The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SWIM Recently planted 3 different Khat plants in the front yard (silly i know).

Recently in this area many African immigrants have moved into the street and continually walk past foaf's house to go to the bus stop / shops....

I am sure you can see where i am going here... FOAF came home from work one day to find 1 of the 3 plants missing and a rather large hole cleanly cut out of the ground left.

The strangeness of the hole is what surprised foaf the most, i mean they literary dug a bucket sized hole, a massive whopping hole enough to expose roots of other plants.... why did they take all that dirt for a tiny little rooted khat cutting 0_o

Now the fact that they left the dirt is a good sign at least they didn't pull the plant from the ground and start chewing it there on the spot.....

The most interesting thing about the encounter is that foaf had 3 species of khat, thin stemmed, green stemmed and red stemmed, thing is they only took the red stemmed and left the rest, after speaking to a member it seems that is the only species they can identify i find that rather interesting.

It has been about 1-2 weeks since this happened, and swim left the other 2 plants in the same location they still haven't been touched (green stem and skinny stem).

Obviously its clear it was the Africans that stole it, but a strange thing happened the other day also, swim was gardening in the front yard and two teenage Africans walked past, swim stared at them then started at the spot where the plant was, stared at them again and then the ground did this a few times then the older one said to the younger one to "hurry up" in English, and they both power walked past my house..... so obviously they know something about my plant.... ( not that anyone is going to go all vigilant on them with a garden fork, it was just rather strange how swim could "Sense" there guilt)...... It seems the entire comunity work in togeather... really i imagine they can source there own..... it seems not, that one plant must be the vocal point of the entire african community in my area.... I just wanna see it grow honestly they can keep it 0_o...

It is sad for if they simply knocked on my door swim would of happily gave them a cutting......

2776535-Stay_away_from_Khat_Djibouti.jpg

so it has been told....

anyway my little bitch for the week

fucken bastards.....

-V

thats how i got half of what i've got in my yard. you knock and the door and ask politely, i think ive been refused twice!

We have a problem with certain people around here gang bashin and stealing.. its a sad story..

i do believe that the red strain is the most desired in africa

sad to hear, but I admire your positive attitude. guess many migrants don't feel 100% part of the community in oz (and other western nations for that matter), and don't think twice about ripping someone off. would be great if more migrants became part of the local ethno community, lots of knowledge to share from different parts of the world. I wonder how they would react if you approached them and offered cuttings to grow?

I'm sure that the members of your neighbourhood probably don't have the network available to source rooted seedlings.......... which makes me think you should get a bit enterprising. Grow dozens of them to a healthy young rooted stage (um, in your backyard this time) and have a bit of a nursery sale to those who might wish to grow their own. If the African community is as tightly-knit as you suggest, you'll only need to tell a few key people and the others will follow. In a few years your neighbourhood will be super-rich in Catha, you'll get to know your neighbourhood a lot better, and everyone will be happy.

I'm interested though, why are they so into it ? I thought Khat was only chewed socially in Yemen ?

i read a buddhist tale once about how thiefs broke in stole a monks clock... all the monk could do was smile and be happy for the thiefs that now they would have a clock so they would know the time!Sorry for yr misfortune!

Im sure if I was a teenager and was walking past a house and some weirdo was staring at me and then a hole in the ground and then back at me repeatedly, I would be getting out of there quickly too.

i read a buddhist tale once about how thiefs broke in stole a monks clock... all the monk could do was smile and be happy for the thiefs that now they would have a clock so they would know the time!Sorry for yr misfortune!

Hmmm that reminds me of something. A guy I used to know had his pushbike stolen, and his only response was "Well, I guess they needed it more than I did".

Shame, it sucks to have stuff pinched. But at least it was only a plant and they didn't rob your house or something.

I know what you mean about just asking for a cutting - I've done just that a bunch of times (usually for brugs and cacti) and I've never been refused. More often than not the owner is really lovely and keen for a brief chat too, or else they're just like "sure help yourself" and that's that. Just a plant after all, but a damn shame to have the whole thing ripped up and stolen after nurturing it.

khat is popular in many countries, yemen is just the most extreme example.

