The Corroboree

can anyone comment on the ozito, its much cheaper than a dremel, and often a kit with 60+ attachments is on special at the big green shed.

Isn't NZ greenstone illegal to transport outside of NZ if it is raw or not carved

It appears permission must be gained only when exporting raw pounamu over 5kg:

Prohibited pounamu exports

• (1) The exportation of pounamu in its natural state, and partly or wholly processed pounamu, is prohibited, except with the consent of, and subject to such conditions (if any) not inconsistent with this prohibition that are imposed by, the Minister of Customs.

(2) The Minister may give his or her consent as provided in subclause (1) only on written advice—

• a. from Te Runanga o Ngai Tahu; or

• b. if the pounamu is extracted from the catchment of the Arahura river, from the Māwhera Incorporation.

(3) This prohibition does not apply to—

• a. articles made from pounamu (for example, jewellery, pendants, or sculptures containing pounamu):

• b. consignments that are being exported by a single exporter and in which the total weight of pounamu does not exceed 5 kg.

Source: http://www.legislati...DLM3811707.html

I have been reading about this because I am interested in getting hold of some raw greenstone (pounamu) for Amazonian to carve something for me, as I am of maori descent (Ngati Kuri).. maybe I should learn to do it myself, but I am pretty lazy!

Also, as for whether it can be sold or not, greenstone is for sale everywhere in NZ, but there is a tradition that the mana increases with each successive generation it is passed down.

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

can anyone comment on the ozito, its much cheaper than a dremel, and often a kit with 60+ attachments is on special at the big green shed.

I was using my Husbands Dremel when i first started to carve, but he was watching over my shoulder to make sure i looked after HIS power tool. I ended up buying my own. I got a Ryobi that came with the flexible cable and various bits. It was cheaper than a Dremel and i thought it was a good deal.....however.... Once you have used a Dremel, then go to a copy of a Dremel, its like riding a top of the range motor bike, and then going to a cheap Chinese model ( IMO). The Ryobi gets really hot, like within 5 minutes of running the motor on low, it is almost too hot to hold. Also, the flexible attachment is a pain to take on and off due to the set up of the lock on the chuck. This package cost me like $100, but i wish i had have paid extra and got a Dremel instead. The cheaper ones are alright for light work, but again.... you get what you pay for.

@chilli, i will have a look at my local shop (1/2 an hour away) over the weekend if time permits, and see what they have that resembles the Greenstone. I will get back to you.

• Like 1

Also, the Ryobi revs its head off and the low setting isnt low enough. Maybe i got a dodgy one?. It would be good if you couldd take home a tool and try it out first hey ( But you can imagine how that would go).

good feedback. Im still inclined to go a cheapie. For example the Ozito can be ad for $50, and includes 180+ pieces. Might have to trawl throug some hobby forums, see what the consensus is.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_170w-ozito-rtp163-rotary-tool-kit_586.aspx?search=ozito&searchType=any&searchSubType=products&filter=categoryname--Rotary+Tools

@ Dready , the Ozito looks ok for $50 . I am sure you could get $50 worth of use out of it. When/if it packs it in , you still have all the attatchments....(As add says...183pce accessories of assorted sanding, shaping and engraving tips included for most applications ), but you will find that most of those are sandpaper sleeves and cutting discs rather than actual bits. Go to 'The Big Green Shed' (AKA Bunnings), and have a look and a feel of it, and then compare it to other small rotary tools.

good feedback. Im still inclined to go a cheapie. For example the Ozito can be ad for $50, and includes 180+ pieces. Might have to trawl throug some hobby forums, see what the consensus is.

http://www.bunnings....e--Rotary+Tools

Edit to add 1] sorry Amz this should be in another thread it distracts from your thread and your art :)

Many Apologies :)

Psylo,

Virtually everything is made in china..... black and decker is also Dewalt and most big names have a home version, all made in china, You will hopefully have more luck buying a big name but it is just a name, and you can also have luck buying the cheapies like GMC [they were good value if faulty in 12mths get replaced etc] I bought a Rhino brand angle grinder from Bunnings for $11.00 15 years ago it has worn one set of brushes out but came with a second set, My dogs chewed the lead off it but I replaced the lead, and its still running, I have also bought others and used them both exxy and cheapiesbut dearer than $11.00 and the only one i have currently is the rhino, the rest burnt out. I use angle grinders a fair bit :). Point is you could buy Ozito and get 12-24-60 ++++ months out of it or you could buy and get 3mths and need to replace [ and just cause one burns out wont mean all the cheapies are shit]. Alternatively you could buy say teh dremel and it might last you teh shorter period or the longer period?? I have a dremel and it is burnt out - IT lasted under 1 year. For my money the best investment especially if you are starting off is to go cheap if you like what you do then you can start looking at dearer equipment and make an informed decision, you already know what you want from the tool. You may chose to keep going cheap and sacrificing the illusive guarantee of teh dearer products, and by that i mean that most exxy tools are not replaced but sent away for repairs and not everything is under warranty and may cost more to repair than its worth, you could buy another one for $50 more for example. I having had Dremel have also looked at the Ozito and when i have the cash spare:) I will probably get one. I like cheap tools for the value I have got from them a few have burnt me but most I feel have earnt there purchase price. The GMC product was really good although sometimes it took three tries to get the right one :)

If you want to carve the Ozito will work for you, if you feel the tool is loading up ease back on the pressure, the diamonds work better with light pressure anyway, same with the wood burrs that you will get with the rotary tools usually. Here is similar looks a bit chunky but $20.00 lol.

http://www.bunnings....ol-kit_584.aspx

With Jade, Crystals, Glass etc things like Glass heat is a curse and can cause heat fracture so if you apply too much prressure you will get too much heat even under water sometimes and then the peice can crack even with out inclusions and faults in the rock etc So start cheap, get a feel for your material and your tool :), and have fun.....

