The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Tolerance to blue lilly/ lotus?

I received some lovely freshly dried blue lilly as a present from a friend last month ( thanks so much! ) and on a couple of social occasions here have added it to red wine at a rate of 12-15g/L and let sit for a few hours before straining.

On the first occasion I had three glasses, and a good mate had one. My mate has a pretty high tolerance and handles quantities of comestibles better than I do, but on this occasion he'd had 4 beers before he had his wine and I stuck to my lotus all night. About ten minutes after he'd finished his glass he mentioned the wine had got him shitfaced, and he was indeed far more inebriated than he usually shows up after a coupla six packs. Me, I noticed the slightest of warm buzzes and not much more. Mind you I was running around a bit and had to keep my eye on things.

On the second occasion I had two glasses of wine, prepared as above, and my partner had one. She had a couple of standard drinks without lotus before her wine, wheras I'd stuck to my lotus again. She went to bed reeling and saying " never again... too strong ". Wheras I was starting to wonder why everyone else was so much more affected by it than I was, it didn't touch the sides. I noticed a warm glow at one stage and it faded fast.

Now many of youse know what a sipper I am these days, and that my liver is better suited to use as a doorstop than a toxological processing organ. Normally I'd be more under the table well before anyone else starts slurring their words. The last lot of blue lilly I had prior to this was about 8 months ago, but I have been consuming it for several years as the beverage of choice. Is it theoretically possible that I'm experiencing a long term tolerance to blue lilly? Normally I have pretty high MAOs as well, could that be a contributing factor?

Can't imagine it myself, but we need to conduct more experiments on this to make sure its not the case. It could also be batch specific. Normally its me who gets the wonderful lilly glow and nurses her third drink for hours. The lilly is of the highest quality and I'm hoping to enjoy it rather than waste it watching my friends enjoy it :wink: while I wonder what the fuck went wrong :lol:

Maybe something to do with an enzymatic process in the liver or a cross tollerance issue as Darcy says?

THIQ's are responsible for the feelings of elation with lotus and are also the chemicals responsible for some peeps ability to drink copious amounts of alc and get high rather than drunk as they appear in the metabolic pathway.

These peeps are also more susceptible to lotus for this reason..it's possibly a liver enzyme deficiency that allows THIQ's to enter the brain directly in this case which is not usually the way alc is metabolised by most.

Some cacti contain these too and I believe the father of MDMA is working on this group right now if not published already and I have found that the fencepost cactus has a similar action as lotus for me anyway though I've only tried it a few times and it contains high levels of THIQ's.

Google "the difference in drinkers" and you'll find some very interesting stuff re:tetra-hydro-isoquinolines and liver metabolisation.

Maybe something to do with an enzymatic process in the liver or a cross tollerance issue as Darcy says?

Good theory, but i'm not taking any medication, excepting Ashwagandra tincture nightly, and hadn't taken my dose that day.

My partner also takes Ashwagandra at the same dose, and has been taking moclobemide for eighteen months now.

My mate isn't taking any medication but does like a puff or two at the end of the with his beers

Goddammit we'll just have to drink more lotus purely for scientific purposes of course :innocent_n:

I think its the "Beer" that is giving the other people higher effects! For me anyway i have found effects to be ALOT stronger if used in combination with beer! Dont know why!

Hmmm could be onto something here...maybe Hops synergy with Lotus?

That would explain why I had surprising effects with my home brew in the keg lotus thingy!

Anyone have hops and lotus to make a tea or possibly smoke?

This is odd! I remember when blue lilly was all the rage, that people reported becoming more sensitive to the effects over time.

One thing ive noticed that ive been meaning to post, is that my sensitivity or moreso my ability to enjoy caffeine has been markedly changed with the addition of tyrosine to my diet. Which makes me wonder, have you changed your diet since you've used lily successfully? I reckon it could be possible that youve a higher tolerance due to some lifestyle change, less stress even? Is this tolerance only noticed with lily?

Secondly, but importantly; I've a significant amount left, but its over a year old, would it still be worth a try?

I think its the "Beer" that is giving the other people higher effects! For me anyway i have found effects to be ALOT stronger if used in combination with beer! Dont know why!

That's a really good point- the only common factor between the other two was that they'd both had a coupla beers before the lotus wine- and I didn't. But I'll get back to you with the new bioassays :)

I do recall reading various reports that Lotus is meant to be most synergistic with beer for some reason.

Why beer would be different to wine, I don't know? (apart from the obvious, the materials they are made from)

Is the blue lily the same species used in, and often depicted in the art of, pharaohnic Egypt?

I remember from yr 12 ancient history that the ancient Egyptians were refferred to by their contemporaries as 'the bread eaters'...they ate so much bread their teeth wore down from the stone inadvertantly ground into the flour. The ancient Egyptians were also inveterate drinkers, who made delicious beer that they brewed from said bread (although this may not be the case http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/egy...akingbeer.html).

Did the pharaohs know about the lotus + beer synergy I wonder?

However, the ancient egyptians apparently did not add hops to beer.

Does all 'modern' beer contain hops? What other congeners are in beer besides hops? Something to do with yeast? B vitamins? I really don't know.

I think someone mentioned it in the Henbane Pilsener thread. I think it was mesc?

Wandjina,

The egyptians did use the Blue Lotus as a Narcotic. Or at least, there are veiled references to it throughout historical texts.

I think Erowid even draws said connections. I'm too lazy to find a reference though. :blush: