6x denser than tabacco smoke? who'd be sane enuff to put that in their lungs?:o

K-mart doesn't sell nitrous bulbs anymore and in most other shops they are now behind the counter.

notrous is far less dangerous than butane. The strong effect of nitrous ensures that the user stops long before things get dangerous. The main danger with nitrous is the balloon method. And as such people who use this do not die from nitrous poisoning, but from CO2 poisoning. Nitrous given in a 80:20 mix with oxygen is quite harmless - harmless enough to be used in medicine. A similar mix with butane still has the potential to kill.

The argument about nitrous and butane has surfaced a few times here, but there really isn't one if you're looking at th relative safety of nitrous. What is killing people is not the nitrous, but the high prices and difficult availability. When I had nitrous at my disposal cheap and of high grade, I would have never considered using the balloon method. The oxygenated trip is MUCH more desirable and sustainable, and even the dumbest raver will work that out in due course.

I regard thenitrous issue very similar to the ecstacy issue. If we had the drug available in pure form, with the proper education, then there would be virtually no deaths. Just like most eccy deaths are NOT due to MDMA, neither are nitrous death due to nitrous. And yeah, don't even get me started on the crap inside those bulbs....

"i bet K-Mart still sell suspicious amounts ov NO2 bulbs"

N2O

N2O is nitrous oxide.

NO2 is nitrogen dioxide, a very corrosive and QUITE DEADLY red-brown gas used to manufacture nitric acid (I once breathed in a tiny bit of VERY DILUTE NO2 formed from a nitric acid reaction that went bad and I couldnt breathe properly for a month. More than 3 ppm in the workplace is illegal in the USA due to its health hazards.

The upper limit for workplace exposure to nitrous oxide is 50 ppm, and thats just because any more will make the workers get stoned.

"as a kid growing up in london in the 70s"

" chroming is a good thing"

shit man,thought youd be old enough to know better!!

maybe that glue did give you brain damage....

and kids...say NO to chemicals..and go the nature!!

Guest Mesqualero

The shop where I works sells heaps of nitrous biggrin.gif thats alot of cream being made at ungodly hours wink.gif

Guest reville

I used to love Nyangs on Acid and after cones ... ah what a ride

Bes way to use those cannisters is to go get a nice cream whipper bottle, chuck in 2 or 3 cannisters and allow to return to room temp then imbibe during the peak of any other hallucinogenic experiences to nitrocharge it wink.gif

Could be dangerous but im still here

Never tried Butane, it sounded too toxic, at least N2O is a neurotransmitter (between the gyrae of the brain) - kind of like comparing DMT and Cyanide - both can alter reality but one your body can cope with and the other is a foreign poison.

mr b-capi- the sniffing did damage my brain, i never believed a word maggie thatcher said after. though i still loved/hated her as a strong woman.

i was stirring the pot. wink.gif

go with nature kids? MJ is natural(like tobacco) but does that make smoking MJ less harmful than sniffing butane?

i didn't know the n2o(thanks auxin again- i love you for teaching me these things) reference would cause such a stir. i wasn't saying n2o was dangerous, just inhaling a whole bulb sraight from the syphon- as a paralel to sniffing.

i'm not encouraging anyone to do anything, but i am wondering how the different drugs ov fasion through the years have affected the general behaviour ov thee generation using them; as a crude example 'dope smoking hippies' & 'glue sniffing punks'- do the drugs choose the culture or the culture choose the drugs?

& i appologise to anyone who is offended by the glorification ov life threatening habits.

[This message has been edited by nabraxas (edited 23 December 2002).]

"do the drugs choose the culture or the culture choose the drugs?"

Ahhh, a philosopher smile.gif

Good question. Pot smoking sub-cultures are largely peaceful, pacifist, and contemplative. Crack smoking sub-cultures are largely violent, gun toting fools that have a much higher tendancy to rob, rape, and kill. Speed-freak sub-cultures are often highly paranoid.

Do peaceful contemplatives gravitate toward pot because it compliments their mindset, or do people become more peaceful and contemplative because they smoke pot?

And what about the common attributes of the crack, speed, heroin, alcohol, and hallucinogen sub-cultures?

Are trippers trippy because they trip or do trippers trip because they are trippy?

I think in most cases its a mixture of both factors to a varying degree based on the drug in question and the individual. Based on what I have seen tweakers get most of their paranoia from the meth, whereas pot smokers start off a little more peaceful and contemplative than the average joe and they go toward drugs that compliment that state.

Of course generalizations are just that. I've known peaceful crackheads and violent stoners, but in areas I've been they seem to be their sub-cultures minorities- ie. the exception not the rule.

Dont freak- just my opinions, observations, and speculations. My apologies to any tweakers or crackheads I may have offended.

Originally posted by nabraxas:

go with nature kids? MJ is natural(like tobacco) but does that make smoking MJ less harmful than sniffing butane?

