The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Pereskiopsis Grafting Competition at EBA

Check this out: http://www.thenook.org/forum/index.php?sho...hl=pereskiopsis

Thats the nooks peres grafting comp, so we decided we would have one at EBA to celebrate being back.

http://www.ethnobotany-australia.org/index...19.new.html#new

If your keen to enter, can have as many or as few plants entered as you like, then sign up in that thread :D

There will be prizes for biggest loph after 1 year, first loph to flower and an "other" section for the most weird and wonderful cactus. Prizes so far include a slightly variegated trich cuzcoensis and 100 loph sp seeds. If you have somthing you can donate please pm a mod at eba :D a trophy would be cool :D

• Like 1

were pretty excited about this one... should be lots and lots of fun!

Interesting.

I told myself I wouldn't as I currently have no grafting or loph growing experience, but then I realised that's probably all the more reason to give it a go!

S'pose I'll register to this EBA forum then..

here is a pic of 11months growth from a ~0.5cm pup. does anyone think i have a chance?

post-117-1163595546_thumb.jpg

here is a pic of 11months growth from a ~0.5cm pup. does anyone think i have a chance?

I was thinking that maybe a merry rodent or bird was sampling your grafted loph till I realised you've probably been taking areolar grafts?

Could you fill us in on how you do an areolar graft. I'm thinking along the lines of getting one of those lino carving U-shaped knives to take the grafts. The ones we used to use at school for lithography prints.

But to what do you graft it and how?

Cheers.

Yeah sirLSD nice graft :D You can sow seeds no earlier then the 18th of jan, so if you think you can get them big enough to graft so they will get big then thats cool :) Is it hydro? What you could do is graft to peres then regraft onto a trich. The guys at the nook were getting to about 6cm after 1 year, flowers in about 3-4 months if i remember correctly.

Sobriquet I think those holes are from where he has removed pups not areoles.

the holes are where ive been cuttting out new pups that start forming and throwing them away. i dig them out as soon as they start to form. otherwise i end up with one solid mass with no individual pups that can be removed and planted.

yes it is soilless.

i have no peres to graft seedlings too so will have to do them straight onto trich

It surprises me how many people have seed, I didnt think there were that many around.

Anyone need a few hundred Withania seed or anything? :lol:

sirLSD planthelper has pereskiopsis plants available for $5, they grow really fast, eg I took cuttings about a week ago and they are rooted and growing now, and they have grown about 1cm and they will speed up significantly. But yeah if you want you can graft straight onto a trich, your growth looks good.

Guest RedHead
the holes are where ive been cuttting out new pups that start forming and throwing them away. i dig them out as soon as they start to form. otherwise i end up with one solid mass with no individual pups that can be removed and planted.

yes it is soilless.

i have no peres to graft seedlings too so will have to do them straight onto trich

:o SirLSD what setup are you using? It's obviously brilliant. Got a tek for your setup somewhere? cheers. Red.

Edited by RedHead

:o SirLSD what setup are you using? It's obviously brilliant. Got a tek for your setup somewhere? cheers. Red.

lol. not brilliant. its a small pot with heaps of ~4mm holes poked through it. filled with expanded clay balls. put in a 2L icecream container. it now has an air hose in it but it didnt before. icecream container is half filled with a .5 to .75 strength flowering hydro fert or cacti and suculent liquid fert. solution topped up with water when it gets low. solution changed maybe once every month or two. no TDS or pH measurements taken.

ideally if i wasnt lazy i would keep controll of pH and TDS levels and change the solution a lot more frequently. the roots arent a nice healthy white and rot sometimes but it only needs a few roots to draw enough water and nutrients for it. it has grown having no air and no water changes for 3 months at a time.

though i will be taking more care if i enter the graft competition.

Yeah sirLSD nice graft :D You can sow seeds no earlier then the 18th of jan, so if you think you can get them big enough to graft so they will get big then thats cool :) Is it hydro? What you could do is graft to peres then regraft onto a trich. The guys at the nook were getting to about 6cm after 1 year, flowers in about 3-4 months if i remember correctly.

i'm confused now to when we are allowed to sow, as i thought we are allowed to sow as followes...

So following in the same flavour this competition will be run as follows:

Date: Competition starts on the 1st of Feb 2007, you are allowed to sow seeds from the 4th of Jan 2007, but cannot graft until after the 1st of Feb 2007. It will finish a week before the 4th 2008 so that the winners can be named and receive their prizes before the next one starts.

i'm confused now to when we are allowed to sow, as i thought we are allowed to sow as followes...

Yep, that's correct planthelper. The 18th of Jan was the previous sowing date, but it got moved back to the 4th to give people more time if they want.

IMO sowing date doesn't make all that much difference, what matters is the grafting date. A good graft can catch up with months of non-grafted growth pretty damn quick.

Is it just me or is EBA down??? I cannot access it. If it is down then we should delay the start methinks. Anyway you can sow seeds from tomorrow the 4th january.

Greetings all !

Teo I am having the same problem with EBA. The website appeared briely last night again but was not an updated version (some recent posts werent included)... I am sure somebody is working on it.

SirLSD that's a great photo! Just incredible,... I had no idea a can of coke had 39.8g of carbohydrates. :rolleyes: Yeah I thought there may have been a slim chance for a newbie such as myself winning one of the categories in the comp , but that photo shatters every little bit of hope I may have had. :worship:

Ah damn, looks like I will have to drop out of the comp :rolleyes:

Havent had the time (or really money) to order seeds :( It crept up so quickly.. Unless anyone local has some spare Loph/Trich/Ario seeds that they are willing to trade asap? Will have a spare bit of time Monday coming to catch up and trade..Pm if interested..

Good luck everyone. I look forward to watching this progress.

dont drop out just yet man try get some seeds. Sowing can begin tomorrow as planned but I might delay the start or grafting a few weeks if eba is still down.

dont drop out just yet man try get some seeds. Sowing can begin tomorrow as planned but I might delay the start or grafting a few weeks if eba is still down.

Yep it's down for me too.

But I can't see any need to delay the grafting unless it's still down in a couple of weeks.

Don't forget you don't need a whole month for the pre-grafting phase.