The Corroboree

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Macca

A few Trich cuts

Hey @waterboy 2.0 is the above TBM still for sale?
  3. Paradoxical

Bridgesii 'Sina' cutting and Nitrogen Monstrose seed

Definitely of interest, thanks bardo
  4. Today
  5. Glaukus

Medicinal Weeds

Could be, that's the issue with common names I guess. Always knew it as chickweed.
  6. bardo

Bridgesii 'Sina' cutting and Nitrogen Monstrose seed

Don't know if this is any help or of any interest to you. https://www.trichocereus.com.au/ 29. T. bridgesii 'Essendon’ x T. bridgesii 'Sina’ $8 (100-$20)
  7. I just root them in the cactus mix I make which is just potting mix, sand and perlite, I keep em under cover for a few weeks with prob a few hours direct sun a day, I don't know how much difference it really makes but the bottom half of soil in the pot I wet and top up with the dry mix for the cutting to sit in, I feel it might encourage the roots to develop faster having the moisture available to search out for ?
  8. bardo

Medicinal Weeds

Hey glaukus, I think that would have been petty spurge - euphorbia peplus Looks like chickweed but petty is more upright and chickweed is more sprawling ground cover, chickweed doesn't ooze white sap but petty does and is great for sunspots and such. One good way to tell the difference is petty has a smooth hairless stem and chickweed has a small little hairy mow hawk of hairs, just one line along the stem.
  9. Looking to get my hand on a cutting of Sina. Big or small, the size doesn't matter, as long as it is the characteristic Sina. Also if anyone has any extra seed from Nitrogen's TPM crosses, then I would love to give them a bright future. Alternatively, does anyone know if Nitrogen's TPM itself is available in Australia? If you can help, send me a PM
  10. Yesterday
  11. Alchemica

Medicinal Weeds

Thanks for the pics of different plants @bardo Unfortunately I just get a little tiny symbol as the picture Hadn't got around to my Lactucas but glad you mentioned them. Did some Backyard Weed Medicine Crafting with mine Lactuca virosa and serriola Virosa & serriola should ideally be harvested for their sap whilst in flower, I'm got them before they take over the backyard because I can't deliberately let the garden go too weedy. " Both Serriola and Virosa have similar effects and are very edible but are quite bitter, I found Virosa was just easier to milk because it didn't have spines but overall id say they are on par with each other in terms of strength " - Marty64 "...even with those young tender plants I try to limit how much I eat so I dont get too drowsy. Its sedating but not all that distinctly anxiolytic" - Auxin Wild lettuce was “highly esteemed to quiet coughing and allay nervous irritation, a good safe remedy to produce sleep, to be used when opium and other narcotics are objectionable” "...wild lettuce and especially the the desiccated lactescent juice obtained from it, lactucarium, were considered to be an intoxicant, and were used as a sedative and an analgesic. The action of the substance was weaker than that of opium but free of the side-effects, and medical practice showed that in some cases lactucarium produced better curative effects than opium." [2] The natural compound lactucopicrin may be a promising neurotrophin-mediated neuroprotective candidate for neurodegenerative diseases and is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor while lactucin is an adenosine receptor agonist with analgesic and sedative properties [3,4]. That said, toxicity has been reported [5] https://www.medicinenet.com/wild_lettuce/supplements-vitamins.htm [1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16621374 [2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17153150 [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactucopicrin [4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactucin [5] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3031874/
  12. It is advisable to cure the ends by leaving your cutting lying on its side in a dry, shady (but well lit) place for 2-3 weeks at least. Planting of the cutting is best done when they are actively growing - ie. not in winter. The most professional method is too root your cutting in perlite. This has the added advantage, that the cutting can be placed onto the dry perlite bed as soon as it is cut and can undergo the drying process there. Once the ends are well cured, the cutting can be partly submerged into the perlite in the position desired. Whether you choose to place your cutting sideways or upright is a matter of choice, but I have found that placing it sideways will generally produce a greater number of new shoots. A tip cutting if placed sideways will bend upwards at the tip and may also produce side-shoots. The reason why side rooting is preferable is the fact that more root fibres develop and the plant receives more nutrients in a shorter period of development, which in turn increases the amount of new growth. The cutting and the surrounding perlite should then be watered. Once watering is started the tray or pot should be placed in a full sun position. My understanding is that in order to send forth roots the plant needs energy for apical cell multiplication. Their energy source is obviously photons, however I think they may be using stored energy for rooting? Someone please correct me on that. I also recently read on here that keeping harvested columns in darkness for a matter of months can increase alkaloid content within the cactus by nearly double.
  13. folias

phyllodium pulchellum seeds :)