IME they know there are other varieties but they seem to believe that red is the best. dried material gets imported but IME they don't know how to source plants.

interesting story, psylo's idea sounds pretty good too

I think they just found out how to source plants TI :P

jokes aside I like the philosophy that if someone steals something from you they think they need it more than you, it can be really hard to practice sometimes... but I find I get a lot more offended by deception than from theft. It's just unfortunate a lot of the time where there's theft deception is right behind him.

I prefer to think they left the other two for you. They didn't steal all three but only took the minimum that they thought they had to(i'd say the majority of the general population have nfi about cuttings).

it was just rather strange how swim could "Sense" there guilt

Haha yes, you could "sense" their guilt by looking at the color of their skin. :P

Last year my neighbor stole my only ethno plants.. two little TBMs and a red spined peruvian.

Long story short, I went over and looked in there yard and one of the TBM's was sitting right there.. I knocked on the door and asked for my other plants back, and the guy looked sheepish and like he was going to get them, but then his wife came out, denied everything, told me she was offended, and started abusing me.

Anyway, sucks when stuff like that happens to your babies, good thing you still had cuttings of the same plant though.

Long story short, I went over and looked in there yard and one of the TBM's was sitting right there.. I knocked on the door and asked for my other plants back, and the guy looked sheepish and like he was going to get them, but then his wife came out, denied everything, told me she was offended, and started abusing me.

so did you get your cacti back or what?

why is it clear the africans stole it? white people like amphetamines also, and there once was a white kid stealing leaves from the botanical gardens here. anyone who isn't into bottany would find the red variety easiest to identify. i agree there is certainly a fair chance that it was, but with no proof and blanket blaiming on 'the africans' i find the way you say that a little mean as im sure a entire continent of people didn't rob you for your plant.

anyway, im sorry someone stole from you. hopefully they grow the plant up themselves and don't feel the need to do it again

so did you get your cacti back or what?

I got the one TBM I saw sitting there by their door, but I couldn't find the other one and the peruvian (and obviously they denied having them)

She said she had documentation that proved the one I was holding in my hand was actually hers! :P

Maybe you could leave a positive little sign explaining that knocking on the door and asking for permission would have been the polite thing to do? They might just not have understood that this is an acceptable to way ask (of course there's no guarantee a person will oblige, but still). It's not like things like that are something on an immigration information booklet. And you'd go a long way in helping them understand that not all "aussies" are heartless bastards who don't want them here :)

You'd no doubt garner respect from other passers-by, too, which would make everyone more likely to leave you and your house/plants alone.

You'd no doubt garner respect from other passers-by, too, which would make everyone more likely to leave you and your house/plants alone.

or draw unwanted attention to your plants? with ethnos I guess its best not to put them in the front yard.

I got the one TBM I saw sitting there by their door, but I couldn't find the other one and the peruvian (and obviously they denied having them)

She said she had documentation that proved the one I was holding in my hand was actually hers! :P

that is such poor form, I can't believe your neighbour would be so brazen about stealing something from you. moral: befriend our neighbours if they can see our plants?

I meant for plants in general but I should've made that clearer :)

vual what were you thinking? there are hundreds of reports of khat thieft from front yards, the info is here and on the news every few years but i suppose we all make mistakes.

the fault is yours not the africans in the kindest way.

15 years back there was a plethora of khats in perth front yards and yes in particular i myself as a caucasion ate a few of these leafs but i never invaded a property or brought a ladder which is commonplace or was. Indeed i was introduced to khat from an african so i only have gratitude for the culture, however my friend the african did tell me he had inherant mistrust of his country people as once they found one they had no interest in taking cuttings etc and basically just ate them to a stump.