Oh and if you dont want to risk expensive material start with soft rocks river pebbles etc, some of them polish up really nice and are beautiful just people dont value them:)

Edited by dworx

Edit to add 1] sorry Amz this should be in another thread it distracts from your thread and your art :)

Many Apologies :)

No apologie needed dworx. It is all useful info'. I am happy to discuss tools of the trade. I am sure you have more valuable info' to share.

When i compare the two rotary tools that i have used... i prefer the Dremel. The Ryobi has a cheaper plastic (i already stripped the thread where the flexible cable goes onto), the joins don't meet up in the moldings of the outer casing. It is not comfortable to hold... But, if i had never used the Dremel, then i would have nothing to compare. I would be happy with the Ryobi. At the end of the day, they both do the same job. :)

Edited by Amazonian

When i compare the two rotary tools that i have

*ahem* whoooooose Dremel ? :o

(PS my reply could only have worked by me quoting you out of context)

Well... my tool and 'the masters' tool :P

• Like 1

Sounds like you have your hands full Amz :)

Well... my tool and 'the masters' tool :P

Sounds like you have your hands full Amz :)

LOL....and EEEEKKKK!!, it wasnt meant to sound like that...honest.

• Like 1

LOL....and EEEEKKKK!!, it wasnt meant to sound like that...honest.

Uhuh?????? :)

So right tool for the right job, Amz how do you chose your jade?

Hmmm, choosing Jade.. i suppose it depends on what i have in mind to carve. Like the Loph' beads, i am trying to source some Jade with just the right shade of green. Usually when i get a new piece of jade, i just want to work with it to see what a bit of polishing will reveal. You know the old saying, "dont judge a book by its cover", well, its the same with jade. It appears all dull, and plain,until you start carving away, and a bit of polishing, and you see the beauty within. Jade is a great stone to work with, so its not hard to choose the right piece for the Job, as any piece of Jade can end up looking great. As mentioned earlier though,I inspect each section before i start carving, to make sure there are no faults/cracks. A real bit of art can be created out of a rough slab of stone, how awesome is that . :)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1

I read once the chinese have a saying something like what you are saying, Jade is rough but with work you reveal the inner beauty, as with people. It may not be word for word but I remember the core meaning as that.

Hmmm, choosing Jade.. i suppose it depends on what i have in mind to carve. Like the Loph' beads, i am trying to source some Jade with just the right shade of green. Usually when i get a new piece of jade, i just want to work with it to see what a bit of polishing will reveal. You know the old saying, "dont judge a book by its cover", well, its the same with jade. It appears all dull, and plain,until you start carving away, and a bit of polishing, and you see the beauty within. Jade is a great stone to work with, so its not hard to choose the right piece for the Job, as any piece of Jade can end up looking great. As mentioned earlier though,I inspect each section before i start carving, to make sure there are no faults/cracks. A real bit of art can be created out of a rough slab of stone, how awesome is that . :)

So how many hours do you put into a carving say something as big as the infinity or if you dont know that one one that is pictured ???

People say "what is it worth?", but its hard to put a dollar value on it .I have decided to pay more attention to the time it takes to carve an item. If carving was my job, then i would want atleast $10 an hour . So if i add up the hours a piece has taken me to carve,and times it by 10, then i am getting an idea of what it might be worth (not including the cost of the material).

The infinity took many hours to make, i cant recall exactly, but it must have been atleast 10 hours (or more). Polishing by hand is very time consuming but it makes a difference to the finished result. :)

Edited by Amazonian

I have seen carvings cheap from china, with no guarantee that it really is jade? but in the thousands from NZ. NZ designs are basic? but i think the pounamou nephrite is priced to high. Chinese carvings are intricate, but i suppose culturally based and not as broad a folowing? Its weird the pricing?

You would love a dear friend of ours teo that used to mod the cacti forum. Carves from bone amazing jewellery. I wear a piece I've never taken off since I've had it. He's an artist, like yourself. I'll hook yas up if u have fb or whatever he would prob even trade with you.

Very talented chicky.

Aw, i wish you had have shown me at EGA 'nito, i would have been very interested to see teo's work. Its a nice thing when you make something for someone and they never take it off. :). I have a Jade amulet which i wear around my neck and I rarely take it off (only to cleanse it occasionally) and it is hanging from some waxed cotton. If your pendant is strung with waxed cotton, it eventually wears/weakens, and needs replacing, so keep an eye on that as you dont want to lose the carving .

:)

'nito

You would love a dear friend of ours teo that used to mod the cacti forum. Carves from bone amazing jewellery. I wear a piece I've never taken off since I've had it. He's an artist, like yourself. I'll hook yas up if u have fb or whatever he would prob even trade with you.

Very talented chicky.

'nito how about a photo of your piece?

I too enjoy Amz artworks.

I feel a little bit not happy with my lack of creative production.. dont tend to make anything at the moment.

Producing is awesome. Consuming is a bit hollow and endless.

Maybe I shall try and draw when I get home...

• Like 2

Totally sold on your Loph keychain Amz!! :)

• Like 1