A place to buy pullchellum seeds from the UK and also a guide to growing! https://www.arkhamsbotanical.com/shop/seeds/phyllodium-pulchellum-angels-locks-seeds/ https://www.arkhamsbotanical.com/cultivation/how-to-grow-phyllodium-pulchellum-from-seed/
  14. I'm no expert but I'd say shade is better for at least 3 to 4 weeks. I have some cuttings in perlite that haven't rooted and it's been over 2 months. If you put them in the sun they can burn or become etiolated.
  15. Hey all, Got me a few cuttings to grow, the cuts are healed over nicely, just want to check whether the plants are best kept potted in the shade for a few weeks to grow roots before being put out in 6+ hrs direct sun where I'm planning to grow them. Thanks:)
  16. Glaukus

Medicinal Weeds

Chickweed is also good for getting rid of warts and blemishes. When I was a kid, my mum would drop some of the milky sap onto a wart every day for a few weeks and they'd disappear, never to return.
  17. bardo

Medicinal Weeds

Not only are many of the weeds edible and nutritious and many also have a vide array of medicinal properties and application but they are also great for the garden, they provide ground cover, invite insects and bees, good for worms and soil microbes, help aerate soil and improve hard clay soils etc, and they draw minerals some from deep down that can be chopped back into the soil or made into compost teas. Great things I reckon, they don't require any love but give a lot Here is some picks of some of the useful weeds growing in the garden beds atm Sow thistle - leaves rich in vitamins, iron and calcium, used in sandwiches and salads or cooked as spinach, flower buds good for stir fried, petals can liven up salads Mallow - leaves edible, young leaves are better, used in salads or like spinach, contains mucilaginous properties, green seed heads edible raw or cooked and high in carbohydrates and proteins, a potential staple food. has medicinal applications Wild brassicas - edible leaves and flowers, nutritious and medicinal, bio-fumigant chop into soil in spring for up to 40% more produce from solanacae crops chickweed chickweed, amaranth, sow thistle and blackberry nightshade. chickweed high in protein, more than twice the iron of spinach, high in vit a and c and anti-aging antioxidants. medicinal, mainly for skin complaints blackberry nightshade - ripe berries are similar in flavour to tomato, plant has many medicinal applications Fat hen - leaves are best cooked due to high oxalic acid content, rich in vit c, riboflavin, calcium and antioxidants, upto 43%protein by dry weight. purslane - richest source of omega-3 fatty acids of any leafy green tested, high in protein, potassium, vit a,c,e and anti-aging antioxidants. All parts edible tho is high in oxalic acid, medicinal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, wound healer Dandelion - most nutritious veg ever tested by us department of agriculture, high in iron, calcium, vit a, b6, e, k, thiamin, antioxidants, beta and alpha-carotene. All part are edible, lots of medicinal applications amaranth - high in protein, rich in mineral nutrients, leaves and seeds contain the essential amino acid lysine, contains oxalic acid Oxalis - high levels of oxalic acid rich in vit c, many medicinal applications cobblers pegs - leaves edible, high in antioxidants, I heard you can sprout the seeds for eating as well petty spurge, defo don't eat this one lol its for sun spots/skin cancers I just added some basic info from the book I mentioned, there worth researching I reckon : )
  18. Darklight

MELB MUSHROOM DAY THIS WEEKEND !

I'd go if I was in Melbs for sure :D Look, if you've ever been to a mushroom tek and feel like you haven't learned enough to be as productive as you like, go to another one! Mycology's quite the thing to wrap your head around- even with years of plant growing and plant biotech experience it took me a coupla years work to get the gist of the different schedulings and life cycles, spawn implications etc. Luckily the teks taught these days are way simpler than they were back in my day, and we know which strains are better suited to local conditions and substrates. But it never hurts to do a basics workshop again if you're struggling ( ID workshops I always always learn new things, I try not to miss those ever )
  19. bardo