Of course Marihuana is way less harmful than sniffing glue.

as a crude example 'dope smoking hippies' & 'glue sniffing punks'- do the drugs choose the culture or the culture choose the drugs?

To me the 2 have very little to do with each other, completely different motivations and completely different outlook on life...

Just because the dumb, ignorant public opiinion throws everything in the same pot doesn't mean that there is any truth to it...

&

[This message has been edited by gomaos (edited 23 December 2002).]

i reckon that inhalants have probably got a bad rep partly due to the demographic using them: young, poor, undereducated etc etc. n2o and ether can both open the doors to some profound experiences. sure n2o is better for you than tolulene, but is ether better for you than butane? i wouldnt know, and most inhalant refs treat all inhalants (from nos to benzene) as equally nefarious apparently on the basis that they can all be inhaled and so must be the same. one thing i am sure of is that pulling out a bottle of ether (a dangerous and explosively volatile solvent) at a party will get a very different reaction from pulling out a canister of butane or a bag of aeroplane glue. whether this is justified on health grounds i dont know. i dont think ive experienced any long term problems from inhaling ether, but ive met many people who feel the same way about their youthful glue and butane exploits. im not encouraging inhalant abuse, it disgusts me, im just saying that im sure my disgust is at least partly due to social reasons. in reality i dont know whether asphixiating your brain with nos or anaethesising yourself with ether is much healthier than doing the same things with butane or many other inhalants.

Guest reville

re cannabis and peace

not necessarily. How about Rastafarians? Or the bad boy youth of PNG. And Ive read that Zulu warriors took a mix that included large amounts of THC before battle, perhaps the Scythians did too as they worked themselves into a frenzy.

And dont forget Manson and LSD and the Bloodthirsty Aztec civilisation despite their use of many of our 'Peace loving' hallucinogens

Rev - know it's off topic but glad to see you on-line - still owe you a psychotria - you home to receive postage? (Don't worry, I'll get someone more reliable on the job!)

"re cannabis and peace

not necessarily. How about Rastafarians?"

All the REAL rastas I've ever known who stuck to pot and stayed away from hard drugs were peace loving. Now the immitation rastas who thought the only teaching of the religion was taking massive quantities of dope, they are a different story.

sorry to labour the point, but-

"Of course Marihuana is way less harmful than sniffing glue."/butane.

-do we all agree w/that?

not me. i'm specifically talking about smoking MJ, which has much denser smoke than tabacco & which is 99% ov the time mixed w/that other 'natural' tabacco. therefore giving youngsters a nice nicotine habit as they start using.

the damage done by smoking, to ALL parts ov thee body is in my opinion much worse.

also most sniffers move on after time, whereas once u r hooked on tabacco as a youth it usually takes years to give up, the same is true to a lesser extent for MJ- so the damage done is usually over a much longer period ov time.

gomaos- i hope this thread isn't making you angry, i'm really playing devils advocate 'cus i find the views expressed interesting. but i really don't want to offend anyone.

i tend to agree w/auxin, that it's a little bit ov "like attracts like" in terms ov peoples drug choices.

i also knew many rastas in tottenham, london- it was rare to see them outside their circle, but they were generally pretty mellow. it was definately the crackheads you had to look out for. never seen a room at any party clear faster than when a guy pulls out his tinfoil & starts making a pintglass crackpipe

That´s all very well, but what about the "hashashins". Goes back a fair way, that lot.

And the Thugees in India use(d) cannabis in conjunction with datura for their initiations and their murders.

And I used those brackets for a very good reason.

There have also been examples of people going "crazy" after smoking pot and killing people. Of course, this depends on the individual imbalanced psyche.

And, yes, i believe there is evidence that the Saki (Scythians) used it as well, but I can´t remember the details.

The Scythians, when having buried a leader, supposedly threw Cannabis seeds on a small fire in a tent and inhaled the resulting smoke. There must have been some plant material covering those seeds.

Cheers

Ashoka

in a balancd individual pot will release dopamine and serotonin, and will bind to the anandamide receptors. This is what would usually cause a blissed, happy and lethargic state.

however, all you have to do is take the serotonin away and introduce some adrenaline (as is the case in warrior cultures) and suddenly the neurotransmitter profile looks more like that of a psychotic, paranoid and violent individual.

I think this is a good example of how the drug and the subculture are an entertwining feedback loop. Whatever came first is essential not important, but my opinion is that it is split somewhere down the middle. ie, there will be some trippy people who will eb drawn to acid, while there will be some straight people who take acid and suddenly become trippy. However once the first feedback step is done, it makes little difference to the end result. This may vary from drug to drug. ie, I think open minded yet active and motivated people will try pot, but may then end up being demotivated and 'laid back', and continuing the feedback loop by smoking more pot. But in general I feel that drugs and individuals 'find' each other according to their character.