The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MORG

P. subaeruginosa

Well, with the recent rain in and around Sydney and the promise of more to come I've been keeping my eyes glued to the ground.

I've noticed a fair bit of fungal growth occurring on some bark garden beds but no subs yet. I was wondering if there were perhaps any species which were known to occur commonly with P. subs? If so, I might get a better idea of where to look if I could ID commonly co-occuring species.

Edited by MORG

Well, with the recent rain in and around Sydney and the promise of more to come I've been keeping my eyes glued to the ground.

I've noticed a fair bit of fungal growth occurring on some bark garden beds but no subs yet. I was wondering if there were perhaps any species which were known to occur commonly with P. subs? If so, I might get a better idea of where to look if I could ID commonly co-occuring species.

I have it on good authority Homo sapiens are a good indicator species for this particular basidiocarp

:innocent_n:

WR

LOL - also Hypholoma/Stropharia aurantiaca

If I know there's P. sub mycelium in a patch (maybe they've already fruited once) and the patch gets some rain, what is a realistic time to wait before I could expect to see mature fruit?

I realise this will be wildly variable with substrate, weather, individual etc. but I have no idea of even a ballpark figure.

Is overnight out of the question? Perhaps three-four days before you should even begin looking? Any ideas/thoughts/knowledge? Or perhaps this is far too variable to even begin generalising?

What if I'd found some pins growing on a bed of woodchips...

Could I (and I'm not planning on doing this, just interested in what ifs and the wonderful world of fungi) transfer the pins and the bits of wood they are on to another location? Would it be possible for these fruits to mature (given a conducive environment) after being removed from the majority of the mycelial network?

Any ideas?

Could I (and I'm not planning on doing this, just interested in what ifs and the wonderful world of fungi) transfer the pins and the bits of wood they are on to another location? Would it be possible for these fruits to mature (given a conducive environment) after being removed from the majority of the mycelial network?

My guess would be no, for two possible reasons:

1. The removal of the support system of the mycelium would prevent the necessary nutrients getting to the pins

2. The remaining mycelium could possibly provide enough nutrients however the shock of ripping it up will probably cause the pins to abort.

The season is over?? :o

Yep it looks like that is the case...no fungal growth of any other species either...a patrol of the pine forests revealed little to no action of any mushrooms. Seems the season is quite short and the flushes are close together. I would assume the cue to fruit is the first cool snap in Autumn and then after 2 -3 flushes they are done for the season.

H.

Yep it looks like that is the case...no fungal growth of any other species either...a patrol of the pine forests revealed little to no action of any mushrooms. Seems the season is quite short and the flushes are close together. I would assume the cue to fruit is the first cool snap in Autumn and then after 2 -3 flushes they are done for the season.

H.

There were quite a few mushrooms when I went yesterday. Sadly all the lactarius was rotten to the point of nothing and any actives were well and truly absent. Sigh.

From the little that ive researched on the mushrooms, i was under the impression that all that was needed was the right climate/micro-climate along with a good bit of rain, assuming the temperatures were right? Isnt that the reason why subs in some areas fruit much earlier than the forecasted winter?

Peace

^ Pretty much on the money, but it seems (to those I know at least) that 'a good bit of rain' is something Subs aren't so fond of, at least in terms of lasting more than a few hours without turning to mush. That experience seems contradictory to all info I've read about Subs, so believe what you wish.

Probably. Might be the odd straggler here or there, but they'll probably be confined to a manicured garden or two.

im still finding them... (subs)

but id have to say its basically over. In Canberra they're only showing up in sheltered areas under trees.

if u still have any casuarina/pinetree spots left, u can cover pins and create fruiting patches that will reach maturity by creating loose mounds with very wet pine needles. keep them moist n fruits should come.

here's a pic of how to 'hump' them;) and another of the goodies u can find by helping nature along

08july09mush011.th.jpg

08july09mush010.th.jpg

Edited by G*P

Aww well that's pretty annoying if it's over. I found none :(

In my experience the majority of subs come with the first decent rains and cold snap in Autumn... whenever that comes... anytime from April on. The season here in Southern NSW great divide area is pretty much over. Only decaying old ones and stunted freshies around and very few of them.

I used to live in the blue mountains and found that by this time of year they were mostly gone too.. also further out around oberon, hampton etc.

I figure the season lasts for around 10 - 12 weeks and depends alot on rains/temps during that time for a good season or a poor one.

This is just what I have noticed when I've been hunting though. Perhaps they are still fruiting well in other niches? It would seem to me however that other mushrooms are now around... ones that prefer the cold and not quite as much moisture as early Autumn.

all IMHO of course

I wonder how the season is going in SA now they have had some decent rain ?, I would have thought they might have had a later season than eastern NSW? & VIC because of the difference in climate ?

Still around in wollongong... been a good season so far.

Awaiting more rain!