Brugmansia microdosing

Even smoking to much brug or Datura leaf or for to many days in a row lead to effects similar to the brew but way less toxic feelings and recovery is quicker I believe, smoking some (stopping when mouth and throat start getting that dry feeling) especially with red wine is awesome, tho I wouldn't encourage anyone to do it, for me it had great synergy but after many days some real mind screw type effects that some may not like can sometimes manifest. for example yarning with ya step dad, turning away then when you turn back he is gone, was never there, ya just sitting there alone, and it can get way way weirder then that, especially with a strong brew, shit gets real crazy It supposedly has a build up effect and from experience I believe it to be true, so if experimenting good breaks between are recommended. Tho I have been lucky and had some amazing experiences (apart from the toxic effects, chronic dry throat and days of not understanding the meaning of words etc from brews) I am sure you have read/heard the many horror stories out there so no need to go into that, Its a thing where strong warnings against it is very much warranted and prob very wise to adhere to.
  20. Traditionally I've only seen this plant traded as clones. Lately there have been seeds on ebay, so I got some out of curiosity. The seeds I got were obviously thistle seeds and didnt even remotely look like the seeds of a Polygonum, and I'm guessing that as usual all sellers on ebay are buying from the same source. My question is, has anyone ever seen genuine seeds being sold? Or even produced on plants? I've seen the seeds in botanical drawings so I know the plant produces them, even if it is generally propagated by cloning, but as with any very commercial and trendy plant its been hard to find any solid information on the plant itself.
  21. bardo

Medicinal Weeds

Anyone into this stuff, the weed forager's handbook a guide to edible and medicinal weeds in Australia by adam grubb and annie raser-rowland is a great little book indeed. I have had a few nettle teas and tried nettle gnocchi (a recipe in the book) also used to put native dandelion petals in omelettes. Tried sow thistle the other day (the one in your pic) I boiled a heap of leaves till wilted then squeezed lemon on top with a drizzle of olive oil as a side to some fish, was great I reckon, just need heaps cause it wilts down a heap. Blackberry nightshade, solanum nigrum, the fully ripe berries are pretty good, very much like tomato in flavour. Later this week I am gonna make some home made pasta and a chickweed pesto, gonna just wizz up some walnuts, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and maybe a little lemon with the chickweed, should be good I hope, from what I have read chickweed is like a super food and has twice the iron levels of spinach. I would think lactuca serriola, wild lettuce (which is also edible) would be better suited for pain relief and such, it has a latex called lactucarium which contains lactucin and lactucopicrin, the book I mentioned has written that tests showed 1 gram of lactucarius induces calming and painkilling effects and higher doses of 2-3 grams has stimulating effects.
  22. karode13

MELB MUSHROOM DAY THIS WEEKEND !

Should be a good day. I'm doing 2 general Mushroom ID workshop on the day(Morning and Evening) and answering any questions.
  23. Last week
  24. Glaukus

Quotes of the day.

It holds us like a phantom The touch is like a breeze It shines its understanding See the moon smiling Open on all channels Ready to receive And we're not at the mercy Of your shimmers or spells Your shimmers or spells We are of the earth To her we do return The future is inside us It's not somewhere else It's not somewhere else It's not somewhere else One day at a time We call upon the people People have this power The numbers don't decide Your system is a lie The river running dry The wings of a butterfly And you may pour us away like soup Like we're pretty broken flowers We'll take back what is ours Take back what is ours One day at a time Radiohead- The numbers
  25. Andrew

lance for sale

I thought that might be a bit much,I mean I know what its worth but didnt really expect to get that on here,obviously everyone wants a bargain. I,ll drop the price to $120.00.I,d rather not cut it up as that becomes inconvenient for me. I,ll leave it as it is for the moment,someone might want it,if not maybe I,ll just keep it. I,m just not as into the ethnobotany thing as I used to be years ago when I was member number 2 on this site. cheers.
  26. ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

Post your track of the day

27. Matt1208

Medicinal Weeds

poppy spp grow here everywhere, all along the highways with these little green seed pods, had a real unique smell so I took a heap to make an extract I could use to make incense, if I lite a few and the room gets kinda Smokey, I get really relaxed almost like those otc codeine and cough syrup ‘sick days’ we all know everyone’s had, not sure exactly what plant but a few had petals on them still, looked just like the Californian poppies I got just bigger bright white and had huge seed pods
  28. SayN

Medicinal Weeds

I used to have have lots of Sida popping up everywhere - long before I knew what it was. Chewed some roots a few times hoping for sinus relief and any side effects, but found them a little underwhelming.
  29. ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

Virolador and The Lightening Tree

Time spent getting ripped off trying to germinate dead seeds from ethnocuntes and portuguese peyote stealers while hunting worldwide for years much to no avail for the Lightening tree attempt at using the olde toad tank as a Virolador ... However , one fine day a lone supplier of integrity existed and thus; the project finally got somewhere in the darkest depths of the amazon rainforest box :3
  1. Load more activity