why is it clear the africans stole it? white people like amphetamines also

sure they may be chemically related but are not in he same class of amphets by any standard. not even close. unless your average club goer who loves the instant gratification of a line can endure 3 hours of mastification of a few hundred grams of green bitter leaf chewed and swallowed for the effect to occur 2-3 hours later, to tell you the truth i have not found or have heard of any of my, yours or the red bull generation that doesnt want anything immediately or on credit and that includes a high too, which is the saving grace and simple facts of khat ingestion. red bull and mother is a closer high to phets than khat by a long shot whilst khat will bring on profound effects closer to phet than red bull you will find that the self limiting effects of khat via its mainstream disgustingness, the long distance it takes to work and the amount one has to take plus the non social stigma in a white setting plus the time it takes to grow plus many more factors removes it from amphet as much as a solitary peyote button is to mescaline. Its this mismomer of stimulant heads believe in this khat is why it is already banned or being banned, not good and not justified by a long shot. Khat is not a party drug, however given its make up it can and is but 99.9% of the poulation will never get over the self limitations.

Common sense dictates here, if i decide to grow ethnos then i wont even grow cereus in my front yard. Why? Because statistics say eventually somebody with an inkling of knowledge will put 1 + 1 together and jump your fence to see what else you have. were all here right so the info is certainly public. Its like dressing your teenage daughter in fishnet stockings and not expecting dirty deevos to look, common sense prevails. Personally i wont even grow a.acuminata at front because i know EVENTUALLY it will be ID''d.

And dont blame the africans. Unfortunately they are from far removed from society here in australia than every other culture accepted its not funny, primarily because they look so freaky to our protected culture. The aboriginals hate them because they are black too and are the new invading blacks (as opposed to the whites that they have already surrended too because of overhelming WHITE cultures) being black makes them direct opponents and double crossers who will be instigated as the new black where they as the true blacks and moral custodians have not got close to the respect of the africans as misguided as that is, the arfricans are seen as invaders and traitors to them, but unfortunately because i frequent rubbish dumps the people that work there always complain wholeheardedly that africans are a very fierce race who steal and rip off and scam, i can say with a pure heart that my african friend says the africans as a majority are nothing but trouble, they only intergrate within their own culture and one must only look to see their own cultures and their own histories to make humble judgements right or wrong.

however in their defense, i drive down the street and readily admit that they freak the shit out of me just because they look different, sure asians look different but for me as a non racist i would find it hard to approach a rough looking bunch of blacks from africica but if it were asians the i would not be scared at all. In conclusion its the difference of looks and culture that stops both societies joining andthe evidence is there today in trhe USA still.

I say that with an african king as a friend, he says that too...that is not racist that is fact. Vual your a dipshit man, put a lolly in front of a baby and will it eat it...you tell me. This has got nothing to do with africans.

I am not 100% sure it was africans sorry, i didnt intend rasism just some observation....

There is also a small Indian comunity all in traditional attire just like the africans.

I never realized how multi cultural my little block has become, was a small aboriginal goverment housing estate when i moved here 7 years ago....

Haha yes, you could "sense" their guilt by looking at the color of their skin. :P Last year my neighbor stole my only ethno plants.. two little TBMs and a red spined peruvian. Long story short, I went over and looked in there yard and one of the TBM's was sitting right there.. I knocked on the door and asked for my other plants back, and the guy looked sheepish and like he was going to get them, but then his wife came out, denied everything, told me she was offended, and started abusing me. Anyway, sucks when stuff like that happens to your babies, good thing you still had cuttings of the same plant though.

Now that is a joke i can tell the difference ;), hehe :)

That i can respect.

Sad to hear you didnt get yours back, Unfortuantly i didn't have cuttings of the red variety i just sourced it :( literary taken from he ground 48hrs within planting....

But do have 2 other varieties, as a collector nothing could ever offend me more then someone taking something from my collection, it puts the entire collection out of place....

A am a virgin to plant theif's, cmon pain is expected... i am still in shock i think.

