The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
aceishigh

whipped cream?

recently interested in whipping cream and wondering if anyone can reccommend the names of possible brands of bulbs that could be used in sydney and which shops might supply them. any information regarding tools to open the bulbs and where such tools might be available would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance

recently interested in whipping cream and wondering if anyone can reccommend the names of possible brands of bulbs that could be used in sydney and which shops might supply them. any information regarding tools to open the bulbs and where such tools might be available would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Haha..

I used to whip a bit of cream in the day.. :lol:

But that was a long time ago, and chances are there is a more appropriate solution, or that this option doesn't exist any more - but when I was a teenager I used to get the bulbs from the local supermarket. I think I used to get them from the 'service desk'.

Edited by Pelinster

The cream I have been whipping of late has been created by the special folk of iSi, although all manufacturers should stipulate N20. In my opinion the resultant cream only ever tastes effective when you have ingested a suitable main course. If the desert is eaten in place of the main then you may be left feeling empty and unsatisfied!

I tried supermarkets, all I got was "We dont sell them anymore cause stupid kids use them to get high!" accompanied by an angry stare. :scratchhead: Crazy people

Google catering supplies or other such search engine if you have just watched the same documentary that I have and visit your local Op-shop!

$2.50 for a sheik retro anadonised blue aluminium bulborator!

I tried supermarkets, all I got was "We dont sell them anymore cause stupid kids use them to get high!" accompanied by an angry stare. :scratchhead: Crazy people

Oh No! Getting High! I have no idea exactly what 'getting high' means, but I know those darn kids should not be doing it!

i think IGA stock bulbs and you can probably get the bulborators from ebay or something. just remember that prolonged consumption of whipped cream deletes B12.

re bulborators... i mate alerted me to the filthy silver coating that accumulates inside the cannister. if you run your finger inside the cannister you'll know what i mean. is this stuff dangerous? methinks it'd be safe, only because the intended use is with food, but still it's a bit worrying and worth asking about.

My friend bought a whole carton... you don't need any special licenses, order straight from the wholesaler. Pool your money or sell them at earthcore... hehe

My mate is a chef :P

It's a paradise/oasis out the back of that particular kitchen I hear :wink:

Anyone know where to get those nifty Crackers

Anyone know where to get those nifty Crackers

I've wanted one of those for the last 20 years, but luck has always been against me. I still want one of those.....

I've wanted one of those for the last 20 years, but luck has always been against me. I still want one of those.....

They are available in New Zealand...

From my experience the crackers ain't that great. Although you can replace the rubber thing they wear fairly quickly and leak, and can be hard to set up properly.

The bulbs, though, are able to be bought from IGA and Maxifoods in Vic.

The local greek takeaway sells them down here. They go through cartons of them. Lots of people like their cream :shroomer:

nos sweet nos

:drool:

Homemader_Cracker.bmpI made my own with an L shaped peice of PVC!

I will try an draw a diagram!

Pretty much just sealed one end Drilled a hole in the top

and put a grommet in the hole, Directly under this hole

I put thru a sharp screw!

So all I do Is put a balloon over the open end

Insert bulb into hole turn screw which peirces bulb

and Presto B)

Homemader_Cracker.bmp

Homemader_Cracker.bmp

Thanks for all the great info. Might be pushing my luck but thought id ask anyway. Just say one had acquired some nice ISI Bulbs from the local iga (thanks again) and has no equipment other than an old fashioned soda water thingy (the bulbs seem to fit but dont have a screw thingy - will the pressure in my hand keep it on? i dont want a steel bulb lodged in my skull), how might they be effectively opened without enough time to build a homemade cracker? anyone got experience with the type of pressure inside? whats the mechanism like, is it just a matter of depressing the centre bit of the business end? As mentioned previously i dont want any emergency room visits at the moment but am really keen to get whipping.

Thanks in advance

There is a fair bit of pressure in them and if you don't have the appropriate screw fitting I wouldn't suggest using it. On a happy not however your catering supplies shop should have all the replacement parts that you need to retro-fit your bulborator for less than $10. My catering supply shop has O-rings, springs, screw fittings for a range of bulborators including iSi.

If you're not sure about the servicability of your 'nang machine' as WA folk often call them, one thing you should definitely check is whether or not a proper seal will be formed around the bulb. You don't want freezing gas leaking all over your hand when you are loading it up.

thanks creach i hadnt thought of that. actually the seal looks pretty good but the pressure of my hand wont break the seal on the bulb anyways (and im by no means a prawn arm:) Looks like the bulbs are designed to fit but there is a screw on the outside of the apparatus which makes me think there is a bit missing (a bit that holds the bulb in and screws onto the apparataus). btw does anyone know if the bulb mechanism is an all on or off thing or if it works by degrees?

Aceishigh > Post #20

Well, All kitchen whiolesalers will stock the bulbs and the actual crean dispensers which are the best for cracking in my opinion.

they cost between 30 (for the white ceramic ones) and 75 for the big stainless steel ones, But I seen 3 at my local 2nd hand shop for 10 each

If in adelaide the service station in North Adelaide sells them, but got to ask at the counter, and endure some weird counter clerk making wild remarks about people getting wasted and muttering inaudable critisims under his breath :bong:

in a strange fit of desperation i once ran out of balloons and used one of those 'crackers' to whip the cream straight into my mouth... cold burned the back of my throat and woke up...