The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

What weird things do you collect

Uhm.. Aircraft Safety Instructions.. I got Pan Am, Concord + about 200 others. Always loved to fly:)

• Like 1

Anime. I have around 700 DVDS and BDS. Have slowed down a bit lately though,

what is a BDS? all google will give me is

boycotts, divestment and sanctions

blower drive service

broadmeadows disability services

etc

as for me, i collect video tapes. especially: original release movies, 80s/90s kid's shows, and stuff taped from tv that includes old ads. but really pretty much anything. except sport. if anyone has any in melbourne they want to get rid of, i will gladly take them away.

i also 'collect' recyclable materials and plastic wrappings people have put in the wrong place (usually the ground). but that eventually makes it's way into the correct receptacle.

edit: oh and metcards! fuck myki

Edited by frank

Chnt, you'd probably like those cast iron teapots getting around.

I found this one on ebay for mothers day gift.

post-8867-0-06252100-1338885185_thumb.jp

Whitewind, do you know the native 'Black Apple', Planchonella Australis. The seeds can be used for jewellery making.

post-8867-0-18093700-1338885316_thumb.jp

Unfortunately I've given all these away.

Atherton nut is pretty awesome too.

yeah eventually i will get a cast iron teapot too, but i need a regular income first...

trying to collect shit as a student is flawed...

Tins

trying to collect shit as a student is flawed...

thats why tapes are awesome (one of many reasons of course). i consider a dollar to be a rip off. i bought 150 off ebay for a dollar recently.

that's awesome, what tapes do you collect? vhs? cassette?

i remember having multiple spares of each as a kid, no idea where they are now... i used them sometimes

frank, BD is Blu-Ray Disc the S is the plural. I only have about 40 of them so far, they are more expensive and haven't been around for as long as DVD

Well I collect occult books and brick a brack and skulls.

and guitars oh sorry guitars arnt weird.

post-337-0-59826500-1338877165_thumb.jpg

post-337-0-36889200-1338877999_thumb.jpg

Have all my dogs with me

post-337-0-98924800-1338878384_thumb.jpg

believe me there is a lot more

Can we see your guitars? Are you willing to sell any? :)

that's awesome, what tapes do you collect? vhs? cassette?

VHS PAL, pal. though some betamax would be really cool.

i suspected bluray might be involved... personally i don't see the appeal of bluray, physical media are almost extinct imo

• Like 1

I like the quality.

i like .avi

• Like 1

Pics or it's not true fairy !!

Whitewind, do you know the native 'Black Apple', Planchonella Australis. The seeds can be used for jewellery making.

post-8867-0-18093700-1338885316_thumb.jp

Unfortunately I've given all these away.

Atherton nut is pretty awesome too.

Yeah an aboriginal friend of mine introduced me to Black Apple a couple of months back, he's obsessed with bush food and when I get the chance (which is almost never) we pop out and go have a look at something that's fruiting. Most of the stuff had hit the floor and was on it's way out, which was a shame, but the seeds were pretty funky.

I got a bit excited about these guys, they had some stuff showing at the tropical centre at Sydney Botanic Gardens a few weeks back. Bloody amazing artworks.

http://whatson.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/events/14001-transit-of-venus-exhibition

large__MG_4010.jpg?1335157622

transit_of_venus.jpg

Edited by whitewind

There is nothing in this thread that i have found weird,(well maybe dog skulls, :) , and only because i have never seen it done before. I do however, have a back yard of pet skeletons!)

I want to hear more on the topic of this thread, so i will tell of another thing i have collected... My pups milk teeth..

My kids were horrified, but then i showed them their baby teeth 'The Tooth Fairy' kept , they were more accepting. ?!,lol.

I once had a friend that collected cats whiskers, and i had another friend (in grade 6) and she said collected nasal fragments, and when she had a jar full, she would sell them to the hospital where they made antibiotics from it.. Of course i just nodded at her.

Here are the puppy teeth... is that weird?

post-7430-0-79248200-1338957404_thumb.jp

Puppy Milk Teeth..jpg

Puppy Milk Teeth..jpg

• Like 1

our tooth fairy still has the stash at home, my collecting aberration is electrical cords and speakers, everyone knows i have a problem so when they want to get rid of speakers or wires they just ask me knowing i can't refuse. but i'll ALWAYS have a cord that fits and an extra pair of speakers to tweak those sounds!!

Here are the puppy teeth... is that weird?

post-7430-0-79248200-1338957404_thumb.jp

nah that's cool, i'll put picks up of our pets teeth, what do you store them in Amazonian, if you want some of the containers i keep ours in pm me when i've put picks up tonight cos these little containers display them excellently.