Its strange because my entire ethno garden (not small) is in the front yard, including near 100 cactus, and obvious riveria vines, bhwr, many saplings, large brug's etc, never been touched for the 7 years i have lived here.

untill a couple days ago....

just another piece to add to the puzzle..... -_-

Maybe you could leave a positive little sign explaining that knocking on the door and asking for permission would have been the polite thing to do? They might just not have understood that this is an acceptable to way ask (of course there's no guarantee a person will oblige, but still). It's not like things like that are something on an immigration information booklet. And you'd go a long way in helping them understand that not all "aussies" are heartless bastards who don't want them here :) You'd no doubt garner respect from other passers-by, too, which would make everyone more likely to leave you and your house/plants alone.

I have to say i compleatly agree and that will be my approach,.. Thanks for the brilliant idea.

Anyway thanks for your support guys i will have to follow threw with the sign and make some cuttings and hand them out. ^_^

-V

BTW:

I tried to ignore it.... BUT....

To the silly hate monger...

How is it possible for you to link that a entire race to the statement "The Africans down the road" cmon a little logic?

Think about it when cops have a warrent on a white guy and mention on the news a tall Irish man is wanted does that mean every tall white dude in Dublin a criminal??

(trick question :P )

0_o..... don't put words of hate in my mouth, i find it offensive.

Also if you thought about it after reading my post you may of noticed many obvious signs...

Ponder this.... A ethno guy would notice the OTHER plants (there not hidden) or a drug fucked teenager would of maybe taken *cough* more "valuable" plants i can think of MANY ^_*...

So obviously it was someone who only knows / wants RED khat......

Detective work is fun!!! I'm not being racist.....

I wasnt going to bother explaining cath and amphet, ya i have to agree its my fault...

I should of known better to trust humanity, Was silly of me to put in front yard, but thats where all my ethno's are....

What do you mean dont blame the africans? dosnt that make you a rasist? I mean the Africans stole my property its rather simple unforuantly ( or fortuantly) for them this isnt africa its Australia they are welcome to live here lets just all respect the same laws? not to much to ask imo... Between you and me let me tell you for a hard done by group of refugees that they are they do have flash BMW's and alot of gold... brand new nike shoes brand new clothing... New home owned outright....

The abo next door dosnt even have a front gate or shoes....

A AFRICAN STOLE MY KHAT!! :BANGHEAD2:

ouch

heheh, more than likely yes. "if he sees it he can take it".

i think the african immigrants we have here are awesome. often they spoke a handful of languages before taking on english which is a very difficult language, imagine how hard it would be to integrate when you can't speak decent english? i think they'd fit in a lot more if some aussies could speak french or swahili :P

heheh, more than likely yes. "if he sees it he can take it".

i think the african immigrants we have here are awesome. often they spoke a handful of languages before taking on english which is a very difficult language, imagine how hard it would be to integrate when you can't speak decent english? i think they'd fit in a lot more if some aussies could speak french or swahili :P

True, they do speak many languages, that is a feet....

I have respect for them im not rasist in anyway, just stating simple observations, honestly i would of loved one to knock on my door and i could LEEEECH him for knowledge and he would end up with a life long friend.

When moving to a new country there a a few things you must consider and then do, one of those things you must do is you must make a effort in following local laws and customs....

Its like a deal sweetener... A unspoken thanks....

A simple "thanks Australia for letting us crash here"....

You know a sign of respect... like "hey i dont steal your shit and you welcome me with open arms".......

I got no worry's with them being here, i love it to be honest i love learning about cultures....

I never intended a race war, it was just simply that.....

AFRICANS STOLE MY KHAT!!

:bootyshake:

If it was mexicans i would of been just as pissed!!

I think they just found out how to source plants TI :P

jokes aside I like the philosophy that if someone steals something from you they think they need it more than you, it can be really hard to practice sometimes... but I find I get a lot more offended by deception than from theft. It's just unfortunate a lot of the time where there's theft deception is right behind him.

I prefer to think they left the other two for you. They didn't steal all three but only took the minimum that they thought they had to(i'd say the majority of the general population have nfi about cuttings).

hahahahaha

Honestly i feel the same way, i agree with what you are saying, just more annoying because it puts the collection out of place...

not really anger towards the theif i understand they need it more then me...

Simply imagine how happy the man of the house would of been when one of his kids come's home with the plant as a gift...

I am happy to facilitate that.

-V