The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bℓσωηG

Man Builds ‘Hobbit House’ for Just £3,000

thats awesome I would love to build something like that. Would never pass council regs in Australia but. There would be 20 grand worth of relaxation fees in that job. lol

• Like 1

Would never pass council regs in Australia but. There would be 20 grand worth of relaxation fees in that job. lol

That's why you build far into the bush, and tell no-one, and have all the plant species you desire. :) .

:)

• Like 3

That is so cool. Wish I had the time to acheive this..... Fuck council regulations!!!!

haha i want a hobbit house :)

He said: ‘Being your own have-a-go architect is a lot of fun and allows you to create and enjoy something which is part of yourself and the land rather than, at worst, a mass-produced box designed for maximum profit and the convenience of the construction industry.

True that. The majority of builders - not the designers - in this country (and I assume the UK by the sounds of it) are truly uninspired bogans. Many great architects/owners/designers coming up with innovative designs...but our builders have a 'fast food' mentality when it comes to construction and won't touch a design they can't quickly turn around...no craftsmanship.

Then there are councils...hoi

Bring on libertarian architecture - fuck the councils, fuck the builders.

• Like 1

That's why you build far into the bush, and tell no-one, and have all the plant species you desire. :) .

:)

can't get away with that anymore, satellite photography is used extensively by councils nowadays :unsure:

Coober Pedy is an example of this done mainstream for many many years. Mind you i have heard Coober Pedy aint a nice place to live. I think most people dream of a cave or a cellar type room/house. I know i have since childhood dreamed of a safe place under or in somewhere (not including sex : ).

WA has a big problem. My friend who has 5 houses just sold a shithole in Tuart Hill for 470K. It was one of 4 on the block so just a strata title basically. So for the average joe he on a typical mortgage will pay 1.5 million just to own that shithole in 30 years. To me there is something radically wrong with that logic. Our premier Barnett wants to advertise the riches of WA. At the moment the average rental is about $450 per week. When the renters turn up to try rent there are about 40 people trying to get a rental house. This is 2012. Apparently another million are going to be here within the decade. Where will they live. WA will not allow shanty towns like Brazil but 4 million people in or close to a little pimple like perth is similar to Sao Paulo but on a smaller and ego centric scale.

Where is the equality in life where in perth it is actually cheaper to buy and mortgage than it is to rent due to shortage. Isnt the point of renting actually the fact its a cheaper option. In my opinion something is radically wong and sooner or later something is going to pop. I dont know when but WA is unsustainable. There is going to be a serious bust soon. Personally i dream of that day. I couldnt give a rats ass if i have to live hard. I want this serious gluttony and greed to eat shit for once and soon.

Im lucky. I have owned a house before but i sold. I rent now for $350 per week a house and i know i have it good. But $700 per fortnight is alot alot of money. Way to much. I never wanted to but i think im going to have to swallow my pride and buy a shipping container and get a loan for a caravan and move to the back of my parents house with mu daughter at 38 years of age. I find that shameful. But mayby im going to have to swallow my pride and just thank god im alive and healthy and have a caravan roof over my head and my childs and stick my finger up at this fucked up monetary world we all glady bow down to and suck its dick. Fuck money i say, fuck greed.

I have paid $350 dollars per week for 6 years. 17000 per year. $85000 in total over 6. Cant get a home loan as im too poor cant get government assistance cos im too rich. I tell you what im not too far from living on the streets either. Mayby one bad break. Do you think $85000 dollars gives me enough street credit to be homeless? 17K per year and im nearly homeless........sheesh.

• Like 1

I've visited a similar project in the riverina, nsw. they had storage containers dropped into the side of a hill and covered leaving one side as a porch/balcony with several skylights leaving through the earth (2.5ft) to provide lighting. It's a bush job, well hidden, and provided the couple with the best holiday house and views I've ever seen. All up from memory they spent $60k incl land (beautiful hilly forest). Hopefully from the above post I haven't said too much... Land was a private sale also...

Santiago, that sucks man. That maths just ruined my head ay, such stupid numbers of cash (profit no doubt) for a human necessity/right.

My sister is currently livin in Fremantle.. She pays 350$ by herself for a 2bed house. I almost lost my shit when she referred to it as cheap, even turned down my offer to move her back east into an appt with me for $115 a week, including water views, which she respectably denied :-( crazy prices for you guys.

Just remember you'll never lose your true pride mate, just the pride the system makes you think you have

U can alays move to where I am and rent a 3 bedroom house on an acre for under $200 :)

Only prob is you have to drive 30mins to one hour

For

Work :)

But be warned its a bushranger town :)

Central west NSW hey incog? Can only dream of paying $200 bucks man. Life drags you under though. New job, child set in school, lifelong friends close by, family, familiarity....takes alot of guts or stupidity or a kind measure of both to flip that coin. I have alot of respect for coin flippers.

Mind you my real problem in WA is finding a gullible girlfriend. Not for the sex and companionship, simply to pay half the rent : )

• Like 1

Mind you I go halves with my nephew on a 4 bedroom house on 2 acres with a pool for 120 dollars a week......

I just couldn't pay those retarded city prices anymore. Though I guess the expense is made up for with fuel costs. I spend around 100 dollars Ifnot more on fuel getting to work and back each week.