I keep my dogs teeth in a really small jar, as they are pretty small teeth.... small dog=small teeth. I opened the jar one day and it was really smelly.. i didn't allow the sinew time to dry out and it smelt like rotting flesh. So i left them to dry better before they went back in the jar. Thanks for the offer on the container Moses, but this little jar works well :) . I am interested to see your collection.

post-7430-0-12984400-1338963073_thumb.jp

jar of teeth.jpg

jar of teeth.jpg

• Like 1

What ,,, so no-one else collects anything weird....come on...

By the way, you all failed to see the nail clippings that i so cryptically added to one of my photos :rolleyes: .

:)

• Like 1

nah that's cool, i'll put picks up of our pets teeth, what do you store them in Amazonian, if you want some of the containers i keep ours in pm me when i've put picks up tonight cos these little containers display them excellently.

Ah, looks like something you would find in a museum , nicely done Moses.

:)

Speaking of museums, I used to work for Museums Victoria, and as part of my orientation they let me have a tour of the collection (which is 99% in storage)

It was incredible! They have millions of items, usually kept in the dark in temperature controlled areas, apparently fluro lights are enough to cause irreparable damage over time. They had a massive -40 celsius freezer (big enough to put a great white shark with heaps of room to spare) which they used to help disinfect exhibits of insects and or bacteria (as well as nasty posion that they spray onto things like stuffed animals.. formaldehyde was mentioned I think)

Rooms in there marked TABOO which noone is allowed to enter without being accompanied by and elder or designated representative of whatever tribe it is whos stuff you want to touch.

Rooms full of poison tipped spears and arrows of which most have unknown plant or animal poisons on the tips.

I got to hold a sword from an executed 1600s pirate!

They have items in there that they dont actually know what they are. Once something makes it into the collection its very procedural and difficult to have them removed again.

This place looks a little like the warehouse out of indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark.. crates and strange stuff stacked to the very high ceiling, and rows and rows of stuff. It was huge and impressive.

I got to see all the racist dioramas of aboriginals depicted as animalistic savages (they cant get rid of them either) and many of the old exhibits from when the melbourne museum was on swanston st where the library now is.

When the museum used to reside at Swanston st, they didnt have a big temp controlled warehouse, instead most of the exhibits were kept in leaky moldy tunnel like corridors underground below the museum itself.

I believe the collection is now somewhere around moreland in a warehouse, but it was a while ago I could have the train station name wrong.

If you ever get the opportunity I highly recommend having a tour. It makes what they have on display seem a bit pathetic.

P.S.

I also have a fair collection of australian decimal currency.

-edited to add to rant -

Edited by niggles
  • Like 1

The things that I have that you could call a collection are my cacti but I do collect lots of different things which my wife never understands :)

My little list of random stuff

Half a pallet of new bicycle parts dating back into the forties ( leather saddles ,sturmey archer parts, tools, mudguards extra)

A number of antique little metal and wooden boxes, wooden ammo boxes.

Football jumpers and other sporting uniforms dating back to my junior sport days

Recycled timber mainly jarrah (large amount), approximately 80 doors. 20 odd wooden windows

Fishing rods (20), reels (15), lures (heaps) you can never have to much fishing gear

Tools a few old brace and bit drills. old hand driven pedestal drill and assorted antique spanners

The list goes on but writing it all down like this is starting to make me feel like I have a problem :unsure:

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

Its only a problem if you dont have the space for it :) - or if you have to move, I'm NOT looking forward to somehow moving my cactus collection.

The bike parts used to fill a single car garage (on shelves). When I acquired them It was the remains of a bike shop that had been shut down in the early 80's and the original owner took it all home and had stored it all there. It took me and a mate 3 days to move it all to my place using a small truck. We moved the whole lot once more and when we had to move again I sold a fair bit and donated some of the older stuff to some people that run a bicycle museum. I then picked some bits out to keep and filled a big skip bin with the rest. :(

I am dreading moving my cacti from just one end of my block to the other :huh:

Cheers

Got

That's just plain weird AMz! Well I guess I keep my lil'ns hair when I clean her hair brush, can't bring myself to turf it, I just put it all in a plastic bag, it's pretty big now, have kept it since she was 3. I LOVE brushing hair! I guess when I had hair I was quite vain and spent a lot of time brushing it to perfection, so relish any chance I get. Maybee an old age career change rto hair stylist is on the horizon.

• Like 2