I'm hopefully going to be buying a nice place next year, whether it be in the Brisbane area or here.

U can get a decent place on acreage here for around 150k. The only thing keeping me here is the cost of living and I'm lucky enough to have a good job. There aren't a hell of a lot of decent paying jobs around, but then again there aren't to many people around who are willing to have a go, so of you have a modicum of a work ethic you will do fine.

I guess lifelong fiend and family nearbye is priceless though... Ales a village to raise a child a they say. I'm at the start of a thought to move to Brisbane and starting again, to be closer to my child, it's the living expenses that has me scared, but then again living near and being part of your child's life doesn't hold monetary value. I'll be forsaking family, life long friends, a good career and familiarity but I hope to gain with more time spent with my kid.

So I guess I'll save save save this year as money will give me options, the main one being to buy a house close to my kid.

Edited by incognito

Different couple, but told to pull down their hobbit house

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382684/Charlie-Hague-Megan-Williams-told-pull-hobbit-home-entirely-natural-materials.html

Eco-couple told to pull down their 'hobbit home' made entirely out of natural materials . . . but without planning permission

• Family of three is made homeless by planning inspector's decision
  • They built their home from scratch, but have been ordered to tear it down
  • The couple admit they built it without first getting planning permission
  • Their labour of love was branded 'harmful' to the countryside

article-2382684-1B193761000005DC-146_306

Homeless: Charlie Hague and Megan Williams, with their only child Eli, have been left homeless

A young couple have been left heartbroken after planners ordered their unique 'hobbit home' to be bulldozed, effectively leaving them homeless.

Charlie Hague and Megan Williams, both 25, built the roundhouse from scratch with their own hands, using only natural materials.

But the couple lost their appeal today against a planning enforcement notice telling them to tear their pride and joy home down.

Charlie and Megan, who have a one-year-old son Eli, built the house on private land in Glandwr, North Pembrokeshire, last summer.

Locals nicknamed it the hobbit home, although most people did not even know it was there because it is so secluded.

But Pembrokeshire County Council ordered the couple to demolish their home because it was built without planning permission.

Charlie and Megan, who live a self-sufficient lifestyle, fought the decision claiming it had a low impact on the environment because of its unique construction.

Charlie, a sculptor and woodworker, said: 'We built this house to provide our son with a healthy environment to grow up in.

'We were born in the area, went to school here, and have lived here all our lives. We wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.'

The pair acknowledged their property was built without prior consent but said there was no other way for them to afford their own home.

Megan said: 'I know it’s not a possibility for everyone, and our situation here is unique, but if young people are to live and work in the area they need somewhere to live.'

The couple’s appeal was dismissed by planning inspector Iwan Lloyd, who ruled the development harmed the character and appearance of the countryside.

The inspector upheld the council’s enforcement notice, which requires the roundhouse and all associated work, including the timber decking, be demolished.

article-2382684-1B193746000005DC-741_634

Middle Earth: Charlie Hague and Megan Williams' home has been compared to a hobbit's. The couple have been ordered to tear their idyllic dwelling down

The order gives the couple two months to return the land to its previous condition.

Mr Lloyd’s report stated: 'The character and appearance of the countryside should be protected for its intrinsic sake.

'The benefits of a low-impact development do not outweigh the harm to the character and appearance of the countryside.'

Friends said the couple were half expecting their appeal to be turned down but were still 'devastated' by the decision.

article-2382684-1B193924000005DC-594_634

Unique: The couple's front room, complete. They started building their house using only naturally resourced materials last year

article-2382684-1B1937F5000005DC-258_634

Treebeard: The couple have used a whole tree as a supporting structure for their home, fondly nicknamed the 'hobbit house' by locals

article-2382684-1B193876000005DC-230_634

Killjoy council: The couple have been unable to convince the authorities of the merits of their eco friendly house

One friend said: 'They are heartbroken - the roundhouse is a thing of great beauty which they put their hearts and souls into.

'They are a young couple who should be applauded for solving their own housing issues by creating a sustainable home out of local materials.

'Instead they are now facing the prospect of watching it being razed to the ground.'

The couple have one last chance - they have applied for retrospective planning permission but their friends said they feared it was a lost cause.

article-2382684-1B19379E000005DC-990_634

Darkness falls: The lights will go out on the couple's home for good unless they can overturn the Planning Inspectorate's decision

Edited by bℓσωηG

The couple’s appeal was dismissed by planning inspector Iwan Lloyd, who ruled the development harmed the character and appearance of the countryside.

The feckers...sounds like they couldn't get them on grounds of sanitary or safety standards, so it now harms aesthetics....fckn hell.

I really do have a dislike for Planners at times....I particularly dislike the inconsistencies of decisions made in some areas.

• Like 1

The feckers...sounds like they couldn't get them on grounds of sanitary or safety standards, so it now harms aesthetics....fckn hell.

I really do have a dislike for Planners at times....I particularly dislike the inconsistencies of decisions made in some areas.

come on mate, be real about this. how is his neighbour supposed to have a conclusive wank driving down the street with that ditch in his field of view?

as any tolkien fan knows it's not called a hobbit-house, it's called a hobbit-hole. the word hobbit comes from rohirric for hole-dweller or hole-builder [/nerd]

I can see both sides of the argument here

Edited by NegativeDave
  • Like 1